Notices

Dreaded Milkshake

Old 05-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wheels61
when i got my $7000 milkshake it was due to a cracked blocked. looked good when ran on muffs. took it to the lake, not good.

I had two grenade on my 28 years ago at the same time. Ended up being bad octane fuel. That really knocked a hole in the Summer.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by NEthing4Speed

The only oil heat exchanger I have is for the power steering fluid.

You must have one, oil temps would go thru the roof without one in the system somewhere. You sure on this?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
You must have one, oil temps would go thru the roof without one in the system somewhere. You sure on this?
Yes sir, I am looking at ways of getting heat into the oil. It is probably due to the motor being raw water cooled. That is with oil pressure between 45-60 psi at idle/WOT respectively.

I am getting ready to tear off the manifold now to check for a water leak at the coolant crossovers.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most small blocks don't come from the factory with an oil cooler
Old 05-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Registered

Default Found the source of the milkshake.

I found the leak! There is a 2 1/2" long crack under the intake running parallel with the deck of the block and the lifter valley. This is common with older 350 blocks. I am sure I magnafluxed the block prior to machining it. Either I missed it initially, it cracked when torquing down the heads, or some other unknown force I am not aware of.

I am performing emergency surgery as we speak... I will post before and after pictures when I am done with the repair. The process involves drilling, tapping and loctiting cast iron pins along the crack until you reach the ends of the crack. It should be a permanent repair. I will keep everyone posted. I should have it back out on the water tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Registered

Don't bother get another block your fix won't last if it works at all
Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gregg roberts
Don't bother get another block your fix won't last if it works at all
Why do you say that? Do you think the leak will continue? Or do you think it will crack somewher else? Have you experienced the same problem before?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by NEthing4Speed
Why do you say that? Do you think the leak will continue? Or do you think it will crack somewher else? Have you experienced the same problem before?

Thats a sketchy fix at best. It may do the job in a car engine but your taking chances in a marine enviroment. It's that constant 4000-5500 rpms that really tears $hit up! Good luck, I hope it works for you.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
most small blocks don't come from the factory with an oil cooler

No chit, guess you can always learn something here. Still makes me wonder how the oil temp dosen't just climb out of site without one, dosen't seem like there would be enough air movement thru the bilge to control it. Well, I stand corrected.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Need-the-Speed
Thats a sketchy fix at best. It may do the job in a car engine but your taking chances in a marine enviroment. It's that constant 4000-5500 rpms that really tears $hit up! Good luck, I hope it works for you.
Make that 6,500 - 7,500 for this one. If I was starting with a raw block I would definitely scrap it and find a new one. This block has close to 30 hours worth of machine work. I have to at least attempt a repair. I should have it back out on the water today and I will let everyone know how it goes.

BTW, I pressure tested the repair up to 40 PSI after it was complete and found that the crack extended further than it actually appeared. I went ahead and extended the repair until it was out of sight. Hopefully I got to the end of the stress riser... We will see how it holds up.

Quick Reply: Dreaded Milkshake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.