Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Old 08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by oreo11zeus
I wonder if a louder boat would have given them more warning"
This boat was plenty loud.

If this was the same boat I heard coming up the inlet and then ran outside for a bit, I had no problem hearing it over the music at Jenkinson. I will have to go back to see if I had any pics of it in the inlet. It was too far away for the camera I had that night so I know it wouldn't be all that clear. Plus it was already getting dark by then.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that was a Baja
Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
I thought that was a Baja
Might have been.

I did not get a good look at it. Do you know for sure?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Registered

Not a 100 %
Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

I found nothing but 1 commercial fishing vessel I shot coming in the inlet.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Widow seeks crash witnesses

Sunday boat accident killed her husband

By MARGARET F. BONAFIDE
STAFF WRITER

The widow of the man who was killed in a hit-and-run boating collision on the Metedeconk River on Sunday is pleading with the public to come forward with information to help law enforcement with the investigation.

Bonnie Post, 52, who was critically injured in the early-morning collision, was released Wednesday from Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune and is preparing for her husband's funeral services, which will be held Saturday in Caldwell.

Post, through her attorney, is asking people who may have seen the speedboat involved in the crash anytime last Saturday night or Sunday morning to come forward and help explain how or why the operator of the speedboat "left the scene of a horrendous crash where she and her friends could have easily drowned," Post said in a statement released Thursday.

Post is being represented by Daniel J. Carluccio of Carluccio, Leone, Dimon Doyle and Sacks in Toms River. Carluccio is a former Ocean County prosecutor.

"Mrs. Post suffered serious personal injuries when her husband's boat was run down. The crash also injured three friends on the Post's boat," Carluccio said in his statement.

Sgt. Valentino Borrelli, who is part of the investigative team going over the evidence,
said that a boat owned by Anthony Digilio, 29, of Brick was involved in a collision. This was determined after authorities got a search warrant.

Cliff and Joan Farren of Pennsylvania, 45 and 46 respectively, and Karen Kelly of Georgia were on the 16-foot Boston Whaler Katama with the Posts when the boat was run over, killing Robert Post, authorities said.

The Whaler had previously been reported by authorities as being 17 feet in length.

Eyewitnesses told investigators that the boat that hit them kept going, never slowing or stopping to assist them.

William Cunningham, an attorney and former member of the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office, is representing Digilio. He said his client was riding on the river about the same time the fatal collision occurred, although he denied any knowledge of having hit a boat with five people aboard. Cunningham said his client told him that he believed that his boat struck a log in the water.

Digilio and his girlfriend, Krista Behrend of Brick, had been out for a ride on the ocean in the early hours of Sunday morning. Cunningham said they were heading back and planned to place the boat onto a lift at a home on the Metedeconk River. In the morning, Digilio and his father, Joseph Digilio of Brick, took the boat home to survey the damage, Cunningham said.

The authorities have not been able to speak to Digilio or his girlfriend since the
incident. Behrend also has enlisted an attorney, authorities said.

The fatal collision has brought heavy criticism upon the entire speedboating population, said Dave Patnaude, president of the New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club.

The criticism is unwarranted, he said, because people are drawing conclusions before the law enforcement has had the opportunity to conduct a thorough investigation.

The collision occurred in a channel of water called Gunners Ditch, which is at the eastern most end of Metedeconk River, starting at the Mantoloking Bridge. It is primarily a no-wake passage zone to the northern most end of Barnegat Bay, Patnaude explained.

"I have been through there at night," Patnaude said. "It is extremely dark, and there
was very little moonlight" last weekend.

"I don't agree that he drove over the boat and that he did not know it," Patnaude said.
"One thousand percent, I believe this is a god-awful tragedy."

Patnaude said that Digilio is not a member of the Performance Powerboat Club.

"The thing I have a problem with is a rush to judgment as to what" the cause was,
Patnaude said.

"There are so many (unknown) things," he said. "Was alcohol involved on one boat and or both boats, or did both boats have their navigational lights on and functioning, were they in a no-wake zone, and what speed and direction was each boat going?"

Patnaude said this is a time to gather facts about what happened, help police with
information and wait for the answers. Calls for new laws lowering the nighttime boating speed limit are not necessary, he said, because the current laws are sufficient if State Police have the staffing to enforce them.

Cuts to the state budget have left a small number of State Police available to enforce the current laws, Patnaude said, and that is obvious on the waterways in the state patrolled by the marine bureau.

"The State Police presence on the Metedeconk and Barnegat Bay has been minimal," Patnaude said. "Everything across the state has been cut back."

