Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Notices

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Old 08-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more bad press

The Midnight Killer - 08/06/2008
Hardly a week goes by in the summertime that we don’t read about a fisherman, kayaker, or spooning couple being mowed down at night by a high-speed powerboat. Often the perp has been drinking.

http://www.boattest.com/Resources/vi...px?NewsID=2802
Old 08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Registered

What's the manufacturers seating capacity of the 16-foot Boston Whaler in question?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Registered

the aap blog someone asked and another answered 7.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Registered

In wake of fatal boat crash, a call to curb speeders
Sunday, August 10, 2008
BY MARYANN SPOTO
Star-Ledger Staff

Just days after an Essex Fells man was killed in a boat crash last weekend, Dave Patnaude, president of the New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club, received an anonymous e-mail calling his members "scum-murderers."

The man under investigation for possibly causing the collision that killed 49-year-old Robert Post and injured his four passengers is not a member of the Powerboat Club, and the New Jersey State Police have not charged anyone in the crash.

But the incident has stirred anger among boaters and reinvigo rated debates about how to rein in speeders on Barnegat Bay and its tributaries.

"I won't go out on weekends be cause there're too many lunatics," said Kevin Giles of Jackson, the owner of a 32-foot Parker pleasure boat with twin 250-horsepower engines. "You got other people who just don't care."

Giles keeps his boat in Canal Point Marina, a few hundred yards from where Post kept his 17-foot Boston Whaler near his condominium on the Bay Head-Point Pleasant border.

Giles didn't know Post but said the crash was the talk of the marina last week. The Boston Whaler, traveling near a strait between Her ring Island and the Brick Township shoreline at the mouth of the Me tedeconk River, was T-boned at 1:14 a.m. Sunday by a boater who never stopped.

State Police spent much of that day canvassing the area asking mariners to report any vessels with hull damage.

On Monday, Anthony DiGilio, 29, of Brick, told State Police through his attorney that he was in the area at the time of the accident and turned over to them his 27-foot Imperial speedboat, which had been in the garage of his home. The attorney, William Cunningham, said DiGilio remembers hitting something but thought it was a log.

State Police have not said whether excessive speed was involved, but the gaping hole on the starboard side of the Boston Whaler has fueled speculation the culprit boat was going too fast for conditions that night, a little more than a day off a new moon when skies are very dark.

"For that kind of a piece to be taken out of there, it had to be hit on the glance and it had to be going pretty fast," said Donald Baker, past commander of the Raritan Bay Power Squadron and a boating safety course instructor.

Virgil Chambers, executive di rector of the National Safe Boating Council, said nighttime on the water is very challenging for boaters -- even when they're moving slowly.

"On the water when it's dark, it's extremely difficult to judge distance and detect navigation lights," he said. "Somebody's out there at night. They don't see anybody. They just open it (the throttle) up. It's very difficult to see the navigation lights of another boat and sud denly you're on top of them."

Like many waterways throughout the country, neither the Barnegat Bay nor its tributaries has a speed limit. In the absence of a speed limit, boaters are taught to maintain proper lookout and a safe speed, both of which appeared to be lacking in this accident, Chambers said.

But just what constitutes safe speed is open to interpretation, according to Baker.

"That's something that's going to be argued in court by lawyers because there's no definition."

In response to the crash, state Sen. Paul Sarlo (D-Bergen) has proposed putting a 10 mph nighttime speed restriction on the bay and all other New Jersey inland waterways.

Some boaters, however, have criticized that idea as unenforceable, particularly when police already appear to be scarce on the water.

"There are not enough cops to enforce the rules," said Ernie Wagner of Point Pleasant Borough, the owner of a 31-foot Albemarle fishing boat. "I don't see any answer except people have to take it on their own to be more responsible."

That was what state officials had in mind when in 2006, New Jersey started requiring boaters to take a safety course. By next June, all those who operate boats powered by an engine will have had to complete the program. Currently, the state has issued more than 353,600 safety certificates, a large number of which were prompted by the new law, state police said.

