Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cats - My first time in the rough - what was that? >

Cats - My first time in the rough - what was that?

Notices

Cats - My first time in the rough - what was that?

Old 03-12-2002, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

T2X-
Since it is a Tri, it should carry weight at low speeds better, but wouldn't the CG discussion still apply?
Old 03-12-2002, 04:44 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

yup.......but it will trip more easily.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Then could a tunnel tab have the same "trip" effect?

This thread and other similar ones are so informative it's fantastic!

The more I read this thread, the happier I am with the Chris Cat!
Old 03-12-2002, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile center pods

I would agree T2X about the center pod,It would make a difference as far as carrying the weight better but the tunnels are also not as deep.This will restrict the size of waves the boat can deal with consistantly.I started OS running in the club race in Sarasota,we ran a 23 Eliminator with Second Effort 225's.Luckily the Gulf wasn't to rough but we still beat up a nice boat,the foot throttle and the passenger seat came loose.had to stop and tie the seat to the grab bar,still managed to finish 2nd behind a 25 Motion.It is for sure the Eliminator would be a handfull in 3-4 foot seas and there would be a good chance of getting wet.There were 25 Talons that ran C-Class though and they did OK with center pods but they were always behind us.

Lonnie
Old 03-12-2002, 08:29 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Dueclaws:.......Yup....gotta really know your stuff before you mess with a tunnel tab.

T2x
Old 03-12-2002, 08:47 PM
Registered

I have to post ...just to let you know I read it.....been there and done it...it will come to you as to what to do. No matter what anyone says...some one else comes back with different statements...so join the club of CATS
Old 03-12-2002, 09:09 PM
RON

Unc, Been there and done the same thing in my 25, also been out with MEYER in his 26 in 4 footers ,out in Lake Ontario, and he don't let off!!

Be safe, and wear your PFD, no matter WHAT!!

Good Luck,
RON...

Old 03-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Uncle Toys

Hi guys, just back in the office after vacationing at the lake last week. Checked your posts from an internet cafe in Havasu City, but at a couple of bucks per 15 minutes, just read and ran.

Didn't get an opportunity to test fly much. The shuttle boat was inoperative until my last day and the wind only kicked up the lake once while I was on it. The time it was choppy we were headed back to the Bridge from Topock and only ran a couple of mile in the rougher water (not as developed as the day that started this thread, plus we were headed downwind vs. into the wind the last time). Had my daughter and her two friends with me and didn't want to experiment. Ran through Power Alley with slightly-negative trim and 50 pounds of bird shot in the very front. Kept the speed in the mid 70's, and as Advantage_Rob said, it ran really flat and skipped the tops. Certainly wouldn't call it smooth, but it certainly was flat!

When I slowed to enter the bridge channel, the girls were roaring with delight - they loved the ride. Personally, I was drenched in sweet, my right hand was numb from clinching the throttles in anticipation, and my heart was pounding. But I was smiling! Guess I got what I bought the boat for - mental sanctuary. During those two minutes+, I certainly wasn't thinking about the office or preparing my taxes or anything else!

p.s. Put the old 25" three bladed Mirages back on and ran the same 84mph top speed - with the props still turning out. In other words, I didn't loose any speed turning out vs. turning in with the three bladed props - even though I had lost 4mph with the four bladed props (81 down to 77). Also, with the props turning out I wasn't on the rev-limiter, which I was all over with the props turning in. Strange?

Old 03-18-2002, 11:17 AM
Registered

UT

On vacation & had to stop & read posts? When I am on vacation last thing I want to look at is cell phone & computer. Unless I am trying to get something fixed after breaking.

Glad to hear you had good time.

Hope to be back on water this weekend.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:27 AM
Registered

Well, sounds like progress in the right direction. I.E. you are learning at your own pace, and doing it safely.

Quick Reply: Cats - My first time in the rough - what was that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.