Notices

Boat pricing

Old 05-15-2010, 02:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat pricing

Just got done looking at boats for a long time. Now I realize everybody isnt going to cost the same. But just found it rediculous for what some people want. Like I just saw a 94 checkmate 25' single screw where they wanted almost 40k, are you serious. I mean a crazy engine you had installed maybe made the boat worth more. Just because you did some upgrade like gauges or some wicked paint job doesnt add tons of value. Im not a huge fan of NADA with my experience Nads is usually 10-25% off in either direction in price, but how does a 12k checkmate turn into a 40k checkmate. Maybe thats why these performance boats dont move off the market like others
Old 05-15-2010, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

im shure you have heard whisky taste with beer money
Old 05-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Banned

Fact of the matter, some people are idiots, some people "Owe that much" and cannot sell it for less because they don't have the money to make up the difference, some people own them out right and that is what they are willing to part with it for and any less they will just keep it.

Keep looking you should be able to find what you want for 15-25K maybe consider Baja also.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Banned

Already got a boat, just commenting on how crazy people are when they put asking price. Im all about paying for something thats worth it. Just a comment,
Old 05-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Check out this Checkmate. I know people that have seen it and say it's like new!

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/1736186768.html
Old 05-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Banned

see that looks nice and is two years newer than the 94 i saw on powerboat listing, and its half the price
Old 05-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 957 Likes on 513 Posts

Unfortunately for some the payment books haven't dropped as fast as the boat did. Nothing priced high is selling so your 40K Checkmate will still be for sale next year too. I recently noticed a 42 foot boat that is 60K overpriced actually had the price raised $3,000! Why, not sure but I would guess the owner added a recent repair to the payoff amount and came up with the new asking price.

A good friend just sold his 2007 Top Gun after having it for sale about 8 months. Boat was a 10+ in condition, 330 hours and was the lowest priced 07 out there. He owned it free and clear and listed it with a broker. Unfortunately the low price brought out guys that thought they were going to knock 25% off the asking price. His original asking price was 189K, boat sold for 175K. Guys showed up with dreams of putting 10% down and bank financing for the balance (not happening for anyone in 2010) or better yet working a deal then look to trade a 10 year old boat or used car in as part of the deal. My buddy was real fair, told the broker he would easily take a trade for whatever the boat/car was worth. One guy wanted to trade a Z06 Corvette, Carmax said it was worth 40K so my buddy told the guy he would take it for 40K off the boat price. Guy wanted 55K for the car (way over what the car was worth).

End of story was a buyer from out of state signed the contract before even getting here. Showed up, did a mechanical inspection, drove the boat and wired the funds all within a couple hour period. Boat left on a trailer a few days later.
The guy with the Corvette was mental that someone stole the boat out from under him, despite no signed contract and his high offer of 140K (the 55K Corvette and 85K cash).....

Now go look in the classifieds at all the 02-05 Top Guns for 179K-269K and think if ANY of those boats have a shot at being sold for that. I suspect IB will be collecting ad revenue for years to come from those guys.........
Old 05-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Registered

I sold my boat for 28K, there are people asking $45k-$60K for the same boat, (some with a better motor) maybe I sold a little low but I dont understand how someone can list at those prices and expect to sell. I also ask myself if I would buy at that price, and if the answer is NO then nobody else would either. I also think some of the ads on PB listings are very old, i dont think they expire so unless you call them it is there for yrs, mine is probaly still on there.