Police departments along the bay and its tributaries have reported cutting back on their marine patrols.

Toms River tried to establish a marine unit, but budget issues kept the department with only one auxiliary officer patrolling the water, said Police Chief Michael Mastronardy.

Brick Township established a 12-person marine unit about four years ago, but a manpower shortage has forced the department to take to the waters mostly on holidays and for special events.

Mantoloking Police Chief Mark Wright said his agency reduced patrols by one day because of the price of fuel. So now the police boats are out on Saturdays and Sundays only, the heaviest boating days of the week, he said.

"The biggest thing with this whole boating situation is education," he said. "There are some people who just purchase boats and have no clue about where to operate them and how to operate them."

The cuts coincide with a drop in the number of boaters on the water. Wright, a boater, said he's noticed fewer people on the bay this season.

And state boater registration figures bear that out. By June 2006, there were 191,241 registered pleasure boats in New Jersey, according to the state Motor Vehicle Commission. That figure dropped to 184,799 the following year, and dipped again to 182,205 as of this past June.

That decrease, Mastronardy said, may make some boaters feel there is more room on the water for speed.

And that prompts other boaters to push for speed boats to be restricted to the ocean.

"I don't think (high-performance) boats belong on the bays or rivers. They're dangerous and shouldn't be out there. Period," said Louise Huber of Point Pleasant Borough, the new owner of a 14-foot rowboat. "It's like driving a race car on the Turnpike. You can't do it. It's just too dangerous."

Patnaude, the president of the New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club, said he's used to attacks from some boaters. He touts his club's safety record -- 11 years of events on the water without one accident -- as his defense.

"What happened Saturday night/Sunday morning was an absolute God-awful event. All of us in the boating community are sick over what happened," he said. "The most concerning thing to me is everyone is jumping to conclusions."

Maryann Spoto may be reached at [email protected] or (732) 462-8603.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveP
Tragic Boat Accident Turns into RENEWED CALL FOR SPEED LIMITS!

Toms River, NJ - August 6, 2008

We even received a rediculous call from a gentleman yesterday who wanted to know what our poker run schedule was last year because his sister was injured by a wake from a speed boat. I asked the gentleman what date, time and location did it occur and for a description of the boat? He said he did not know? I then asked well if he he did not know the time and date of the accident how in the world did he think one of our Poker Run boats was the cause of the wake that cause the injury? He accused me of being defensive and told me to never call him again!

I will keep everyone updated on this matter as more information about this story continues as well as the renewed push for speed limits. As you can see, because of a tragic accident without any knowledge of the facts yet, the lynch mob yielding pitchforks is out and looking for someone to blame.

Best Regards,
Dave Patnaude
President
NJ Performance Powerboat Club
Dave,
Can you say "fishing for money " americas greatest lottery LAWSUITS!!!!! Damn dirt bags
Old 08-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

Great job with all of this

It is very dishearting to read that some stereotypes dont go away even in performance boating

Keep up the great work
Old 08-10-2008, 07:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveP
We received 2 very nice emails from the BBYRA

Toms River, NJ - August 8, 2008

Update from the letter & email front:

I received the following very nice email from Bob Morrow & Rich Proko who are Commodore & Vice Commodore of the Barnegat Bay Yacht Racing Assoc. www.bbyra.org

It was great to receive such emails from them. This is a true testament to the greatly improved relations we have forged with the sailing community on Barnegat Bay over the last 5 years.

The following are the emails....

Dave,
I have watched with sadness the news stories on TV about the tragedy on the water last weekend. My sadness only deepened when I witnessed the unfortunate and unwarrented attack on all performance power boaters by one of the BBYRA's own members.

Please know, as I believe you already do, that the impulsive and innappropriate attack by that member was in no way indicative of any official position of organized sailing from the Barnegat Bay Yacht Racing Association. In recent years the BBYRA and the NJPPC have enjoyed cordial and respectful relations that have ONLY furthered the enjoyment of both power boaters and sailors on our mutual waters. The BBYRA is pledged to continue the pursuit of mutual respect between our two organizations specifically and members of the power boat and sailing community in general.

