Water Drain System in a 496 >

Water Drain System in a 496

Notices

Water Drain System in a 496

Old 10-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Drain System in a 496

I have a 2002 Velocity with a 496 HO that came equiped with a water drain system - minus the hand pump. Living in Michigan, I have always used antifreeze in the closed cooling system. Was curious if anyone else might have one on there boat and if you use it espicailly in the colder areas where the temps tend to drop below zero?
Old 10-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 550 Posts

Do a search. This has been discussed before.

Using the air/water drain system will get you through a quick cold snap late in the season, but it is NOT for full winterization.

You need to do a full winterization with antifreeze and the whole kaboodle for long term winter storage.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Do a search. This has been discussed before.

Using the air/water drain system will get you through a quick cold snap late in the season, but it is NOT for full winterization.

You need to do a full winterization with antifreeze and the whole kaboodle for long term winter storage.
Thanks Sydwayz, I did a search went thru about 10 pages of threads and nothing specific jumped out. I've heard both ways just drain it and your fine, but I find that hard to believe. I've done the anti-freeze since I owned it and most likely will continue to do so, unless someone can convince me otherwise. It hard to teaqch an old dog new tricks so they'll have their work cut out for them.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Registered

I just use the hand pump and unsrew the blue wing nuts on the sea pump to get me through until the marina does an actual winterization. I would like to do it myself in the future and have 5 gals of pink stuff run through the supply hose to the sea pump. Run it through while hot and it should be good. I dont think they do anything to the motor side as long as the antifreeze tests good.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have aftermarket headers, don't forget to drain all the associated hoses on that system. The Mercury system doesn't
drain those hoses, etc...
Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by twanger
I just use the hand pump and unsrew the blue wing nuts on the sea pump to get me through until the marina does an actual winterization. I would like to do it myself in the future and have 5 gals of pink stuff run through the supply hose to the sea pump. Run it through while hot and it should be good. I dont think they do anything to the motor side as long as the antifreeze tests good.
Don't forget the blue plug on the cool fuel system too. I think that is at the lowest point on the motor.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

The first 2 seasons I simply pumped the water out and pulled the blue plugs on the water pump and fuel cooler. Never had a problem (I live in Bloomington, IL. and it gets pretty cold here). Last year I ran antifreeze through the system. The biggest concern with just using the pump is if you don't get all the water out of the heat exchanger, you can damage it. My boat is proof you can get away without adding antifreeze but why risk it?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
The first 2 seasons I simply pumped the water out and pulled the blue plugs on the water pump and fuel cooler. Never had a problem (I live in Bloomington, IL. and it gets pretty cold here). Last year I ran antifreeze through the system. The biggest concern with just using the pump is if you don't get all the water out of the heat exchanger, you can damage it. My boat is proof you can get away without adding antifreeze but why risk it?
Those last four little words seem to appear more often than not. Anti-freeze is cheaper than parts by far.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

antifreeze helps me sleep at night.