Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the real way to judge wave height ? >

What is the real way to judge wave height ?

Notices

What is the real way to judge wave height ?

Old 04-10-2002, 11:27 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No matter how you measure it top to bottom back front vertical it all does not matter as everyone seemes to have a different idea of what a foot is. I have been out and had guys say it is 6-9 foot and all I can think is if I am standing int he bottom of a wave it may come up to my chest. I am only 6 feet tall so how is that possible???? I think that people like to say they were out in 6-9 to make it seem like they are more of a man
Old 04-10-2002, 12:45 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AudioFn, those would be former Bass fisherman......"and it was thiiiis big, I swear"!

As Troutly's piece highlighted, wavelength (I always called it "span" as in bridge) is where you need hull length. It's also the main difference between ocean/great Lakes 3-4 footers and say Texacoma 3 footers...

Jayl13, I LMAO! That would be called judging by the seat of your pants....

Last edited by Reckless32; 04-10-2002 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:04 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Wave height is the distance from sea level to the top of the wave....OR.....ONE HALF the distance from Top to Trough. That's why 10 foot seas to wide eyed pleasure boaters are really five foot seas to Sailors......and why "2 to 4's" is a real challenge.

T2x
Old 04-10-2002, 08:22 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Well ... I ain't no stinkin' sailor, so I must be one of those wide eyed pleasure boaters ....

I'll agree with T2x about measuring a wave, but, I would think that when talking of the size of the seas it would be from top to bottom ..... So what I'm saying is 6' seas have 3' waves. Heh heh heh ...
Old 04-10-2002, 09:12 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Garry you forgot about the jack up on the shore. Remember that little place called the Wedge down there were you guys boat
Old 04-11-2002, 01:15 AM
Registered

T2X-

We're not talking about the height of the wave's top from sea level (the water's average mean) but the height of the "wave". A wave is a ripple in the water. To measure it, you measure the top to the bottom. Why the heck would you measure any differently?

A possible example (and a crappy one):

A building has 8 floors, two of them below ground. So is this really a 6 "floor" building? No, it has only 6 "stories", but 8 "floors".
Old 04-11-2002, 09:43 AM
Registered

How do you get the wave to hold still long enough to hold the tape measure on it?
Old 04-11-2002, 10:25 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

A building that has three stories above ground and three below is considered a three story building....... Just as the WTC which with 114 floors above ground...as I recall...and 8 below.....was not considered a 122 story building....... nor is an iceberg 100 ' high and 1000 ft below water considered to be an 1100 ' foot high iceberg.

You measure them by going to the bar and waiting for some one to get drunk enough to claim that he ran 120mph in 12 foot seas and divide by the reality factor which comes out to 61 mph in 4 1/2 foot seas....until the distributer came off......or the deck, if it's not a Skater.

T2x
Old 04-11-2002, 01:28 PM
Registered

Here's how Ive heard it.
A surf wave is not measured by its face height, it is measured from the back. If you have a 9' wave face, in reality its more like a 5. I would think the same applies for an ocean wave. In my experieince the wave face is usually steeper and taller than its back. Because of this Im more inclined to think it would have to be a formula rather than crest to trough.
I like the more creative lame to ooohhhh **** scale.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:52 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

here's another visual................

Attached Thumbnails What is the real way to judge wave height ?-wave_1_.jpg  

Quick Reply: What is the real way to judge wave height ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.