We at the BBYRA wish you and the members of the overall boating community on Barnegat Bay a continued summer of enjoyment.

With best regards,
Bob Morrow
Commodore/BBYRA

Dave,

I echo Bob's comments and trust that one person's unfortunate comments do not reflect poorly on the sailing community.

Please know that I, too, believe the troopers need more help. The mutual respect and cooperation between our organizations is just one way in which we can make their jobs easier. My wish is for all boaters, be they power or sailors, enjoy the water and return safely to shore.

On a lighter note, the summer days are getting shorter, back to school plans are already starting and labor day is just around the corner. Here's hoping that the rest of the summer is safe and enjoyable for everyone in both our organizations.

Stay in touch.

Regards,
Rich Proko
Vice Commodore/BBYRA

Wow, wish some of the Annapolis sailors were more like this. I was out with my daughter a couple weeks ago, i tell her to wave to everyone, she waves and some scum on a sailboat flicks her the finger. As much as I wanted to swing around and womp him, it only would have served the point...She still waved to everyone the rest of the day...I am proud of her...
Old 08-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Wow, wish some of the Annapolis sailors were more like this. I was out with my daughter a couple weeks ago, i tell her to wave to everyone, she waves and some scum on a sailboat flicks her the finger. As much as I wanted to swing around and womp him, it only would have served the point...She still waved to everyone the rest of the day...I am proud of her...
Amazing isn't it Rob!

Last weekend I was leaving the dock, already underway and idling out... Some jackazz in a sailboat, under power, decides he's going to push off from the dock and proceeds to come straight at me, nearly spearing the side of my boat. His bow pulpit was literally 2 ft away from the side of my boat and I had to hit the throttles to get away from him.

This dude had nerve to start yelling at me when I was in the channel idling out and had the right of way.... If he was ahead of me I would have put it in reverse but he was coming from the side and would have hit my boat just past midship....

The good thing is if he hit me there were at least 30 winesses who could have told the authorities what really happened....
Old 08-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther

The good thing is if he hit me there were at least 30 winesses who could have told the authorities what really happened....
But would they??
Or is the loud, fast boat the problem?
You were gunning the engines (albeit to get out of the way).
Perception could be half the battle.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:25 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Just this past week an OSO member encountered a sizeable object on his radar screen while out at night. He could not see it until he was about on top it...

Amazingly he came to find it was a sail boat with no running lights while under sail. The only light he saw was a flashlight pointing at the main sail which was hardly bright enough to see either...

Another particular boater had made this comment, "You also testified that one must be your height of 6 feet 7 inches to be able to see where they are going at 30 mph in your 37 foot *********** performance boat." Which I recall was a response for the brief moment that the boat was getting on plane.
This same boater seems to forget when sailboats are keeling over and depending on the boat, the whole boat becomes a blindspot not to mention the sail area of the sails that block their vision as well.

I feel the powerboater and sail boaters have made huge strides in getting along and sharing the same waters. There are always a few (on both sides) that just don't seem to ever want that relationship to work.
At least it is evident from the emails that Dave received that the leadership of one of the sail boat organizations will not let this accident rip apart all of the hard work on both sides have done over the many years...

Afterall, this was an "ACCIDENT". A tragic one at that and unfortunately Robert Post lost his life. May God be with his family at this time...

It is very troubling to see and hear the quick rush to judgement without anyone knowing the facts first...

I had to bite my tongue when I heard accusations being made in a local supermarket the other day. Perhaps if I wasn't on the job, I may have had a few words for these two people to think about their accusations they had been tossing out loud enough for all to hear at the checkout counter.

I was so tempted to ask that employee if he had 1st hand knowledge of what he was stating and if so, the authorities would be interested in talking with him.

But I highly doubt he had any knowledge of anything and I would have end up getting in trouble at my day job for having an issue with a customer's employee.

NJ's finest are on the job and leaving no stone unturned. I am sure they will cover all of the bases and tracks for where everyone involved was 24 hours prior to this accident.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.