Notices

Hornet Marine

Old 08-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hornet Marine

I ran into the owner of Hornet Marine with his first prototype 16 footer here on Lake George NY (I live here) and am impressed. I have owned three Donzi's over the last 15 years, a 16 classic, 18 classic and a limited edition Minx and loved them all.
Hornet appears to have improved greatly on the 16 classic. The interior is deeper than the origional and fit and finish is way beyond what I previously owned. If a small company like Hornet Marine can build a superior boat like this, why couldn't Donzi do it. I am eagerly waiting for more offerings from this superior manufacturer.
Walter
Old 08-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Registered

Default It's a splash...

At least the bottom is, of the 16 Classic. A direct copy. I looked at it in Miami this year, and there is no doubt.

I have owned a 16, 18, and currently have a 22 Classic.

My first question to the guy in the booth in Miami was "Why couldn't they come up with their own bottom design?"

And before someone chimes in and states that splashes occur all the time in this business, it doesn't make it right.

I for one was not and still not impressed now.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Banned

Isn't this boat a tribute to the original? That bottom design is nothing special in this day and age and to copy it is not a big deal. Please don't try to make something out of nothing and lets appreciate the fact that someone is entering the industry when many others are struggling.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Registered

I dont see anything wrong with a splash from a great design. This is what makes the Hornet Marine boats so affordable while still offering a high-quality build. They didnt have to spend huge bucks on R&D which would be passed on to the consumer. There are high-priced sport boats being produced already! Hornet is simply filling a void that allows a middle class family to own a great boat.

I own a Donzi 22C. If I were in the market, and someone were to offer a nice reproduction of a 22C with a higher quality build at an affordable price, I would probably buy one too.

The tool that Hornet Marine purchased is a work of art that is being kept alive by Hornet marine. When a company sells its tools, it knows it is also selling its R&D along with the artwork that the original designers put their heart and soul into but have decided to go another direction. This is how the business works. Hornet Marine is not trying to build a Donzi, they are building an affordable sport boat. If Donzi was concerned about a "copy", they would have destroyed the tool as opposed to selling it. I highly doubt they made much $$$ off of the tool itself when they sold it. Clearly, they wanted someone else to reproduce the hull.

I AM IMPRESSED by the founder's interest in fulfilling their dream of producing high-quality boats, while not letting the recession kill the idea of opening a boat production facility.

I'm glad Hornet Marine is in business, and hope they are wildly successful. Every boater should be happy that Hornet is business too. We now have yet another choice when looking for our next purchase of a new boat.

Oh and by the way, the hull is the only copy. I believe the deck, as well as everything else, is their own design.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,171 Likes on 318 Posts

Its supposed to be a splash. Thats the point of the boat. They did a very nice job and the owner is a great guy
Old 08-16-2010, 02:09 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe the son of the original designer is running the company. Plus they did some modifications to the hull.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

P-W, what tool are you talking about?? They did not buy the tooling from Donzi..

SR, No visible mods to the bottom... And yes, I looked it over pretty thoroughly at the MIBS last year, albeit not my usual straight edge, square and level inspection I am known for in certain circles...

CMC, how do you set yout user CP to notify you EVERY freaking time the word Donzi comes up??? Christ man, give it a break...
Old 08-16-2010, 07:59 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Scott, not necessarily the hull bottom, but i remember reading something... here is what i read.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost...9&postcount=62

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost...8&postcount=64

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost...9&postcount=66
Old 08-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lowered the stringers to accommodate the lower cockpit? OK, so if I plug a Cig TSTG BUT raise the cockpit it's OK??

Regardless, it's a 16 bottom. Hell, they didn't even remove the hook on the port side.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

it's 17 ft..I have run the boat...runs good...the price is going to be very "reasonable"..they are trying this is today's economy...I wish them luck..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.