Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Speaking of parrot's, who know's about owning one. >

Speaking of parrot's, who know's about owning one.

Notices

Speaking of parrot's, who know's about owning one.

Old 04-26-2002, 09:55 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Get ahold of boatnut,,,,, he has 5 birds,,,, Blue/gold macaw (parrot) , cockatoo,,,, cockatiel,,, red bellied parrot, and a conure we gave his last year.....he is your best bet !!
Old 04-26-2002, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh, the full story, I just had a in depth conversation with the guy I work with while paying attention more closely this time, and brought up the concerns you have all raised, and thanks for helping me out. I just got the cliffnote version last time. The bird is his fathers, and he's having respitory problems, and he breeds finches as a hobby, he has like 50 in his basement, and has this grey is his upstairs pet. His doctor is recommending getting rid of the birds, because thet is a major part of what is giving him these problems. (No sh*T 50 birds..., he might be a redneck?) It's about 5 yrs old, is tame with the owner. The son (I work with) has kids and the bird hates the kids when they are over thier grandpa's house, so That's where The "mean to the kids" part comes in. The son doesn't want it, and asked me if I wanted it, while I was working out a problem with him and a few other guys, so I wasn't too focused on paying attention to him 100%, hence missing the father part, but now I remember him mentioning it. I talked to him about your opinions, and my concerns about owning it. I usually am home in the evenings, to tend to the bird, and I think I'm going to get it if he does decide to get rid of it. Sounds like a trip to the vet will be the first thing before it even comes into my house. Coming from a house of 50 birds, I want to make sure this thing is healthy and sanitary.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:05 PM
Registered

My Blue and Gold loves me like I'm his mother. Goes to
bed at dark and doesn't make
a sound in the morning until
he hears my voice. Great pet.
Takes no chit from the cat.
Only downside-- very loud at
times. If you live in an
apartment better get a goldfish.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:20 PM
Registered

Default HEre is a pic of my grey,,,, bleep

BLEEP !!
Attached Thumbnails Speaking of parrot's, who know's about owning one.-bleep_door.jpg  
Old 04-26-2002, 02:22 PM
Registered

Default and here is the caique,,

MEL !!
Attached Thumbnails Speaking of parrot's, who know's about owning one.-mel_door.jpg  
Old 04-26-2002, 02:47 PM
Registered

no noise worries here, just lots of loud boats at all hours, and speakers on the deck till dawn, people screaming as they jump in the lake, and run back in the house, you know the routine...

I lucked out with the neighbors, they are the kind that will get woke up from the noise, get dressed and come over and join us for shot's. I often wonder if they just want us to finally pass out or something??

Dont get me wrong, they throw some wild one's too, I can almost remember a couple of thier parties.

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 04-26-2002 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:18 PM
Registered

Default Rob you got nothing to lose.....

but. Usually the best bet is to get a baby and raise it to YOUR lifestyle. I had 2 Greys. First one was pretty wild and one day after I had him over 2 yrs. I came in from snow skiing. He plucked every feather he could get at. That's right from the neck down. I took him to the vet. To make this story short I spent a bunch of money on test. Never did get him to stop plucking his feathers.
The second grey I bought as a baby and he was my bud for over 14 years. I perfect pet.
Good Luck, Mike
Old 04-26-2002, 09:11 PM
Registered

I have an african grey (timneh). He is a great pet and has not drawn blood in 12 years, won't poop on me, I can lay him on his back and we take him outside alot (clipped). I can let anyone hold him. HOWEVER, I donated a lot of blood and much time and patience in his first 2 years training him. They are very intelligent and you must stay one step ahead of them psychologically (hard for me, my brain is the size of a walnut). Mine was a wild caught juvenile when I got him, a hand raised baby is much easier to train (and more expensive). I would NOT be eager to try to deal with a mature bird who already has issues. I would also reccommend you stay away from any conure. They are beautiful, and can be very friendly (mine was), but they make noise 24/7 that can make it impossible to live in the same house. All parrots make noise at sunup and sundown, conures NEVER shut up!