Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Notices

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Old 08-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Wednesday August 06, 2008, 2:39 PM
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) -- One New Jersey lawmaker wants to force boaters to take it slow on inland waterways by imposing new speed restrictions.

State Sen. Paul Sarlo is drafting legislation in the wake of Sunday's fatal boating accident on the Metedeconk River that killed one man and injured four others.

Sarlo says nighttime boaters should be restricted to speeds as low as 10 mph in Barnegat Bay and inland waterways. There are no speed limits on those waterways now, but boaters are required to operate their crafts safely.

Sarlo says speeding combined with floating cocktail parties and unskilled boaters are recipes for disaster.

A push to impose similar speed limits several years ago resulted in a compromise to put up buoys marked "slow speed, no wake."
Is this an accurate portrayal of the area where the crash occurred? Was it a NWZ?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a law about drinking and driving = but there are still floating cocktail parties
There is a law for unskilled boaters = but there are still people who have never taken a safe boating course

Now they want to install a 10mph limit at night...

If they can't enforce the first 2 that are alrready on the books how the heck are they going to enforce this one?

GAME ON............
Old 08-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

dave not for nothing BUT honestly thanks for all you do bro.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DaveP
There is a law about drinking and driving = but there are still floating cocktail parties
There is a law for unskilled boaters = but there are still people who have never taken a safe boating course

Now they want to install a 10mph limit at night...

If they can't enforce the first 2 that are alrready on the books how the heck are they going to enforce this one?

GAME ON............
I agree
Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Registered

I just received an apology from Ed King who sent the "Murderous Scum" Email.

"Dave, You are right, please accept my apology."

Apology accepted!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Email sent
Old 08-06-2008, 09:36 PM
Registered

Here is my actual response:

Ed,

Thank you for your email - apology accepted!

On Sunday morning when I learned of the accident the first thing I did was call the State Police in Pt. Pleasant and Trooper Rich Capputo to volunteer my services to help find the speedboat.

We want to petition the NJ Legislature to INCREASE the funding of the NJ State Police Marine Bureau so accidents like this don't happen again. The NJ State Police are WAY under funded to cover all of the Waterways of NJ especially the Metedeconk and Barnegat Bay. There are tons of laws that are already on the books that need enforcement.............

Help us get more funding to put more Troopers on the waters to help protect all of us. It would be a geat way to honor your friend.

We know what it is like to lose a close friend. He didn't die in a boating accident but of cancer at the age of 38 two years ago. He was a huge part of our club, a great guy, huge heart and always giving to those less fortunate. His name was Scott Applegate. One of his last wishes was to do his last poker run with us.

http://www.lucidideefastboats.com/im...Our_Hearts.wmv

He died 8 weeks after most of the photos in this video were taken.

Please express our greatest sympathies to the Post family and that we will do all we can to try and make the waterways safer so something like this never happens again.

Best Regards,
Dave Patnaude
President
NJ Performance Powerboat Club
www.njppc.com
Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just received an apology from Ed King who sent the "Murderous Scum" Email.

"Dave, You are right, please accept my apology."

Apology accepted!
A great start. Now it's time for them to wait to see what happened, and hold their tongues and proposals. It's no wonder silly laws get passed all the time. The cops must go crazy trying to remember them all, much less get fuel for their boats
Old 08-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Registered

Here is my actual response:

Ed,

Thank you for your email - apology accepted!

On Sunday morning when I learned of the accident the first thing I did was call the State Police in Pt. Pleasant and Trooper Rich Capputo to volunteer my services to help find the speedboat.

We want to petition the NJ Legislature to INCREASE the funding of the NJ State Police Marine Bureau so accidents like this don't happen again. The NJ State Police are WAY under funded to cover all of the Waterways of NJ especially the Metedeconk and Barnegat Bay. There are tons of laws that are already on the books that need enforcement.............

Help us get more funding to put more Troopers on the waters to help protect all of us. It would be a geat way to honor your friend.

We know what it is like to lose a close friend. He didn't die in a boating accident but of cancer at the age of 38 two years ago. He was a huge part of our club, a great guy, huge heart and always giving to those less fortunate. His name was Scott Applegate. One of his last wishes was to do his last poker run with us.

http://www.lucidideefastboats.com/im...Our_Hearts.wmv

He died 8 weeks after most of the photos in this video were taken.

Please express our greatest sympathies to the Post family and that we will do all we can to try and make the waterways safer so something like this never happens again.

Best Regards,
Dave Patnaude
President
NJ Performance Powerboat Club
www.njppc.com
Dave, you are a class act.
Ric Monteiro
Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Registered

BTW, I also shot an email to the Sen.

Quick Reply: Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.