Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What was your earliest perf boating memory? >

What was your earliest perf boating memory?

Notices

What was your earliest perf boating memory?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in 1980 i took a ride on a 20ft jet boat.not sure of the boat mfg,but will always rember the motor,a 413 max wedge w/a tunnelram and dual quad set up,and of course,chrome ,over the transome headers.what a ride.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine was running around a 35 sonic with a good friend of mine. I thought it was the coolest this ever.

But the one i remember as the best was my first boat race at Cambridge races in 2004 racing the formula.
Attached Thumbnails What was your earliest perf boating memory?-first-boat-race.jpg  
Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Wow .How did you manage that connection?
My father built a Magnum that was delivered in 1976... last mag delivered by Don before Ted took over.
Try to find me in the picture... (hint... i was a jets fan)

Also... back in mid 70s there was a 28cig at my club... the Nah Nee. Then this guy upgraded to a 35cig...all black w/ red "SAMARAI"
There was also a light blue 28... can't remember name.
Attached Thumbnails What was your earliest perf boating memory?-38-magnum2.jpg  

Last edited by Stormrider; 01-26-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 AM
WMF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

The first time I watched Miami Vice with my father, I believe I was around 9 or 10 years old. I saw the 38 Scarab KV and was hooked on performance boats!!
Attached Images      
Old 01-26-2010, 09:18 AM
WMF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

I also have a ton of memories from my childhood at my parents beach house. There were around a dozen performance boat's in the area, they would run up and down the coast every weekend, and dock at the Indian River inlet Marine. I have a ton of really old pics I will scan and put up today. Here is one of the baddest boat ever built that was kept here, Smokin Joe.
Attached Thumbnails What was your earliest perf boating memory?-poker%2520run%2520044%2520%2528small%2529.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 01-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Registered

As a kid, I used to ride my bicycle down to the public luanch ramp in Philly. There was a boat named 'Wild Cherry' there being put on it's trailer. The owner of 'Wild Cherry' gave it a little goose to the throttle to make sure it was on th trailer right and he proceeded to push the crew cab dually up the ramp while in park. Tire screeching about 3 feet up the ramp. I was done for life.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
1976... Hanging w/ Don and Brownie and eventually Theodoli at Magnum.
1977, Being in 2nd Grade wearing Magnum and Cigarette shirts and jackets.
1977, going for a ride in an 18 donzi holding the grabrail under the rear bench seat.
1977, ride on the 1st 53magnum... no cabin, no engine hatches.
1983... last time i saw don. He was bragging of his son...'belches just like me!'
Don't think I can top that! I learned about the boats in books and magazines. Never forget my first trip to Everglades and Fort Apache Marina in the mid 80's.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

5 years old ocean city nj cigarette called "wild cherry"
Old 01-26-2010, 03:11 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad
Don't think I can top that! I learned about the boats in books and magazines. Never forget my first trip to Everglades and Fort Apache Marina in the mid 80's.
Well, it seems my connections were all early on. I don't have a boat currently.

But here is another good one...
1985... Drove to see Reggie at his shop in NC. My dad was going to discuss building a Fishing boat w/ OBs. After a tour of the shop and sitting w/ Reg at his desk for a while, he insists that we sleep at his house and not in a hotel for the night. We ended up going waterskiing on his ski boat w/ a good friend of his who happen to be a ski champ from a few yrs back. And dig this, his ski boat was a Ski Nautique(or similar) w/ a beak glassed in, and painted like a executioner.

Later we went to dinner w/ Reggie and a few guys from the factory at a small seafood dive near the shop, food was great and the bill was insanely cheap.
Lastly... spent the night at Reg's house. He has the series of his famous hydroplane accident photos as you walk up the flight of stairs to the second floor.
I was 15.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SLINGSHOT
5 years old ocean city nj cigarette called "wild cherry"
We should find this 'Wild Cherry' guy. Seems he is responsible for more than one addiction. I don't know if I should kiss him or kill him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.