Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best rough water boat ever built????? >

Best rough water boat ever built?????

Notices

Best rough water boat ever built?????

Old 08-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually had the privelege of going for a test ride in Warpath back in 85. I can't possibly think of a boat that could do better in rough water. I was in the NJ race that the now infamous video was taken. When we made the turn at Seaside the waves were huge and right in your face. One of our crew broke his back and we had to stop. Look at the video again and watch Panasonic going up and down the wave faces. He was doing maybe 40-45. Then watch warpath going through that same water at 85-90. It puts it in perspective.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
The Apache 47 makes the 41 look like a bathtub toy.
So now you're an expert on "bathtub toys" ?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhiguy377
So now you're an expert on "bathtub toys" ?
I heard he had a rubber duckie!

I'd love to see a 47 run on the water.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 169 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiefApache89
You know it Viper! We are just learning this ourselves. Anyone have any idea what it's like to own a 31' boat and then jump up to a 41' Apache and run it in rough water? We were lucky to do 2800 RPM in rough water with our Stinger.

We're forced to do at least 70+MPH in rough water so we're not getting the crap beat out of us or the boat. That's instense when you're not use to driving/riding in rough water. I can't wait until the day Rob can stick the throttles forward and keep them there (throttling of course when needed---there's a whole other thread you can start and discuss because not everyone can throttle well), and look forward when the two of us have more fun with our ride instead of the intentisy we are experiencing today, and rightfully so.

Rob has a lot to learn in how to drive the our 41 in rough water, and he's not going to do that in one season. It depends on the waves and then there's dealing with Lake Erie. Ask Bobby Saccenti what he thinks of driving on Lake Erie. It ain't pretty! I can't wait to see what he does next season after having a full season under his belt. What he's learned just this season is amazing.

How well a boat does in rough water will depend on the driver. Skramer can kick a$$ in rough water in his 35 Cafe. LEOPAJM gave us a ride in his 41 Saber a month ago in 6+ footers. Talk about intense, but exhiliarting. I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or cry at times. He's awesome at driving and that Saber is unbelieveable in rough water! It was a ride I will never forget!

Again, both guys know how to drive a boat in rough water. If you don't it takes balls to get out in the rough stuff, put the throttles forward when your legs feel like jell-o and your hearts racing a million miles an hour. In the end and once you learn how to drive, it will be worth all the shaky legs and heart racing.

i think you made the best point!!! DRIVER! its the most important variable to this thread...

ive had a blast this year running my apache.. only thing i can compare in rough water is my 32' fountain and let me tell you the difference is night and day! but i think that goes without saying...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Viperfitness1
i think you made the best point!!! DRIVER! its the most important variable to this thread...

ive had a blast this year running my apache.. only thing i can compare in rough water is my 32' fountain and let me tell you the difference is night and day! but i think that goes without saying...
Let me ask you this, just for my own info.

What is the biggest water you personally have had your Apache in since owning it? Just curious.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
I'm not sure I agree......

I believe the 40 foot Skater will give the 41 Apache a run (I've seen one eat up a 47 Apache in a very rough race...but the 41 is a better boat). The famous footage off Point Pleasant was shot on a day when the 50 foot Popeye's Aluminum Cougar cat could not run in the conditions.

Certain boats simply excel in the rough for their size, the 41 Apache, the 40 foot Skater, the 30 foot Shadow, the Cougar Vees, and Buzzi's behemoths.
Always appreciate your thoughts...even when I don't agree with you 100%...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:31 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

everyone else... you guys are trying to compare way to many things here with way to many variables without experience...

most of these boats people are naming are all great boats in rough water....

my point is unless you have the balls to buy one and run it in rough water then you just dont know what you are talking about...

with that being said i don't know any of you and don't know your experience .
Let me put this out to you......since I don't know you either.

Unless you know whose posts you are reading, you might not want to assume that they don't know more than you do.

T2x
Old 08-12-2008, 03:34 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

I think the 50' Mystic would be a contender for sure. I know a 46' Skater handles the rough quite well and the Mystic will stroll right past a 46.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Registered

I THINK.... we should limit threads like this for people who own or have owned one of the boats they talk about. that way we dont have all these "computer powerboating cowboys" chiming in on something they have no idea about... can anyone guess which boat im rooting for?????

starts with and A.....
this would qualify me
Old 08-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 169 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Let me put this out to you......since I don't know you either.

Unless you know whose posts you are reading, you might not want to assume that they don't know more than you do.

T2x
listen up sparky!!! i wasn't referring to you.... if anything i would have agreed with you. it just seems these threads get so.... "my dad can beat your dad up" crap that its even worth reading. i was wanting to hear some story's from drivers that have driven the boats to compare them to.

stop being so insecure... im sure you have driven some big boats buddy... but if i wanted to insult you i would have singled you out out done it. i dont beat around the bush

Quick Reply: Best rough water boat ever built?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.