Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fair price on a 32' Active Thunder Hull & Deck?????? >

Fair price on a 32' Active Thunder Hull & Deck??????

Notices

Fair price on a 32' Active Thunder Hull & Deck??????

Old 03-09-2002, 05:04 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah Mark...thats just what you need...another project
Sounds like you found an old AT hull layin around goin to waste...I'd offer 15k and go from there..doubt if I'd go over 20..depends on the condition of whats there...take a good hard look..if your thinking of resale, think about what its worth finished. and like someone said..work backwards.
It was about 80 here today
Dan
Old 03-09-2002, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kaama,

I'm suprised the guys at AT haven't been on here to ask you what colors you wanted.

Seriously, everyone is always talking that Active Thunder is a Custom builder. They will make the boat however you want. If you dont want it rigged, there shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure with ThunderDan and Jassman bugging them daily with changes to their boats, it would be nice to pop something together for you that involed less decisions
Where you have the boat rigged and who does the rigging shouldn't be a problem. These big name places that were mentioned before had to start somewhere and they used to be nobodys too. From the looks of your AT last summer, you wont have any problem finishing up a boat. You might not get the same warrenty as the guys that had there boats completely done at AT but other than that it should be a go.
As fas as price is concered, I have no idea!! Start with subtracting the going rate for the items that you dont want them to put in your boat. Add some labor at the going rate and shoot them a number. Who knows, they may make you a very happy man!!

Good luck in your search!
Todd
Old 03-09-2002, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Listen you guys, I appreciate all your input. I didn't really want to say this on the board, but to be quite honest with you the transom in my 1990 32'AT is wet and the stringers were just starting to get wet. The engines were out for upgrading and my cousin and I removed the drives, K-planes, steering, etc, etc and all the hardware inside and out of my boat and we cut out most of the damage to save some cost. This was certainly not anticipated, but it can obviously be repaired. I planned on having the glass work and all repairs done professionaly. And in ALL fairness I do want to say that this boat was NOT built by Pat and his current Active Thunder company. This boat was built in Chicago in 1990 BEFORE he bought it out. I just thought I would ask Pat/Steve at AT how much for a new 32' hull/deck without grahics but with interior...pretty much as I have described in the begining of this thread. I had an idea in my head of how much the cost might be...they priced it at 2/3's MORE than what I had anticipated. I guess if they feel like that is definately what they have to have then that's their price....Pat owns the company and he calls the shots. Hey I love boating and my AT and I know that if you wanna play you gotta pay. Let's face it, boats aren't exactly the best investment one of the worst as matter of fact and when something breaks you either sell it the way it is and lose or pull your checkbook out lay down the SMACK! Either way you LOSE! When they run they're great and everybody is your friend...but when they break no one is around but they want you to let them know when you get it running again. The offshore boats are sold with a lot of hype and emossion...a person sees some of the colors/graphics these boats have, the looks and sounds of Hi-Zoot engines, the periodic smell of fuel and fiberglass and the power you have at your finger tips when they're on those throttles gets you all excited...where speed is emensley satisfying and extremely addictive.....and...and...and at this point I think I'll lick my wounds, stick with the boat I have, fix it and buy the house that I am currently looking at. Mark (KAAMA)

Last edited by KAAMA; 03-09-2002 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:50 AM
Registered

After I finish wiping up my big crocodile tears with extra-large Kleenex I'll come up with a crushing reply to your "there's nobody around when it's broke" comment. Just kidding, Mark. You know you can count on Team Chaos. Like they used to say in the old west, just fire 3 shots and we'll come a'runnin'.
Old 03-10-2002, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KAAMA, If you already have the boat dismantled I could do the wood and glass repair at a very reasonable price !! I'm only a couple of hours away, And i'm just getting ready to open the doors on a new shop! Pulling a 37' outerlimits in this wed. for some bulkhead repair !
Old 03-10-2002, 04:26 PM
Registered

Crazy, yeah pass the crying towel ...I think I need it. Hey, do they have an annual award for whose the biggest cry baby? If I don't win this year perhaps I'd be at least a good runner-up.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:59 PM
Registered

Kaama, sorry to hear about your hull/stringer problems. That sucks. Have you thought about buying a used 32 AT and re-rigging it with the equipment you have from your existing machine and then selling any extras (like engines, steering gauges, etc.) to defray the costs? I know that Doller Offshore (www.dolleroffshore.com) is brokering a used '96 I believe that is priced pretty reasonably and has been listed for some time. Perhaps you can get a good price on that hull and deck and sell the parts out of that boat.

Or, did you talk to Pat and Steve about either doing the repairs/re-rigging for you and/or sending them all the parts and the deck and having them affix the exising deck to a new hull and re-rigging the boat with your existing equipment? Perhaps those are two options that you might want to explore if you haven't already. Just be sure to post some pictures when you are done with your project. Sounds like it will be a machine worth drooling over.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2002, 07:32 PM
Registered

Miller, I asked Steve at AT for a price on just a hull and perhaps have them re-attach the deck on my 1990 to the new hull and he basically said it would be more trouble than it's worth. And that's when I asked him for a price on a hull/deck. Believe me, I was TOTALLY UNPREPARED for their answer...caught me off guard by a long shot! A friend said he called Active Thunder about 1.5 years ago and asked for a hull/deck and from what he told me, the price they gave him then compared to what they told me now (1.5 years later) the price has gone up by about 25-30% or so. The marine industry is marked up high enough the way it is....and I certainly did NOT need to hear that! Even the price my friend was given was suprising...and he said AT was reluctent to just sell a hull/deck in the first place. He ended up not purchasing the boat because he felt it was way overly priced. Money certainly doesn't grow on trees for me. I guess it depends on your priorities and standard of living.......plus it sounds as if business is going very well at AT. But for the price that Active Thunder wants for a 32'AT Hull/deck I think I can find a reasonable piece of realestate for that amount. I do appreciate your input Miller.

Thanks, Mark (KAAMA)

I don't know you guys.....maybe I'm blind and way behind the times here-----I honestly just don't seem to understand it all I guess.

Last edited by KAAMA; 03-10-2002 at 07:45 PM.