The marine police presence is "slim on the bay and the river because they don't have the money to put out a decent-size force," Patnaude said.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered

Dave, I don't live in NJ anymore, but still thank you for the effort you put forth in the past, as well as all the effort you'll need to put into this latest round of the same old thing.

folks, if you go to www.app.com , take a quick peek at the comments accompanying these stories. You'll get a look at what Dave and other NJ boaters have to deal with.......

Here's an example:

Replying to seagoat22:

NGH144 wrote: "These types of boats are used for just 2 things. Raceing and drug smuggling. Since there was no race at 1 AM that leaves one thing.".......no NGH, actually three things.......you forgot, 'Guido' uses this type of boat to announce to the whole freakin' world that he's arriving at the waterside bar so that everybody sees his gold necklaces, pinky rings, steroid-injected body and bleach-blonde bimbo. We've all seen the type. It's part of Guido's 'culture'.....he can't help it.

AWESOME POST!!! I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY
8/8/2008 8:19:50 AM

I see postings there from Activator22? That someone on the board? Seems like it...........
Old 08-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Registered

Thanks Gary!

Update from the letter & email front:

I received an email from Senator Andy Ciesla. I have known Andy for a while and his email was very candid and I will not post it on here as it was a private email. But....

His closing line in the email was "At this point…..I think we all wait………an absence of fact makes bad law."

So true!
Old 08-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Registered

We received 2 very nice emails from the BBYRA

Toms River, NJ - August 8, 2008

Update from the letter & email front:

I received the following very nice email from Bob Morrow & Rich Proko who are Commodore & Vice Commodore of the Barnegat Bay Yacht Racing Assoc. www.bbyra.org

It was great to receive such emails from them. This is a true testament to the greatly improved relations we have forged with the sailing community on Barnegat Bay over the last 5 years.

The following are the emails....

Dave,
I have watched with sadness the news stories on TV about the tragedy on the water last weekend. My sadness only deepened when I witnessed the unfortunate and unwarrented attack on all performance power boaters by one of the BBYRA's own members.

Please know, as I believe you already do, that the impulsive and innappropriate attack by that member was in no way indicative of any official position of organized sailing from the Barnegat Bay Yacht Racing Association. In recent years the BBYRA and the NJPPC have enjoyed cordial and respectful relations that have ONLY furthered the enjoyment of both power boaters and sailors on our mutual waters. The BBYRA is pledged to continue the pursuit of mutual respect between our two organizations specifically and members of the power boat and sailing community in general.

We at the BBYRA wish you and the members of the overall boating community on Barnegat Bay a continued summer of enjoyment.

With best regards,
Bob Morrow
Commodore/BBYRA

Dave,

I echo Bob's comments and trust that one person's unfortunate comments do not reflect poorly on the sailing community.

Please know that I, too, believe the troopers need more help. The mutual respect and cooperation between our organizations is just one way in which we can make their jobs easier. My wish is for all boaters, be they power or sailors, enjoy the water and return safely to shore.

On a lighter note, the summer days are getting shorter, back to school plans are already starting and labor day is just around the corner. Here's hoping that the rest of the summer is safe and enjoyable for everyone in both our organizations.

Stay in touch.

Regards,
Rich Proko
Vice Commodore/BBYRA

Last edited by DaveP; 08-08-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by McGary911
Dave, I don't live in NJ anymore, but still thank you for the effort you put forth in the past, as well as all the effort you'll need to put into this latest round of the same old thing.

folks, if you go to www.app.com , take a quick peek at the comments accompanying these stories. You'll get a look at what Dave and other NJ boaters have to deal with.......

Here's an example:

Replying to seagoat22:

NGH144 wrote: "These types of boats are used for just 2 things. Raceing and drug smuggling. Since there was no race at 1 AM that leaves one thing.".......no NGH, actually three things.......you forgot, 'Guido' uses this type of boat to announce to the whole freakin' world that he's arriving at the waterside bar so that everybody sees his gold necklaces, pinky rings, steroid-injected body and bleach-blonde bimbo. We've all seen the type. It's part of Guido's 'culture'.....he can't help it.

AWESOME POST!!! I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY
8/8/2008 8:19:50 AM

I see postings there from Activator22? That someone on the board? Seems like it...........

Yeah, just saw those posts. Not a very good representation of the performance boat enthusiasts in general, but it looks like some people are dead set in their opinion. I find that poeple automatically think just because your boat is loud that it must be going fast. Loud does not always equal fast. Some people will just never understand.

Quick Reply: Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.