Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ >

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Notices

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Old 08-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 313 Likes on 185 Posts

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs...TES01/80805008

The man authorities believe could have been at the helm of the speedboat when it collided with a 17-foot Boston Whaler on the Metedeconk River about 1 a.m. Sunday met with an attorney Monday to help them with their case. One man was killed and four were injured in the accident.

“I don’t know that it was his boat that hit the Whaler,” said attorney William Cunningham who is representing Anthony Digilio, 29, of Brick. State Police and members of the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office had forensic experts working Monday to determine if Digilio's Imperial speedboat was responsible for the damage that caused the death and injuries. The Digilio family has been fully cooperating with authorities since they realized they had a possible connection to the tragedy, Cunningham said.

Anthony Digilio told Cunningham he ran over something on his way home on the Metedeconk River and had noticed that the mid shift bilge was on and he assumed he was taking on water.

Digilio thought he had hit a log, Cunningham said today. Digilio and his girlfriend never saw or heard anything while they were traveling on the river when they hit something they believed was a log, Cunningham said.

Anytime, especially at 1 o’clock in the morning, that the bilge pump activates itself , the safest response is to get the boat out of the water “Or you are swimming,’’ Cunningham said.

Digilio and his girlfriend Krista Behrend of Brick, had been out for a ride on the ocean late Sunday and were heading back to moor the boat at a relative’s home on the Metedeconk River. They planned to place the boat on the relative's lift. In the morning, Anthony Digilio and his father, Joseph, of Brick took the boat home to see the damage, Cunningham said.

Digilio found out that his boat may have been involved in the fatal collision after his girlfriend received a text message from a friend asking if they were OK because there was a boat accident on the news and they were asking if they got home all right, Cunningham said.

They inferred that the news was reporting the accident happened about the same time and place that they believed they hit a log, Cunningham said.

Digilio contacted the attorney, who called the Point Pleasant Police, was directed to Brick Police then finally to State Police Marine division, Cunningham said.

“I don’t think drinking was a part of this,’’ Cunningham said.

The Digilios were absolutely distraught over the idea that they may have caused harm to the family, Cunningham said.

“They were in my office for over three hours Monday and were so upset,’’ Cunningham said. “Not for themselves but for the prospect that they may have injured someone. The family had no idea what they could or should do for the victims, it was obvious that the victims were good people and well respected in the community.”

Cunningham said that the Digilios immediately called authorities and said to come and get the boat, after seeing the damage once it was removed from lift and placed on the trailer and taken to the garage in Brick. The boat was taken to the Digilio home on Frank Neri Drive in Brick and that was when they called Cunningham and authorities to come get the boat.

The Digilio family wants to cooperate fully with the law-enforcement investigation, Cunningham said.

Cunningham, who is a private practice attorney and retired member of the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office, was instrumental in gaining a conviction in the case of Barry Flowers, whose yacht ran over a smaller boat killing three fishermen and maiming a third in 2000.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duh

Even a retard know the difference between hitting a log and hitting a boat, unless their names are Anthony or Tex.
Tex, I wish it was you sitting in that Boston Whaler, I bet you would be singing a different tune. You suck!
Too bad they don't have a middle finger smilie, I would give it to you.
Another black mark for the power boating community, especially sad for the ones that act responsibly, we are all going to be lumped in the same category as that idiot.
What do you expect the attorney to say? $$$$$$$
My thoughts are with the people in the Boston Whaler.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

The case far from over and I'm sure much more will unfold in the days, weeks and years following this incident..

Last edited by Panther; 08-06-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy couldn't tell the difference between a log and a 17 foot Whaler, couldn't hear the people's screams, yet he heard his bilge pump kick on?

And he just happened to hire the same lawyer that convicted Barry Flowers?

Sorry, but that entire story smells like bullchit.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
...since they realized they had a possible connection to the tragedy...
Well, that's one way to put it. Hard to believe you don't know the difference between hitting a log and a 17-ft. boat filled with people. Was it confirmed that he tried to get the VIN numbers off the boat?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:56 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmn
yet he heard his bilge pump kick on?
Not for nothin' but I do not see anywhere in the above statement that they said they heard a pump come on.

Here is the actual quote: "had noticed that the mid shift bilge was on and he assumed he was taking on water. "

Please stick to the facts or statements as they are written without adding something that was not said.

How would he have known the bilge came on in total darkness ? Well have a look at the switch panel. If I am not mistaken, those lines on the top four switches of the panel are what I believe are the lights inside the switches indicating they are on or in operation. Also with my assumption the switch labeled "PUMPS" being bilge pumps.
Attached Thumbnails Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ-switch-panel.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by BlackJack58
[B] Was it confirmed that he tried to get the VIN numbers off the boat?
This is one piece of information I would like to know.

Was it simply just missing the hull number on the transom, or was there fresh scratch marks ? In my opinion, I think they might just have been missing.

There is a very good reason that this boat may not have the numbers in the upper right hand corner of the transom and it has nothing to do with this accident.

Why scratch the area if a number wasn't there to begin with ?
Attached Images  

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 08-05-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharkey - point taken.

Even if he does have an inidicator on the dash for the pump, I still think the story stinks and I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

There is only a half a dozen people who know what exactly happened that night.

The Authorities will figure it all out once their investigation is finished ...

Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is always % of fault on both sides sad story hope booze was not the reason for not stopping

Quick Reply: Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.