Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ >

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Notices

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I boat a lot at night. Nearly every outing, some A-hole comes roaring by (not necessarily a go fast) at an unsafe speed. Problem is, the knee jerk reaction of the authorities is to further reduce the speed limit. The perps are already breaking whatever law is in place. Lowering the speed limit only slows me down, not the A-hole.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 183 Posts

The speed limit guys are retarded. They don't even know how fast he was going. If they really want to help save lives why not outlaw boating at night. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We'll come out of this best if everyone keeps their "civilized behavior" hat on. I know that's an unreasonable request for some folks here.

We should all take inventory of our own behavior and ask ourselves how close have we come to being part of a story like this when we decided to take a chance. Unfortunatley, sides will be taken, lines drawn in the sand, various factions will get their claws out and we'll fight another version of a battle that's been fought many, many times on these boards before. Behave yourselves and act like civilized people - Like DaveP.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Tex, you've just defined what Rule 6 is meant to prevent. If you can't see ahead of you, slow the f$ck down.

"RULE 6
SAFE SPEED

Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that she can take proper and effective action to avoid collision and be stopped within a distance appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

In determining a safe speed the following factors shall be among those taken into account:

(a) By all vessels:

1. The state of visibility;
2. The traffic density including concentrations of fishing vessels or any other vessels;
3. The manageability of the vessel with special reference to stopping distance and turning ability in the prevailing conditions;
4. At night, the presence of background light such as from shore lights or from back scatter from her own lights;
5. The state of wind, sea and current, and the proximity of navigational hazards;
6. The draft in relation to the available depth of water.

(b)Additionally, by vessels with operational radar:

1. The characteristics, efficiency and limitations of the radar equipment;
2. Any constraints imposed by the radar range scale in use;
3. The effect on radar detection of the sea state, weather and other sources of interference;
4. The possibility that small vessels, ice and other floating objects may not be detected by radar at an adequate range;
5. The number, location and movement of vessels detected by radar;
6. The more exact assessment of the visibility that may be possible when radar is used to determine the range of vessels or other objects in the vicinity. "
Old 08-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to work with the girlfriend, I hope she does the right thing. I know they are innocent before being proved guilty but the way this is being handled they are obviously just trying to protect themselves. Visability is the issue here, not speed. I can see how people will use this to further their agenda.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
The speed limit guys are retarded. They don't even know how fast he was going. If they really want to help save lives why not outlaw boating at night. Seems like a no brainer to me.
wtf? outlaw boating at night? good bye sunset cruises, what no more swordfishing? I love to boat at night ,that is the dumbest thing I have heard yet.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BOBCATMATHEWS
wtf? outlaw boating at night? good bye sunset cruises, what no more swordfishing? I love to boat at night ,that is the dumbest thing I have heard yet.
I tend to believe he was just being factitious.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
We'll come out of this best if everyone keeps their "civilized behavior" hat on. I know that's an unreasonable request for some folks here.

We should all take inventory of our own behavior and ask ourselves how close have we come to being part of a story like this when we decided to take a chance. Unfortunatley, sides will be taken, lines drawn in the sand, various factions will get their claws out and we'll fight another version of a battle that's been fought many, many times on these boards before. Behave yourselves and act like civilized people - Like DaveP.
Well said.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Registered

Ok..........the latest

* I received an email from someone calling us "Murderous Scum"
* Was just interviewed by Mary Ann Spoto of the Star Ledger to hear our opinion
* Was notified by her that State Senator Sarlo will be introducing a bill for a 10mph speed limit for Barnegat Bay at night
* Our friend Willie Decamp already as the Speed Limit issue at the top of the Save Barnegat Bay website again

Here we go again.........
Old 08-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Registered

Quick Reply: Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.