Thinking about a small outboard catamaran >

Thinking about a small outboard catamaran

Notices

Thinking about a small outboard catamaran

Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a small outboard catamaran

I just sold my supercharged 22 Donzi classic which was an 86mph boat, but the engine blew up, I got stationed to Hawaii, and it was just sitting. So now I have 18 months before I'm back to the the washington D.C. area and I'm saving up for my next boat.

I want something small that can be towed behind my '08 V8 4runner (7300# capacity) and run on the Potomac river and Lake Anna. Lots of rough chop in both places.

I want outboard power for the simplicity, no winterization required so I can boat all year, and I was just plain tired of crawling into the Donzi engine compartment.

I was looking into 20-22' Grady Whites since they handle rough water very well, have a small cuddy cabin, and are very practical- like an SUV for the water. They cruise at 30mph, but only burn 7gph. I don't fish though, so it seems a little overkill for day pleasure boatiing

Now I'm thinking about a small (22-24') catamaran with 1 or 2 outboards on it. I don't know much about cats other than they look great, they're fast, and almost impossible to get insurance for. Will a small cat handle chop as well or better than my 22 Classic did? I mostly want something that's a blast to drive and more stable past 70mph than my rounded keel donzi was.

I'd be looking used for $20-30k price range.

Recommendations?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:20 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

I would be all over this if I had the scratch to pay for it.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o30419-en.html

Probably going to find some small eliminators too in that price range.

The small cat should out perform your donzi in all arenas.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:26 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

my choice.
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=197786
Old 09-26-2009, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Zimm,
I know the Cougar in Kentucky, is truly like new. It has always been pampered and cared for. It runs over chop very well. Great handling. Go get it, it's a deal. Eric
Old 09-26-2009, 05:51 AM
Registered

Thanks for the ads guys, but like I said in my original post, I'm still 18 months from even moving back to the states. I can't buy a cat in Hawaii and ship it...

I'm just researching right now and would like to hear from people in-the-know and to see if a small cat is what I should be looking at, and if so, what makes/models.

From the little research I just started doing, it looks like insurance is the big hold up on these boats. Cats are like the 1000cc sport bikes of the water- bike insurance over 4 years costs more than the bike itself.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:22 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
Zimm,
I know the Cougar in Kentucky, is truly like new. It has always been pampered and cared for. It runs over chop very well. Great handling. Go get it, it's a deal. Eric
me want bad....would look great parked next to my dancer.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Registered

i have a 2000 eliminator daytona 25 w/ twin 225 promax's that i will take $29k for...runs 90-95 mph
Old 09-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zimm17
I just sold my supercharged 22 Donzi classic which was an 86mph boat, but the engine blew up, I got stationed to Hawaii, and it was just sitting. So now I have 18 months before I'm back to the the washington D.C. area and I'm saving up for my next boat.

I want something small that can be towed behind my '08 V8 4runner (7300# capacity) and run on the Potomac river and Lake Anna. Lots of rough chop in both places.

I want outboard power for the simplicity, no winterization required so I can boat all year, and I was just plain tired of crawling into the Donzi engine compartment.

I was looking into 20-22' Grady Whites since they handle rough water very well, have a small cuddy cabin, and are very practical- like an SUV for the water. They cruise at 30mph, but only burn 7gph. I don't fish though, so it seems a little overkill for day pleasure boatiing

Now I'm thinking about a small (22-24') catamaran with 1 or 2 outboards on it. I don't know much about cats other than they look great, they're fast, and almost impossible to get insurance for. Will a small cat handle chop as well or better than my 22 Classic did? I mostly want something that's a blast to drive and more stable past 70mph than my rounded keel donzi was.

I'd be looking used for $20-30k price range.

Recommendations?
I owned a 22' Talon with twin 2.5's. Great boat and handled chop very well. My brother had a single engine Talon 22', and it handled the bigger water not being as tail heavy, but wasn't nearly as fast. I'm confident this hull (and similar cats) will handle the chop every bit as well as your 22 Classic, and probably be a smoother ride.

For the length cat you are considering, I recommend looking for hulls having a center pod, not a true tunnel. The center pod gives you handling characteristics similar to a V, but all the benefits of a cat. True tunnels tend to be faster, but can have turning and porposing quirks at cruising speeds.

Definitely spend some time on screamandfly.com. Lot of info and boats for sale over there. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Didnt Vicious build one?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@MD, Sparky has a 17 Cat Mold that he is going to stretch and widen to make into a 21'-22'-23'? He is in La. now and is keeping the shop in SC. from what I read on Scream and Fly .......... He also builds a nice 31 Cat

Zimm17, I have an Ocean Express 25 Cat with twin 250's and I love it. I've had it since 2002 and it can handle just about anything got mine for 20k back then ................

Thank you for serving for our Nation in the U.S. Military Sir (salute)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.