Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

cool video , also look's like some bobble head's rolling around
Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt5jjNXMILI

Video is Jim Lee in his 46 skater Freedom US1.
Tyson,
About 7 years ago I was considering purchasing a cat.
I had followed some of Jim's History in the 46.
Jim and I spoke on the phone in regards to the 46. He pretty much summed it up by stating " there is going to be faster cats out there However, when its rough you will be all by yourself"

We love running offshore up here...Island
hopping most of the time. Its just a great rough water ride.
Maybe someday Freedom and Knot Right could fly Wing to
Wing. Tell Skater brother Jim i was asking for him

Last edited by KNOT-RIGHT; 10-24-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spell
Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Skater Brother
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
Tyson,
About 7 years ago I was considering purchasing a cat.
I had followed some of Jim's History in the 46.
Jim and I spoke on the phone in regards to the 46. He pretty much summed it up by stating " there is going to be faster cats out there However, when its rough you will be all by yourself"

We love running offshore up here...Island
hopping most of the time. Its just a great rough water ride.
Maybe someday Freedom and Knot Right could fly Wing to
Wing. Tell Skater brother Jim i was asking for him
Come to Miami or Key West this year. We will be running around down there!! Glad you still have your 46!! Mines for sale if anybody wants it. Its in the best shape ever!! Totaly refurbished.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

All the people that talk about big waves on here saying there running in 6-8's and 10-12's and 300' to quater mile high waves, ect. When they show a video of it on here proves they were not in 8' waves just by the fact that they still have the camera. Any time we were in anything bigger then 5' the gopro cameras would decided to become scuba divers. What they dont realize is that your eye position in the seat of a 46 skater is about 5' above the water when your running and if you are in 6-8' you are looking up at waves that are right next to you. When there is another boat out there with you they will disappear for minuites at a time till you both end up on top of a wave at the same time. When we ran to the Bahamas in the make a wish poker run there were only 3 boats that made it more then 1 mile before turning around. Jim in the 46 skater, kenny in his 40 skater, and a 50 nortech v. Once we made it out 10 miles we were in big enough water that the other skater would be 1/4 mile sideways to us and we would loose site of him for 5 min then all the sudden we would be on top of a wave and he would be on top of a wave and see them for a few seconds then they would disappear again. In the end Jim in the 46 skater made it to the Bahamas first but the other two boats did make it. We all ended up going through 10-14' seas right outside bahamas. In those waves as you start going up the wave you are having to give it more gas then more gas then more gas just to make it up then you slow down over the top as you crash through the top and a 1-2' tall wall of water comes down the deck and soaks you. You know its getting rough when your camera bag floats by you in the cockpit. I will find the noaa report for the water between miami and bahamas that day and post it on here.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the people that talk about big waves on here saying there running in 6-8's and 10-12's and 300' to quater mile high waves, ect. When they show a video of it on here proves they were not in 8' waves just by the fact that they still have the camera. Any time we were in anything bigger then 5' the gopro cameras would decided to become scuba divers. What they dont realize is that your eye position in the seat of a 46 skater is about 5' above the water when your running and if you are in 6-8' you are looking up at waves that are right next to you. When there is another boat out there with you they will disappear for minuites at a time till you both end up on top of a wave at the same time. When we ran to the Bahamas in the make a wish poker run there were only 3 boats that made it more then 1 mile before turning around. Jim in the 46 skater, kenny in his 40 skater, and a 50 nortech v. Once we made it out 10 miles we were in big enough water that the other skater would be 1/4 mile sideways to us and we would loose site of him for 5 min then all the sudden we would be on top of a wave and he would be on top of a wave and see them for a few seconds then they would disappear again. In the end Jim in the 46 skater made it to the Bahamas first but the other two boats did make it. We all ended up going through 10-14' seas right outside bahamas. In those waves as you start going up the wave you are having to give it more gas then more gas then more gas just to make it up then you slow down over the top as you crash through the top and a 1-2' tall wall of water comes down the deck and soaks you. You know its getting rough when your camera bag floats by you in the cockpit. I will find the noaa report for the water between miami and bahamas that day and post it on here.
How big is this water? Serious question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ5CT...4&feature=plcp
Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is that chopper pic of Jim and 1 or 2 other boats heading out while all the other boats are turning around?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

This sounds like so much fun....great post.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Registered

I agree on the wave exaggeration.
How do you load VHS video on this site, (o crap my age) maybe some of my old friends that ran with us can verify the wave action we ran in real NOAA 5 - 7 's
Old 10-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240
How big is this water? Serious question.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ5CT...4&feature=plcp
if you notice how everything in the horizon disappears when the wave gets next the the boat and as it goes away from boat I would say they are a little bigger then the height of the camera. I would say the camera was around 5' above the water so the waves were probably 4'-6'
Old 10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Registered

if you notice how everything in the horizon disappears when the wave gets next the the boat and as it goes away from boat I would say they are a little bigger then the height of the camera. I would say the camera was around 5' above the water so the waves were probably 4'-6'
I took that video.... i was holding the camera about shoulder height. I always thought they were 6 footers. Sounds right.