Notices

Hornet Marine

Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bluellama
David, is that Hull #1 in the Miami Boat Show pic? Too bad Sharkey couldn't have got pictures of the complete boat.
I am sure you know I did my best to do so. I asked if I could get images of what was under the cover and the response was that the boat was not finished therefore that they would rather not have photos taken of it. I respected that, but on the flip side, it would have been a good opportunity for people to see how clean their build was...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hartmann
The hull bottom is not a copy. We did build the tooling ourselves and made some changes.
David Hartmann
860 516 3141
As with many boat manufacturers and the digital age, I am sure you must have taken plenty of pictures of the wooden plug that was used to build the tooling....

Post some of those Wooden Plug images to prove to the members here that it was not a copy or a splash off another Donzi hull and I think you may find people a little more receptive knowing you went through the hard work of building the plug 1st .

It's just too bad I could not have had you guys work off of the design of the Bullet 130.
That design by Tom De Angelis was and still is the best out there today for a 13 footer. Should you have made a 16 out of it, I could put money on it that it would run circles around some 21's.

Afterall my Bullet 130 out ran some of the larger Offshore Boats back in the day !

Best of luck with your project.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 08-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a crazy thread. I don't know David and I don't know Weasel.But there sure is a lot of over reacting here. Seems David is trying to build an afforable 16 Classic clone. Sounds fine to me,and I was one of the first dealers to sign up with Donzi when Genth bought it about 1985.The 16 was not in production then. I was a Donzi dealer off and on till about 2003 or so. The 16 had come back in production,a few were sold,but how many were sold in the last few years? Not many,too much money for a 40 year old 16' boat.How many of the Donzi purists here have bought a new 16? I guess not many,better to restore an old one,and I respect that. What exactly is a real Donzi? The company has been sold many times,and they will soon be Donzi built by Fountain,as production is moving to NC.I applaude David for trying to build a nice,low priced 16 Classic clone,or whatever you want to call it.One of my all time favorite boats,but I would not spend the $ on a new "real" one. And if you check the sales fiqures,hardly anyone else has either.Being loyal to a brand is great,but if David is maybe going to move forward here,I say go for it.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donziweasel
Well, here is a qoute from the LGDCC President on another forum-

Since you are as big a part of the club as the Pres, considering the above statement, how can you say you can give an honest and unbiased opinion? He is, as stated, a freind, long standing member, and a loyal member. An exception was made to rules that have been pretty much set in stone. He is probably the first non-Donzi to be in the show in the history of the dustoff. Danny doesn't count because he was not in the show. So, does your honest opinion count towards Vance? Cobalt? Chris Craft? Python? Lenco? If I showed up with a Vance, would I be allowed in the show?

Matty, not trying to start anything, but I think your "honest opinion" would be more honest if you had never met David or if he was not a "freind" and "loyal" and "long standing" member of the LGDCC.

Honest that is funny when your post is full of falsehoods

do you mean "friend" ??? I am being honest, a splash of the 16 is no biggy it is by far the most copied boat around. I really don't think a small shop is going to effect donzi these days there are other issues more important.

let me set the record straight with the truth not some BS rumor .

David was afforded the same courtesy as DR Dan he was allowed to come to the docks in the morning but was not part of the show or run. David's boat was not part of the show or run he knew that . he may have shadowed the run for a bit but
2 other members did in a rented boat that day too. they are public docks it 's a restaurant, it's a public lake . I guess we should kick people off the lake not let them dock and live up to our elitist reputation which is not the case ?????? WTF

I have a real problem with my honesty being questioned and then having non truths being posted by someone who wasn't within 700 miles of the event. the hornet was not part of the show or run so get that straight

now to your question first off you are not a member of the LGDCC club yet in order to do that you have to be at one of our events and pay the one time fee of 25$.

ok so say you've done that and become a loyal member for what reason would you be coming in a splash is your critter running??? do you live on an island and need it for transportation to get to the event??? answer those and I'll give you an honest answer.

so i would appreciate if you could get your facts straight,

for the last time if the moon was made of cheese and elephants flew a splash of the 16 if it were made reggie fountain to me really is no biggy well that might not be to far from the truth in the near future he may be making them.

again if the 16 was the bread and butter to donzi why would they have dropped it from production 3 times twice by the same owner???

also I asked a question which 16 hull bottom did they splash????

