Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
wanted to post this here too...vapor lock?? please help...thanks... >

wanted to post this here too...vapor lock?? please help...thanks...

Notices

wanted to post this here too...vapor lock?? please help...thanks...

Old 07-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanted to post this here too...vapor lock?? please help...thanks...

Originally Posted by will22 View Post
i have a 97 outlaw with a 502 Mag....basically it runs flawless when i first start it up and run it cold....when i sit all day and go to leave it fires right up again but when i go to take off it sputters and wont plane out....i can throw it in neutral and it barely will idle...ive been pumping the throttle trying to clean it out and it usually will kill it....it does that a couple times (2-3 minutes) and then all of the sudden it will just fire right up and run perfectly again? It also doesnt do this every time, its sporatic but always after i run it and then sit for a while. vapor locking? fuel filter? anyone had this problem or ideas where to start looking?

my boat issues are similar. i included will22's post on the baja forum...

my 1994 baja 454 magnum efi is having similar issues. so far noone from michigan to texas has been able to figure it out.

my repair shop has replaced the mech. fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, IAC, and water fuel sep.,

on wed. of this week i went on the test ride after they replaced the fuel pressure regulator. it ran great for an hour or so. the next morning i fire it up to do some checks and it ran on the hose to 150-160 degrees. i shut it down to do some things and about 30 minutes or so later i restart it and it ran for about 10-15 minutes. then the problems started again. similar to yours. the IAC opens and it falls on its face. i have a 6 page thread located here....http://www.teambajamarine.com/forum/...ad.php?t=15047

it's a LONG thread. this has been going on for 2.5 weeks.

its driving me and everyone else nutso. i have disregarded vapor lock because it has always restarted, but won't idle and just stalls. high pressure fuel pump reads 36psi at all times (per repair shop). this boat will idle for 25-35 minutes and then stall. this has happened 4 or 5 times since thursday morning. wednesday afternoon it ran on the water for an hour or so and did not even hiccup. me and 50 other people are stumped.

any help is appreciated
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Registered

Does this have a cool fuel system.
If so there is a problem that Mercury has a fix for.
Also it is associated with SUMMER fuel.
Let me know and I might be able to get the Mercury part number. Also I can tell you how to check if it is a cool fuel vapor lock issue.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Registered

I just sterted having a Vapor lock issue this past couple of weekends. It is a full staggered set-up and the rear motor is the problem, we are going to have the fuel pump moved to a spot that will be cooler as it is at the top of the motor currently, in the meantime a bag of ice for about ten minutes on the pump works just great....................
Old 07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something inexpensive and easy to look at would be your anti syphon/ check valve as well. if you have never changed it out it would be an easy and cheap thing to check out.