Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ >

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Notices

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Old 08-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a copy of the email I sent to [email protected], while copying all members of the BBYRA, Sailing Clubs on Barnegat Bay as well as the Star Ledger and Asbury Park Press

Dear [email protected],

After a little Internet research of your email address I have come to find out that you appear to be a Bay Head Yacht Club member. I want to formally tell you that to send me an anonymous email with the title of it "you are scum-murderers" is highly insulting, classless and pathetic. You are a prime example of the "the lynch mob carrying the torches and pitchforks."

As for the accident this weekend, we (myself and NJ Performance Powerboat Club) were absolutely stunned and saddened by the tragedy that occurred on Sunday morning in the Metedeconk River. The gruesomeness of the accident was absolutely disturbing. We are further saddened to find out that Robert Post was a member of your yacht club and our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Now, with that said how dare you send us an email calling us "scum-murderers?" You have no clue as to who or what we are and to make an accusation like that is downright disgusting and you should be ashamed of yourself. I am sure other Bay Head Yacht Club members have more class and dignity than you have demonstrated.

For the record:
1) The people in the speed boat were never members of our organization in the past or present
2) We did have a poker run that day and the poker run was over at 1:30pm. Most of our participants we at a Poker Run Dinner and Awards Ceremony at Jenkinson's North Pavilion (by car) that evening that the accident took place.
3) We have enjoyed an exemplary safety record for 11 years since we started as an organization.

As for the lynch mobs, what is concerning to me is that 3 days after the accident everyone is jumping to conclusions as to what happened?

How can anyone do that without knowing any of the facts of the accident yet? The police don't even know the facts?

Was alcohol involved on either boat?
Were drugs involved on either boat?
Were there functional navigation lights on either boat?
What was the rate of speed of either boat?
Did either boat captain receive boating education as required by law?
Was either boat already in a no wake zone and on plane?

The only thing we do know is that one person was killed and two were critically injured. How can anyone jump to conclusions when the police and prosecutors office do not fully understand what happened?

It absolutely amazes me how the lynch mobs turn out in full force before knowing the complete truth as to what happened?

In closing, we are very sorry Robert's death. I am sure he would want you to honor him in better ways than sending accusational emails that are totally baseless. We have never painted the sailing community with a broad brush and we would appreciate if you did not do the same to us.

Best Regards,
Dave Patnaude
President
NJ Performance Powerboat Club
www.njppc.com
732-674-2946
Old 08-06-2008, 05:13 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

(Just my observation)

After seeing the boat in person from outside of the barrack's gate, I saw very little damage to the starboard side and possibly no damage on the port.

What surprises me is how high what appears to be the Whaler's bottom paint left on the other boat. It is about 1 to 1 1/2 feet back from centerline of the bow and right on the chine area about even where the bow eye is. It looks like contact was Starboard to Starboard not a broadside hit the way the Whaler pics make it a appear to be.

Just my opinion, but I think this was closer to a bow to bow collision until one of the boats turned hard to port and the bigger boat came through the side and up over the steering console then over the transom. (Again, that is just my opinion) Perhaps if the Whaler was turned hard to port that would increase the height of its waterline on the starboard side.

Just a a guess on my part, but I think if either boat was traveling at a high rate of speed, damage to both boats would have been alot worse. I think this may have been the damage of the two boats combined speed at impact. So if each were say doing 20 mph, you may have a 40 or less mph impact.

I have full faith in the investigators that they will determine the exact scenorio of what took place.

Nowhere I have read as of yet that any alcohol was confirmed to be a factor.
That too will come out in the end of the investigation for both vessels.

Pic below is only an illustration to what I saw.

I am not posting the actual pic at his time.
Attached Thumbnails Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ-example.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 08-06-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Charter Member #928
Charter Member

Boating deaths are like any, tragic. Someone always wants to get rid of the go fast when tragedy strikes. How many people died today in their cars or smoking. I think someone dies every 12 mins. in the US in their cars and how many speed limits are there? You can't regulate common cense or stupidity but I'm sure the government will keep trying. Politicians try only to get votes in these times.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Registered

Nighttime boating restrictions proposed following fatal accident
by South Jersey New Online

Wednesday August 06, 2008, 2:39 PM
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- One New Jersey lawmaker wants to force boaters to take it slow on inland waterways by imposing new speed restrictions.

State Sen. Paul Sarlo is drafting legislation in the wake of Sunday's fatal boating accident on the Metedeconk River that killed one man and injured four others.

Sarlo says nighttime boaters should be restricted to speeds as low as 10 mph in Barnegat Bay and inland waterways. There are no speed limits on those waterways now, but boaters are required to operate their crafts safely.

Sarlo says speeding combined with floating cocktail parties and unskilled boaters are recipes for disaster.

A push to impose similar speed limits several years ago resulted in a compromise to put up buoys marked "slow speed, no wake."

