Design Experts, Rough Water Question.

Notices

Design Experts, Rough Water Question.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Extensive testing with that design has already been completed.

Based on my humble evaluation of the result, two facts emerged which must be considered should you attempt this again:

1. it needs at least a 12 foot wide wing section

2. Don't sell the company that makes the hull to anyone with a b-a-a-a-a-d temper.

T2x
LMAO
Old 08-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pic of a vee with a wing from the 86 worlds it was a european hull and may have had diesels.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:11 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by donmac
I have a pic of a vee with a wing from the 86 worlds it was a european hull and may have had diesels.
It was a Buzzi hull ...from Italy....with Seatek Diesels.... created by the inimitable Fabio Buzzi.

It is possible that "Buzzi" means "Brownie" in Italian since both men share a marvelous sense of humor........ or maybe they both attract beautiful women...... or perhaps they both have been involved in the most outragious designs in Offshore History.....

Take your pick

T2x
Old 08-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 686 Likes on 275 Posts

Hate to be a kill joy but i checked with the girlfriend and it means nothing It is just a last name .And for everybody it is pronounced Bootsy

And as my father would say if we can get by all this friviality and hilarity and get back to the subject..

Brownie thanks for the reply on ypur Nova design.What was a minor sucess the performance ?

And was wondering if you guys could answer about Levis Delta design in comparison to the American V design.

And some of Sonny Levis DRAGO 50 i found.
Attached Thumbnails Design Experts, Rough Water Question.-drago-dexsy-su-di-una-piccola-cresta-donda.jpg   Design Experts, Rough Water Question.-drago-dexsy-planata.jpg   Design Experts, Rough Water Question.-drago-dexsy.jpg  

Last edited by tommymonza; 08-04-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 686 Likes on 275 Posts

And the DELTA design
Attached Thumbnails Design Experts, Rough Water Question.-barca-bill-bull-levi.jpg   Design Experts, Rough Water Question.-bl1big.jpg  
Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tommy, minor success was sales. Performance was ggod/excellent. Sonny is a dear friend of mine. I have his book, "Dhows to Deltas" PM me and I'll let you read it. That Drago had a notch, and 'under the boat' surface drives in the 70's. Nobobdy smarter than Sonny.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Tommy:

That Drago is certainly an ungainly looking thing isn't it?

As far as the Delta design, I always loved the lines especially the "Surfury" (#111 in your picture), but , as I recall, that boat was designed in the early 60's at a time when the vee step hull was just beginning to appear on the performance scene. The lack of significant forefoot in the hull would inevitably make it more prone to stuff than the fuller Cigarettes, Donzi's, etc. If you look at the Delta boats underway, one would have to presume that they were weight balanced somewhat aft to carry the bow as well as they did.

I don't know much about them other than having raced against the outboard hull in my earlier picture ( and repeated below) in fairly big water in Lake Michigan ( Milwaukee-Chicago-Milwaukee race). That Levi designed, Souter hull was over 20 feet in length and I was racing in an 18' Eltro (see picture below with Linder driving) which was the polar opposite in terms of forward entry design. The hulls were roughly equivalent in the sea conditions, but , given the extra length of the Souter, I didn't feel like there was any real advantage over my smaller boat. At the time I simply felt that the Levi/Souter had a "stretched bow" similar to my earlier Allisons which gave length for styling purposes and to make them legal in certain racing classes without producing any real spanning ability. I can also recall clearly that the Eltro was much more stable laterally and had no where near the chine walking tendencies of the Levi/Souter....... which are clearly evident in the photo. I also remember seeing the 28' Ghost Rider..which was the dominant hull in 1965, but that seemed to have a more full bow area......

Just my .02, perhaps Brownie can recount his experiences when racing against them.

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Design Experts, Rough Water Question.-my-pictures-173.jpg   Design Experts, Rough Water Question.-my-pictures-068.jpg  

Last edited by T2x; 08-04-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Registered

Talking

T2x.....one more question (maybe a few more)

What were some of the changes Peter made when he introduced the 40??

I have heard the 40 is not there best/fastest hull....some say the 36 is.

What do you think???
Old 08-04-2008, 03:52 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck
T2x.....one more question (maybe a few more)

What were some of the changes Peter made when he introduced the 40??

I have heard the 40 is not there best/fastest hull....some say the 36 is.

What do you think???
The 40 was a big departure from his previous designs, primarily in the forward entry area for all of the reasons previously covered. It also had added reinforcement in the deck and cockpit areas for greater driver protection. As far as its performance, it was certainly as fast as anything else at that time and lent itself to being "stretched" into the early Victory hulls (by guess who?) which were very successful on the UIM circuit. If memory serves I believe Gentry set a World record in a 40 Skater so it definitely wasn't a slug. In addition the 40 was a great rough water boat and took the measure of anything and everything else out on the race course, including much larger Vees and cats.

The fact that the later 46 and 36 foot hulls might have been faster designs was simply a matter of evolution and added experience and testing on Peter's part IMHO.

T2x
Old 08-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
The 40 was a big departure from his previous designs, primarily in the forward entry area for all of the reasons previously covered. It also had added reinforcement in the deck and cockpit areas for greater driver protection. As far as its performance, it was certainly as fast as anything else at that time and lent itself to being "stretched" into the early Victory hulls (by guess who?) which were very successful on the UIM circuit. If memory serves I believe Gentry set a World record in a 40 Skater so it definitely wasn't a slug. In addition the 40 was a great rough water boat and took the measure of anything and everything else out on the race course, including much larger Vees and cats.

The fact that the later 46 and 36 foot hulls might have been faster designs was simply a matter of evolution and added experience and testing on Peter's part IMHO.

T2x

Cool, thank you....

Quick Reply: Design Experts, Rough Water Question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.