Notices

Yellow fiberglass stains

Old 07-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rob,

Nice to finally meet you in person at Royal Purple. I didn't ask, but are you using my Polish currently? The water should just sheet off instead of heavy beading. I see anywhere from 5 months up just depending on length in the water, etc...

I would buff first with the OR to remove any buildup/stains then apply the Polish by hand. Give it a clean/fresh area since you're working with the bottom.

Let me know.

Donnie
Old 07-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Registered

Have been using FSR for years.
The stuff works.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will On/Off take off decals? I used FSR last weekend but still had some yellow areas.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
Will On/Off take off decals? I used FSR last weekend but still had some yellow areas.
It might. If they are decals with printed colors on them, it will definately affect the colors. Solid color vinyls will probably do better, but not worth the risk.

Try the Slimy Grimy. It really does work well.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Registered

I have used star-brite hull cleaner on my boat and jet-ski's for the last 8 years, the vinyl stickers on the jet-ski's are still o.k. some fading but not too bad...
Old 07-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had an older Formula that did the same thing. A friend of ours had the same model that always maintained a white hull while mine yellowed out each time out. Asked him what they used to keep it from yellowing. It was a product called TSRW (This Stuff Really Works) Clean the hull and apply per instructions only once a year. If you miss a spot on application you will soon find it. Clean and reapply over missed area. There are some other products similar that I am not familiar with. Here is a link to a good article on some of them including TSRW. It kind of reminded me of Mop-N-Glow.

http://www.myboatstore.com/article.htm
Old 07-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

If it is really bad try it again, put it on thick. as thick as it will still stay on. let it sit for at least 10 minutes. longer if it isn't drying up.

after your get it white again it won't be nearly as difficult of an application. my boat's bottom was tan when I bought it... just put it on thick and let it sit for a while, after that, super light coats every once in a while.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I use ON/Off 2 or 3 time as season. I have all vynal on my boat and have never had an issue. The stuff works great and have never done any harm where it should not have. By far the best acid I have used, I am sure its just miratic acid with some other additive but it woeks better. Yes even better then the toilet bowl stuff. I use a long brush with about 1/3 gallon in the bottom of a bucket, just enough to soak the brush head. whipe it on, let it sit for about 60 secounds and hose it off good. - it will look like new.

Acid tents to also open the pores in the fiber glass to alwo future build up, so put a good coat of wax or polymer polish on shortly after if you can.

Only other bit of advise is to soak the boat and trailer first with water, I hear it can eat the metal if left unrinsed for a period of time.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I have to find out the name of it but my friend turned me onto a chemical that's 100% biodegradable and does not burn... It's used to clean stains/deposits that are in pools....