To contact Senator Sarlo: [email protected]
Old 08-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Registered

oh boy mr ed "gumbie cat" king made a really bad move messing with you guys
Old 08-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Registered

i feel bad for this family who lost a dad/son. it was a sensless act, that no one should have to go through. as far as politicians are concerned, they will ruin the country, along with the tree huggers and people who have nothing better to do than bad mouth others.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Registered

Dear Senator Sarlo, [email protected]

As for the accident this weekend, we (myself and NJ Performance Powerboat Club) were absolutely stunned and saddened by the tragedy that occurred on Sunday morning in the Metedeconk River. The gruesomeness of the accident was absolutely disturbing. We are further saddened to find out that Robert Post was a member of Bay Head Yacht Club and our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Today, I read online that you were quoted as saying "speeding combined with floating cocktail parties and unskilled boaters are recipes for disaster."

I am not sure if you are currently aware that:

1. It is already illegal to drink and drive a boat in the State of NJ
2. There should not be any unskilled boaters in NJ since it is now a state law that boaters must pass a Safe Boating Course in order to operate a powerboat in the state of NJ.

I am also concerned that the "lynch mobs" are coming out 3 days after the accident jumping to conclusions as to what happened?

How can anyone do that without knowing any of the facts of the accident yet? The police don't even know the facts yet?

Was alcohol involved on either boat?
Were drugs involved on either boat?
Were there functional navigation lights on either boat?
What was the rate of speed of either boat?
Did either boat captain receive boating education as required by law?
Was either boat already in a no wake zone and on plane?

The only thing we do know is that one person was killed and two were critically injured. How can anyone jump to conclusions when the police and prosecutors office do not fully understand what happened? Is it appropriate to propose new laws before knowing the complete truth as to what happened?

We would hope that all parties legislative and otherwise would wait for the true facts to be discovered and revealed before jumping to conclusions and proposing laws that may not be accurate, effective or enforceable.

Best Regards,
Dave Patnaude
President
NJ Performance Powerboat Club
604 North End Ave
Toms River NJ 08753
732-674-2946
www.njppc.com
Old 08-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 197 Likes on 104 Posts

Email sent to Senator Sarlo expressing my dissapproval to his kneejerk reaction without benefit of fact.

Might not be a bad idea for others to do the same.

I personally have no major objection to nightime speed limits as long as that is where it stops but this is a baseless discussion without speed having been determined to be a factor in Sundays tragedy.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 197 Likes on 104 Posts

You beat me to it Dave! Not that I didnt think you were already on the case.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered

Latest story from the Star Ledger

Deadly Barnegat Bay crash fuels drive for speed limits
Posted by jappezza August 06, 2008 18:41PM

A long-debated attempt to impose speed limits on the Barnegat Bay and other waterways in New Jersey gained new life today when a state senator suggested restricting night-time boat speed to 10 mph.

The proposal by Sen. Paul Sarlo (D-Bergen) is in response to Sunday's death of 49-year-old Essex Fells man whose 17-foot Boston Whaler was hit by another boat at the mouth of the Barnegat Bay in Brick Township at 1:14 a.m. The second boat left the scene of the accident, in which which killed Robert Post and injured his four passengers, including his wife.

Investigators, however, seized the 27-foot Imperial speedboat of 29-year-old Anthony DiGilio of Brick and are examining it to determine whether it was the second vessel in the crash.

Earlier today, Post's wife, Bonnie, was released from Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune, hospital spokesman Rob Cavanaugh said. The last of the hospitalized survivors, Joan Farren, 46, of Radnor, Pa., remains there in serious condition.

New Jersey State Police have not charged anyone in the incident, which is still under investigation, and have not said whether speed or alcohol was a factor. But many in the boating community have said the damage to Post's boat - a gaping chunk ripped from the starboard side - indicates the second boat was traveling at excessive speeds, particularly for a night when there was no moonlight.

"I realize efforts to impose speed limits in the past have been controversial and unsuccessful, but I believe there will be sufficient public support now," Sarlo said. "Speeding boats at night on Barnegat Bay, combined with the all-too-frequent floating cocktail parties and unskilled boaters, are recipes for disaster."

In 2003, the state Boat Regulation Commission sought to impose speed limits on portions of the bay and its tributaries but settled on increasing the number of slow-speed, no wake buoys in particular areas after getting heavy pressure from some powerboat groups. A number of recreational boaters and waterfront homeowners complained excessive speed on the bay and its tributaries damaged their boats and jeopardized their safety.

Boat Regulation Commission Chairman Roger K. Brown, who favored a speed limit, said today he welcomes the legislation.

"I think I've got a lot of public opinion on my side this time," Brown said. "Before, we were talking about noise. Now we're talking about people getting killed and injured. He will get the support of the Boat Regulation Commission."

Dave Patnaude, president of the New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club, said the legislation may be premature because the investigation is not complete.

"Everyone is jumping to conclusions, (saying) 'It was speed, it was alcohol, it was recklessness,'" he said. "Nobody clearly understands or knows why this happened. I'd hate to see something of a knee-jerk reaction happen before the facts are fully known."

Quick Reply: Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.