Notices

Calling Tom Newby

Old 04-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Memories are really all we have when it's all said & done.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 369 Likes on 196 Posts

I loved his photography, truly one of the great ones. His photography was technically excellent but he also had that something extra that made the picture come to life and jump off the page!

I never met him but always wish I had. it would have been so neat to talk boats and photography with him.

Matt, I am sorry for your loss,
Old 04-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 3,027 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
I loved his photography, truly one of the great ones. His photography was technically excellent but he also had that something extra that made the picture come to life and jump off the page!

I never met him but always wish I had. it would have been so neat to talk boats and photography with him.

Matt, I am sorry for your loss,
Tom loved to talk. He was very smart and very opinionated and very fun to hang out with. You'd have enjoyed him for sure.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only met Tom for a few moments but have a picture of me in my boat that he took at Desert Storm a few years back, it's one of the best shots I have of the boat. When I look at that picture I think of Tom. Cherish his Memory.

Caleb
Old 04-30-2010, 11:10 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

I always loved Tom's work and he has set the bar for me to best I can be in the photography industry.

He will forever be missed but never forgotten...

My Tribute Page for Tom since his loss..

http://sharkey-images.com/memorial/tom_newby.html

I still say I felt his presence in the NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run last year... The very same run I first met Tom and he shot my wife and I when she was out for her 1st Poker Run.

It was an amazing and emotional day last year before, during and after that run.

I prayed to him as I walked the tarmac prior to getting in the chopper.

It was a strange day . It almost seemed he wasn't going to let me miss a shot the entire time!

I was shooting for POWERBOAT MAGAZINE in which he covered the very same event just 4 years earlier .

I will never forget having Tom sideways in the chopper 20 feet off of our bow and I looked to my wife and said, "Damn that guy has got the greatest job !!!"

Who would have ever thought 4 years later, I'd be in a chopper, shooting AC for POWERBOAT ???

I appreciate Tom's pictures everyday. Especially the photos of my wife and I. She has not done a Poker RUN since but I have photos from the best in the business of my wife and I that I will hold onto forever....

Godspeed Tom !

Thanks Matt for your story.....

Strange how things happen sometimes... You just keep dialing and if you have to, just talk to him. He hears you...

I know he heard me last year on the Run !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 05-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 3,027 Likes on 1,372 Posts

The funny thing about Tom was he generally didn't like talking about photography. It bored him. It was the way he made his living and he was the best at what he did, but it didn't define him. Talk kids, surfing, skin diving, sailing, fishing, Tawny port, politics and Grey Goose martinis (up, extra cold, extra olives) and you couldn't shut him up. But photography? You were generally allowed a question or two before he changed the topic.

Tom inhaled life. If you traveled with him on assignment, there's was no way you were hanging in your hotel room other than to sleep. In Destin, Fla., we went kingfishing (and caught a bunch). In Malta, Tom, Vicki Newton and I drove to the ruins of Hagar Qim, which are older than the pyramids in Egypt. In Fort Wayne, Ind., we ... stayed out too late.

The point was, wherever you were with Tom it was required that you experienced whatever was there. That kept you from hiding in your hotel room and it kept work travel fresh, a big thing when you're gone 60 to 90 nights a year, which for a time was pretty average for Tom and me at Powerboat.

He was just so cool in many ways.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 3,402 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
The funny thing about Tom was he generally didn't like talking about photography. It bored him. It was the way he made his living and he was the best at what he did, but it didn't define him. Talk kids, surfing, skin diving, sailing, fishing, Tawny port, politics and Grey Goose martinis (up, extra cold, extra olives) and you couldn't shut him up. But photography? You were generally allowed a question or two before he changed the topic.

Tom inhaled life. If you traveled with him on assignment, there's was no way you were hanging in your hotel room other than to sleep. In Destin, Fla., we went kingfishing (and caught a bunch). In Malta, Tom, Vicki Newton and I drove to the ruins of Hagar Qim, which are older than the pyramids in Egypt. In Fort Wayne, Ind., we ... stayed out too late.

The point was, wherever you were with Tom it was required that you experienced whatever was there. That kept you from hiding in your hotel room and it kept work travel fresh, a big thing when you're gone 60 to 90 nights a year, which for a time was pretty average for Tom and me at Powerboat.

He was just so cool in many ways.

Great post Matt (and blog).

When people die, those left behind always (and rightfully so) focus on the positive and remember all the good. I imagine with some people this can be a stretch to remember the good in people. For others remembering the good is easier due to the fact there was more good than bad in their life. Then for those few, it’s hard to think of any negative because the good in their life was so over powering.

Tom was definitely the third example of this. No one is perfect and everyone has their faults but Tom was such a good dude there’s just no negative. I guess I’m just a bit of a realist due to my line of work and seeing death as much as I have, I’m unfortunately a little numb to it. But when it is such a tragedy to lose someone like Tom it angers me, mostly for selfish reasons. Why did he have to go and others that don’t deserve to be here get to stay?

The hole he left and the ripples of the wake of his death have affected so many people that things will never be the same for his family and his family at Powerboat Magazine. He is missed.