Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore? >

Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore?

Notices

Is the turbine class dead this year in Offshore?

Old 05-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Todesca
Turbine class is not dead it just getting started. There are other teams other then the ones mention in this thread. People love big very fast boats a fantasize about running them and always will. Put together a Turbine class team and see if Miss Geico, or JBS or any other turbine team will just let you take a checkered flag. I'm sure you will have to RACE them for it. Jo
Then why is JBS or AM not going to all the events and race Geico ?????

Come on,,its great to have the turbines,,,but who else is going to spend that green and wreck their stuff ???

New ones ,,,where ?????

Don't be fooled by your dreams !!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eaton Photos
I haven't made an A$$ out of myself. This is an opinion based thread, pure & simple, not anything else. Here are some real facts for all the people that follow racing. The Turbine class, cost' somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 to 2 Million, to run per season. The sheer cost' of the boat & turbines is 5X what it would cost to buy a boat & operate a 750/850 class boat for 3 years.

On another note, here is a legitimate question: What do you think the public rather see? 5-10 Piston Powered Supercats racing OR 1 or 2 Turbine powered boats running around in circles? Personally, I myself find it much more entertaining to watch a bigger class running that may not do 200 MPH, than to watch 1 & occasionally 2 boats race each other. How can a team call itself a National or World Champion when they don't race anybody for 50-75% of the season.

The purpose of a champion, is to have a class that has enough boats, to make the class competitive. This is purely my opinion, but it would seem that there are a lot more racers/ teams that can afford a piston powered boat, than those that can afford to spend the money on turbine power.

I am not against Turbines. I enjoy watching them run & spending time chatting with the teams. John, Scotty, Marc, Scott N, Mikey, Carlos, Bobby, & everyone else that makes AMF Racing/ Geico what it is, are a pleasure to be around. The only thing I am saying, is that they are essentially a very limited class, to which only the extremely wealthy can afford. What's the point of having a class that currently has 3 boats in it, which rarely race each other, & to which most of the racers cannot afford to be a part of? For a pleasure boat they are fine, and for speed records, they'll do great. Just because you can afford to spend the money, does not always mean you should spend the money.

Flame Suit on, ready for the the ensuing fire-storm.

I've never seen this video. That is Awesome. And I love the sound of the piston power. You hear it coming & going. Maybe my hearing is bad which I sincerely doubt, but I don't hear the sound of the turbines over the the piston blocks.
Hey Jimmy, I think the point of having a class with "just" three Big Beautiful Turbine Boats in it is, WE have other classes racing with them. I understand, a lot of money, time, labor , ect. but if this is what these three teams want, who are we to say anything about them. They all put on a great show, spread for everyone. I'm sure it takes a lot of ball$ to get in one of those boats in racing conditions and run the $hit outta them, I know it ain't for me so God Bless those crazy ba$tards running them. Ya wanna seem some real good offshore racing, watch our class 5 and 6 Boyz this Sunday...Not to take anything away from our other classes but there is some real heart and soul there plus all our other classes. Later, Augie
Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DareDevil
Never only seen 1 boat in EACH class..u must of been there when there was testing !!!!

And for the Turbine class, i think its cool and my hats off to Haggin for helping teams and such..but racing ..NO its a show boat ,,fast. but still a show boat as well as the other 2 ..sorry.
Like i said , i think its cool and it draws a croud,,,but it really does not help small teams at all...they will fall further back and then they can run their 3 turbines ! IMO
If they would of gone and spend that kind of money on sponsoring little teams they could of sponsored 10-20 teams for that kind of green..so 3 X lets say 15 is 45.. we would have 45 more boats at each event !!!!!!!
Wouldn't that be cool ??

Each class could have geico or something else on the side...but hey..it is what it is !!!!!!
Scotty, German Bit$h...Ya never know whom is lurking behind these computers, and you know this person pretty well.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:33 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by AugiePensa
Scotty, German Bit$h...Ya never know whom is lurking behind these computers, and you know this person pretty well.
I bet he drives a black Caddy too !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 05-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered

With only 3 boats in the class they should just be used for exibtion races to draw a crowd to watch the "real" classes race. As far as I know there are no other boats being built for the class. The other thing that bothers me is that noone in trying to explore other manufactures for this class they all run 50' Mystics with the exact same turbines from turbine marine. Yes I am aware there arent too many people building marinised turbines but Im thinking the the 50' outlimits cat would give the Mystic a run for its money or even a Nortech . But as far as the racing goes i dont think there has been any real racing since 2002-2003 with the 850 class. I dont think anyone should even consider calling themself a champion if they are the only ones in the class! Even if you did show up to the races! I would be able to live with myself if i was going around telling people I was a nation champ and they asked me how many boats i ran against and told them none or 1. Pretty embarassing.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
I bet he drives a black Caddy too !
????? now i am lost ..hehe
Old 05-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Registered

It seems to me there are some sour grapes rolling around.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDadys93x
I dont think anyone should even consider calling themself a champion if they are the only ones in the class! .
Awe come on.....

Everyone accepted it just fine when Fountain idled across the starting line in Key West then headed for the trailer without completing one lap. They wasted no time to claim their World Champion Status to sell more Fountains...

I find it strange how everyone praised Fountain for all he did with offshore even though it was the Reggie Show on TV.

Now you have a team like Miss Geico that sure knows how to put on a show for the fans, and supports offshore financially, and people want to take jabs at them.

The 1st race has not even been started yet. Why is the whining starting now ?

You may find yourself thanking them during those cold months of November & December when you're glued to a TV watching Offshore on a Cable network.

I give Haggin a lot of credit.

Personally I did not think he would have stuck it out this long.

If you need to be reminded on who brought the last LIVE COVERAGE from the World Championship to TV, just have a look at this and tell me this wasn't top shelf coverage.
All out John's pocket no less...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQBi8BVLYE8[/youtube]

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 05-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Banned

I CAN NOT DISAGREE !!!!!!!! every word is the truth !
Old 05-29-2010, 01:27 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DareDevil
Then why is JBS or AM not going to all the events and race Geico ?????

Come on,,its great to have the turbines,,,but who else is going to spend that green and wreck their stuff ???

New ones ,,,where ?????

Don't be fooled by your dreams !!!!!!!
AM not running yet this year has nothing to do with racing, or the economy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.