Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ >

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Notices

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Old 08-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being in the business of defending many who I would say are P'sOS, I would have to say this guy would be at the top of the list. Bill Cunningham is the go to guy if you're in serious trouble in Ocean County, NJ and he is just trying to do his job. I think that the Police will put the squeeze on the driver's girlfriend, she'll turn on him or face a plethora of charges also and he'll have to cop a plea. I truly feel for the families who lost a loved one and those injured. The inevitable is that the local authorities will really put the squeeze on the performance boating community which will require all of the NJPPC's resources to keep us afloat.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Registered

Today my brother told me that he has worked with Anthony Digilio on a professional level and had only good things to say about him. I don't know what did or didn't happen during the early hours of Sunday morning, but the circumstances of this accident are unfortunate and my thoughts go out to all those involved.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Registered

Guess we all know this was coming, huh?

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...NEWS/808060401

Dave P did a lot to fend this off last time. Any tragedy on the water automatically opens up the cave where the speed limit people live
Old 08-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Registered

who didnt see this comin' ?

nj wasted no time to jump on the bandwagon and take advantage of this accident to try to implement speed limits now.

your local njppc club is going to be real busy fightin them off once again...

SPEED LIMIT FOR BOATS SOUGHT FOLLOWING TRAGEDY

good luck
Old 08-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i've always said that after sunset there should be a 25mph speed limit...theres no need to go faster then that at night...PERIOD
Old 08-06-2008, 08:03 AM

Its already starting, Our buddy De-Camp is shouting for speed regulations again! What makes me laugh is his remark if Speedboats want to go fast they should do it in the Ocean? If I remember a few years back didn't a big cruiser run over a 19ft fishboat in the Ocean killing people?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

I feel sorry for all concerned - on both sides. If the driver of the larger boat was as nice a guy as he is described by some folks on here (heresay, whatever) then he will surely feel dreadful for the rest of his life. He was stupid - I'm sure he realises that. I guess he got scared and ran - totally the wrong thing to do of course, but ran none the less.

Prayers for the surviving folks and families/friends.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Registered

Tragic Boat Accident Turns into RENEWED CALL FOR SPEED LIMITS!

Toms River, NJ - August 6, 2008

Good Morning everyone,

As you have read my previous email regarding this weekend's tragic accident, there has been a renewed call for Speed Limits on the waters of New Jersey.

To quote from the story in the Asbury Park Press:

"State Police Sgt. Stephen Jones has said, "the preliminary evidence indicates that both boats were moving at the time of the crash," with no comment as to whether speed-ing was involved.

However, the chairman of the state Boat Regulation Commission feels that now is the time to implement speed limits on boats and boaters.

The state has no exact speed limit for boats. The State Police Boating Safety Manual and state law say vessels should be operated at safe speeds.

"I'd very much like to push it (a speed limit) through," Roger K. Brown of Brick, commission chairman and a boater, said Tuesday.

Brown said he will bring copies of news stories about the fatal accident to the other eight members of the commission. The panel next meets at 10 a.m. Sept. 10 in Margate.

"When it gets dark on the water, you lose all visibility," Brown said. "And if you're going too fast, that just compounds the situation."

Several years ago NJPPC sprearheaded the movement against Speed Limits and successfully proved that speed was not the major factor in most boating accidents and that lack of boater knowledge / education was.

I have come to know Roger Brown pretty well since then and I have attended all of the NJ Boat Regulation Commission meetings so far this year.

I think it is EXTREMELY premature to be calling for speed limits when the State Police and other investigators have no conclusion as to the facts of this accident.

I plan on placing a call to Roger Brown today and plan on meeting with him to discuss this matter further.

We even received a rediculous call from a gentleman yesterday who wanted to know what our poker run schedule was last year because his sister was injured by a wake from a speed boat. I asked the gentleman what date, time and location did it occur and for a description of the boat? He said he did not know? I then asked well if he he did not know the time and date of the accident how in the world did he think one of our Poker Run boats was the cause of the wake that cause the injury? He accused me of being defensive and told me to never call him again!

I will keep everyone updated on this matter as more information about this story continues as well as the renewed push for speed limits. As you can see, because of a tragic accident without any knowledge of the facts yet, the lynch mob yielding pitchforks is out and looking for someone to blame.

Best Regards,
Dave Patnaude
President
NJ Performance Powerboat Club
Old 08-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 310 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by davere
Even a retard know the difference between hitting a log and hitting a boat, unless their names are Anthony or Tex.
Tex, I wish it was you sitting in that Boston Whaler, I bet you would be singing a different tune. You suck!
Too bad they don't have a middle finger smilie, I would give it to you.
Another black mark for the power boating community, especially sad for the ones that act responsibly, we are all going to be lumped in the same category as that idiot.
What do you expect the attorney to say? $$$$$$$
My thoughts are with the people in the Boston Whaler.
I don't enjoy being "that guy" but you guys don't leave me much choice when I read post about this guy deserves to die. I think the log story is plausable. These whalers sit very low in the water, even lower with 5 full size adults. Compound that it was night, with no moon. You couldn't see 10ft in front of your face. You guys saw the damage, it looks like the boat skimmed right over the bow. That boat was probobly no more than 1ft off the water line. Has anybody ever seen a 17ft whaler like that at night???? I sure haven't but I know there out there. That formula I mentioned earlier hit a 22ft sea ray and he still never saw it even after it was hit - he wasn't even going fast and he stopped. That boat sits a good 4-5ft off the water. Those boat lights blend into the backgroung, especially on a dark night. If he hit something and turned around he wouldn't know if it was a dock light or a house or a boat. One other important factor that will obscure his view is the gauge lights. Those bright gauges at night will temporarily blind him the same way a car light does when you get passed at night. It takes your eyes a little over 1 minute to fully recover.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The sad part of it Dave, is that if the boat was doing 25 mph, they'd still call for a speed limit. If a GF boat blows up refueling, they'd still cal for a speed limit. It only takes a few aholes to make a lasting impression on the masses, and they target you forever, just like on Lake Winni.

Too bad they don't do the same thing with the Captain Boneheads tubing in between anchored boats with their bowriders and beer. Justice is a hard thing to receive, and some people are determined to always miss their mark.

Quick Reply: Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.