Notices

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveP
Ok..........the latest

* I received an email from someone calling us "Murderous Scum"
* Was just interviewed by Mary Ann Spoto of the Star Ledger to hear our opinion
* Was notified by her that State Senator Sarlo will be introducing a bill for a 10mph speed limit for Barnegat Bay at night
* Our friend Willie Decamp already as the Speed Limit issue at the top of the Save Barnegat Bay website again

Here we go again.........
Hey Dave: Take 2 as the Barnegat Bay saga goes on... You know I will be there again to help you.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok..........the latest

* I received an email from someone calling us "Murderous Scum"
* Was just interviewed by Mary Ann Spoto of the Star Ledger to hear our opinion
* Was notified by her that State Senator Sarlo will be introducing a bill for a 10mph speed limit for Barnegat Bay at night
* Our friend Willie Decamp already as the Speed Limit issue at the top of the Save Barnegat Bay website again

Here we go again.........
how about releasing the IP or email addy, i personally dont see anything wrong with the 10mph nighttime speed limit
Old 08-06-2008, 02:54 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have done years of boating at night in everything from the East River, to lakes, bays and the Atlantic ocean, and I have never encountered any conditions where I would not have known I hit a Boston Whaler (in anything under 90 feet in length)...let alone not seen it....... I have hit a submerged log on one occasion..... but nothing that was actually floating..and I can't say if I would have seen it during the day. The only time I have ever been truly unable to see was during the day...in a dense fog.

I have never run at anywhere near my daytime speed after dark because visability is plainly not as good...... and even when hitting the log I traveled no more than a few yards after impact before stopping and looking back....... I have used spotlights when needed...... and never drove "blind". If I couldn't see ...I'd stop...period.

While I am sure that expert witnesses will be called on to discuss everything from reflected glare from shore lights, to loss of vision from instrument lighting, to the bilge pump indicator(instantly????) popping on...... the fact is that there was (admitted) recognition that a collision occurred.... that the operator had to know that something or somebody back there was damaged or injured... and that no meaningful or effective effort was made to find out what or who.

I continue to feel that too many people are boating without enough experience, that alcohol and boating don't mix, and that our waterways are overcrowded with PWC's, wake making sportfishermen, floating condo cruisers, and ...... (gasp!) bone headed guys in go fasts who have little or no regard for anybody or anything....

That doesn't mean that the majority of us fall into that category, but some of the more hot headed, bravado laden comments on OSO frequently give me pause.The bottom line is that Dave P. and NJPPC are now left to pick up the pieces of a mess that they had NOTHING to do with!!!

Don't ask me to consider the "chances I have taken"...or apologise because some thoughtless dolt sawed a Whaler in half. IMHO the one good thing to come out of the current credit crunch is that many of the boaters whose only reason for being on the water is that their neighbor bought a boat so they had to follow suit...will, hopefully, disappear.

I have been concerned about Government control since I came on this website (and for years before that)and I am frankly, surprised that we don't see more of these kinds of tragedies on bodies of water that mix everything from sailboats, to waverunners, to kayaks, to 200 mph Turbine cats on a Sunday afternoon....let alone at 1 AM.

My condolences go out to the people injured and heartbroken by this mess...and I pray that the survivors can get some form of closure.

I also lament the people who may have rushed to summarily condemn and/or defend the guilty party(s). A lot of nonsense has been posted on both sides.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 08-06-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the trouble with being responsible, you pay regardless

I've been boating at night for many decades. Now, I wait for the moonlit nights, don't go very fast, and I'm deathly afraid of smaller boats and boats without lights on. They've made me terrified to the point of being petrified. These types of accidents make me a believer. Not to mention, my vision isn't what it once was at night.

If I get the chance, day or night, I'm always on the VHF trying to report Captain Bonehead, usually to no avail. I figure if I can get even one drink, or just an ahole tubing between boats at anchor off the lake, it was worth it.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
how about releasing the IP or email addy, i personally dont see anything wrong with the 10mph nighttime speed limit
[email protected]
Old 08-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Doing a Google search turns this up.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-03/1111454399

Have to be careful, since AOL changed their systems, they reuse screen names.

This one names names, if you can figure out whom is whom.

http://www.buildingonline.com/news/viewnews.pl?id=4027

Last edited by VtSteve; 08-06-2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: more
Old 08-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
That doesn't mean that the majority of us fall into that category, but some of the more hot headed, bravado laden comments on OSO frequently give me pause.The bottom line is that Dave P. and NJPPC are now left to pick up the pieces of a mess that they had NOTHING to do with!!!

Don't ask me to consider the "chances I have taken"...or apologise because some thoughtless dolt sawed a Whaler in half. IMHO the one good thing to come out of the current credit crunch is that many of the boaters whose only reason for being on the water is that their neighbor bought a boat so they had to follow suit...will, hopefully, disappear.

My condolences go out to the people injured and heartbroken by this mess...and I pray that the survivors can get some form of closure.

I also lament the people who may have rushed to summarily condemn and/or defend the guilty party(s). A lot of nonsense has been posted on both sides.

T2x
I happen to agree with T2x....
Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Registered

My email to Roger Brown of the Boat Regulation Commission today:

Good afternoon Roger,

What happened Saturday night / Sunday morning was an absolute tragedy and horrific. I feel bad for all of the families involved as you never ever want to see something like that happen to anyone.

What is concerning to me is that 3 days after the accident everyone is jumping to conclusions as to what happened and already want to put laws in place to prevent another one. You were also quoted in the Asbury Park Press that Speed Limits are now necessary.

How can anyone do that without knowing any of the facts of the accident yet? The police don't even know the facts?

Was alcohol involved on either boat?
Were drugs involved on either boat?
Were there functional navigation lights on either boat?
What was the rate of speed of either boat?
Did either boat captain receive boating education as required by law?

The only thing we do know is that one person was killed and two were critically injured. How can everyone jump to conclusions when the police or prosecutors office do not fully understand what happened?

Also,

How many other accidents have there been this year on the waters of NJ that were speed related? What were the causes of those accidents?
How many other accidents have there been this year on the waters of NJ that occurred at night? What were the causes of those accidents?

I think the prudent thing to do would be to wait and see what the conclusion of the investigation is before anyone does anything. It absolutely amazes me how the lynch mobs turn out in full force before knowing the complete truth as to what happened?

I appreciated your prudent judgment 5 years ago when the facts were presented to you and the commission then and I would hope that prudent judgment would prevail again now.

Best Regards,
Dave Patnaude
President
NJ Performance Powerboat Club
Old 08-06-2008, 04:36 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you Dave !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong here. I boat allot at night, we run out thru the Highlands and out Raitan Bay and around the Hook to head offshore (not more than 16 knots). I have never encounted a NJ State Police boat at night and have always seen them tied up over at Sea Bright when we pass by. Have any of you seen the State Police at night?

Now, whether or not night time speed limits are good or bad aren't we going to have to employ more officers, buy more boats etc to enforce a law that is the result of a knee jerk reaction? Every person on here from NJ has got to be as disgusted as I am with all the government waste and high cost of living here.

I love the way these law makers come out and say ridiculous things about making laws without any consideration as to how to enforce them or what it costs!

These feel good laws do nothing but increase the burden to an already broke state.

Joe Gere

Quick Reply: Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.