Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cats - My first time in the rough - what was that? >

Cats - My first time in the rough - what was that?

Notices

Cats - My first time in the rough - what was that?

Old 06-24-2003, 06:17 PM
Uncle Toys

Default A brief follow up.

Since this thread I have tried all the recommendations in every possible way. Of the three top recommendations, trim, CG, speed, there has been a clear winner - trim!

This past weekend I finally saw the exact same water conditions. With the trim at the neutral position the boat flew flat every time, small air or big (big for Havasu). As far as speed, anywhere between 60mph and 80mph was about the same - although, above 70 it was (and has been) noticeably smoother. Note, I had figured this out long ago, but this was the first time I had seen the exact same water/wave pattern/wind which made me think about updating this thread.

The surprising thing for me has been the weight & balance (CG) issue. I have tried it every way I could think: I bought bird shot ballast and moved it to different positions. I moved where I keep the anchor in the front, then in the back. I noticed the effect of full fuel, half fuel, almost no fuel. Watched closely the number of people on board and their position, even with the fat lady in the back It really has not made much of a difference! If I have it trimmed close to neutral - it flies flat

It's difficult to say the following with enough emphasis and not sound stupid - never the less, thanks again for all the help!

Old 06-24-2003, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad things are better and the advice I gave about trim made such a big difference. I still believe that the CG issue is important to you and the reason that you really have not seen a big difference is because the water just has not been big enough for there to be a long enough hang time .Otto