Last edited by mattyboy; 08-25-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Registered

Let it begin Mr. Self Proclaimed Elitist.

do you mean "friend"
Coming from someone who just learned to type in the last few years and couldn't convey a simple idea before that, please do not spell check my replies. I would love to post some of your posts prior to 2008 Mr. Wordperfect.

I guess we should kick people off the lake not let them dock and live up to our elitist reputation which is not the case ?????? WTF
Well, you have been an elistist prick for so long, I am surprised you didn't. You have hand picked which Donzi's are allowed at your gathering for years, pissing alot of people off while doing it. You run it like you ran d.org when you were a moderator, heavy handed. No wonder attendance was off this year.

the hornet was not part of the show or run so get that straight
I heard different from multiple sources.

ok so say you've done that and become a loyal member for what reason would you be coming in a splash is your critter running???
Better question is would I be allowed to. The same question I asked before that you either won't or can't answer.

again if the 16 was the bread and butter to donzi why would they have dropped it from production 3 times twice by the same owner???

also I asked a question which 16 hull bottom did they splash????
Your the historian, enlighten us.

You still haven't answered one of my questions Matty, just deflected with more of your own.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Registered

And for the record, I have no problem with the LGDCC. Some great guys are part of the group. Danny, Dwight, Jay, etc..... Hope to meet many of them one day. Don't worry Matty, it probably won't be at Lake George though.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donziweasel

Well, you have been an elistist prick for so long, I am surprised you didn't. You have hand picked which Donzi's are allowed at your gathering for years, pissing alot of people off while doing it. You run it like you ran d.org when you were a moderator, heavy handed. No wonder attendance was off this year.

DW
I have no bone to pick with anyone, including you or Matty but I came to the dustoff last year with a less than original 16, no membership nor history with Donzi's whatsoever or the LGCDC yet Matty and Scott couldn't have been more welcoming or hospitable to me and my family. I would think Donzi "elitist" would not have been so friendly. Both AOTH and the Dustoff are first class events with great people and it seems as if you and Matty have a difference in opinions you would be better served to not include trashing a nice event that you haven't been too. Everyone there would vouch for this event including one of the original designers of Donzi's who stood on the dock and checked out the hornet.
Just my .02 fwiw

NK
Old 08-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Registered

Nauti

Glad you had a nice time
Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Registered

Be there next year with a bigger boat and can't wait Thanks
NK
Old 08-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Registered

Kitty, not trashing the event, the LGDCC, dustoff, fall picninc, etc....

This began on another forum and I simply inquired why the LGDCC allowed the Hornet to participate as they have been failry stringent in the past on what Donzi's are allowed to attend. No mailce intended and a simple response without name calling woudl have been fine, but what i got instead was this-

The President then called me and another guy "Stuck up snotty". That is how it began. The answer I got was posted above. Basically, it said an excpetion was made because he is a freind and a loyal LGDCC member. In other words, he was allowed due to his ties with the club, not on the boats merits. My reply was if I joined the club and showed up with a Vance, Python, or Cobalt, would I be allowed to participate. I still have not received an answer and that in or itself answers my question.

Once again, NOTHING against the LGDCC or it's members. Some great people I consider freinds in the group. It seems that in the last few days I now have a problem with a couple of members of the club, that is all. Once again, I am sure that the LGDCC members feel I am attacking thier club, which I am not. I am sure some are pissed at me, but I was attacked by the President first and things seems to have gone down hill from there fast.

The reason I will not attend any LGDCC events is I am about 2800 miles away. The southern events are easier for me.

Hope this clarifies my position.

Now as to Hornet Marine, take a look at the pictures below. It is one thing to splash a hull, it is another to plagarize a distinct trademark. Hornet should invent it's own identity, not steal Donzi's.
Attached Thumbnails Hornet Marine-donzi-000_1955.jpg  
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.