Best rough water boat ever built?????

Notices

Best rough water boat ever built?????

Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 169 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Rarely a purpose built design is reached and then difficult to surpass. The Don Aronow 41' Apache is one of those rare designs. The absolute center of the bullseye. It does what it was intended to do exceedingly well and that is race in rough water . They are not fast by todays twin step standards in small water, but they are incredibly strong and in the right skillfull hands amazing to watch in the rough stuff.

Another such design..nothing to do with powerboats.....is the AK47. You would think that a 61 year old weapon could easily be bested by todays gun minds with all the modern technology available. So far it can't. Mikhail Kalashnikov hit the center of the bullseye with that design.
Rare design occurrences..........but they do happen.
well said...
Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
Rarely a purpose built design is reached and then difficult to surpass. The Don Aronow 41' Apache is one of those rare designs. The absolute center of the bullseye. It does what it was intended to do exceedingly well and that is race in rough water . They are not fast by todays twin step standards in small water, but they are incredibly strong and in the right skillfull hands amazing to watch in the rough stuff.

Another such design..nothing to do with powerboats.....is the AK47. You would think that a 61 year old weapon could easily be bested by todays gun minds with all the modern technology available. So far it can't. Mikhail Kalashnikov hit the center of the bullseye with that design.
Rare design occurrences..........but they do happen.
I agree with that. But this is a simple yes or no ? Is a 41 Apache with the same level of driver in the same water side by side going to be a smoother ride than a 50 Nortech.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
I agree with that. But this is a simple yes or no ? Is a 41 Apache with the same level of driver in the same water side by side going to be a smoother ride than a 50 Nortech.
I am not qualified to give you that answer. Maybe Steve Nykamp will chime in here.
Ed
Old 08-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Registered

Now I am not talking race boat's,you would be a tard if you were going to race my boat in anything but a drag race in a poker run. I think this thread was started more for your everyday boat, or just starting off winter early. But full cabin 5-6 pas. boats.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Now I am not talking race boat's,you would be a tard if you were going to race my boat in anything but a drag race in a poker run. I think this thread was started more for your everyday boat, or just starting off winter early. But full cabin 5-6 pas. boats.
I understand what you are saying..It's also like comparing a 51OL, 50 Hustler, and 50 Nortech..who has the best ride in ruff water, who has the softest reentry, who is faster with same power, etc...

I agree what T2X said, needs to broken down...unless you have driven all of these boats and in the same conditions...it's all hear say. Ive driven and been on the 3 above, somewhat different water, so I can only anwser to that..but can not compare it to the 41 or 47 Apache's.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Registered

I know, I just don't think you can hands down hand it to any one boat. I watch those vid's of the Apaches racing and it's just awesome, I don't think I would ever try to run those speeds for that length of time in water like that just because I don't need too, and I am not racing. I just feel that if I was say going to the Bahamas and somebody in a 41 Apache was running with me the people in my boat are going to have a better ride.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

I have been in a 50 NT in big seas and the 47 APACHE and my 41 ride way better. They are not as much fun to hang in at the docks when you get to port but they do ride way softer thru the rough water. The 8' beam with the 24 degree bottom is what I believe is difference.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nykamp
I have been in a 50 NT in big seas and the 47 APACHE and my 41 ride way better. They are not as much fun to hang in at the docks when you get to port but they do ride way softer thru the rough water. The 8' beam with the 24 degree bottom is what I believe is difference.
Steve!

Do NOT sell that boat!

Look at the videos, and you know I'm right.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys........we ALL had the Cigarette and Apache posters, and ad's cut out with scissors on our walls. They were what shaped most of our dream of having one someday.

As great as they are, they just aren't up to the task today. It doesn't make them any less cool or respected, but you can't honestly expect a 1988 41 Apache to have a prayer against the new competition. I absolutely love the classic deep vee's, especially redone. It's just ridiculous to assume that 75-85mph can get it done in todays racing environment.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But todays boats are really inland circuit racers that dont go out of sight of the coast ( on calm days) or
...are they offshore boats that are only used inshore racing?
What was Betty's famous quote
'The lighter, the faster the fewer?
She was talking offshore

Quick Reply: Best rough water boat ever built?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.