Offshore race teams longevity? >

Offshore race teams longevity?

Notices

Offshore race teams longevity?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

It's been mentioned on here that the boat counts, at boat races aren't what they use to. That may be true in many cases but there also has never been as many Big High End Poker Run Boats as there has been in the last decade. If you look at the hardware at the Thousand Island Poker Run and at many of the "Poker Runs America" events and the "Florida Poker Runs Club", you will see race boats that are used a pleasure boats for one specific reason, to go faster then the next guy. If these Poker Run boats were racing with a Race Association, I believe that the boat counts would be up to the old numbers. We are talking about Poker Run boats that can run well over 100 MPH and many at around the 150 MPH mark and some that are in the 150-180 MPH mark. They are really race boats that do the Poker Run Circuit and that is something that has affected boat racing in a big way along with other factors that were mentioned. Longevity in the sport is mostly about money and those that have raced for several years, have to worry about how much punishment their bodies can take as they get older, we all have our physical limitations after a while and we know that OFFSHORE POWERBOAT RACING is a very physically demanding sport. I spoke to an OFFSHORE POWERBOAT Race, who raced for over a decade and he said that he has neck problems from the weight of his helmet bouncing back and fourth and from side to side. The older racers didn't have the Hauns Device to protect their neck in case of an accident or just from racing. The economy does play a major roll in the race boat counts and the longevity of Race Teams but I think that the larger Poker Runs have also played a big part in boat counts.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 521 Likes on 211 Posts

Ok, alot of money means alot of different to alot of different people. How much does it cost to field a first class race team in the different classes?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDadys93x
all im saying no "big team" will ever do it or make it for very long!! I think Aqua- Mania "lost " their balls after their little flip in key west last year. I m probably wrong but what im saying is why cant these guys keep it going for a long term instead of a few years and out?? is it just a "cock" fest thing ??? " let me show my friends see how big it is then ill get out??
I'm a huge Alcone fan, and I remember him saying that after his kids got older, he'd be back. I can't wait. As far as longevity amongst boat racers, just imagine Nascar didn't have their TV contracts, and no sponsorship for most teams. I can't picture Earnhart Jr giving an interview and telling everybody that it only cost him $950,000 out of pocket to race this year. Racing for the love and passion and going broke, vs racing for a living. It would be an easy choice if we all had the chance to make it
Old 09-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
It's been mentioned on here that the boat counts, at boat races aren't what they use to. That may be true in many cases but there also has never been as many Big High End Poker Run Boats as there has been in the last decade. If you look at the hardware at the Thousand Island Poker Run and at many of the "Poker Runs America" events and the "Florida Poker Runs Club", you will see race boats that are used a pleasure boats for one specific reason, to go faster then the next guy. If these Poker Run boats were racing with a Race Association, I believe that the boat counts would be up to the old numbers. We are talking about Poker Run boats that can run well over 100 MPH and many at around the 150 MPH mark and some that are in the 150-180 MPH mark. They are really race boats that do the Poker Run Circuit and that is something that has affected boat racing in a big way along with other factors that were mentioned. Longevity in the sport is mostly about money and those that have raced for several years, have to worry about how much punishment their bodies can take as they get older, we all have our physical limitations after a while and we know that OFFSHORE POWERBOAT RACING is a very physically demanding sport. I spoke to an OFFSHORE POWERBOAT Race, who raced for over a decade and he said that he has neck problems from the weight of his helmet bouncing back and fourth and from side to side. The older racers didn't have the Hauns Device to protect their neck in case of an accident or just from racing. The economy does play a major roll in the race boat counts and the longevity of Race Teams but I think that the larger Poker Runs have also played a big part in boat counts.
effected poker runs too...negatively

a bad trend on a # of levels
by the late 90's the PR circuit was fast becoming a pissing contest of speed and (in reality) money, the money many times not right out of the guys pocket like the average Joe- if you get me...

honestly it was a stretch to feel a kinship to these people
aside from the pointy boats at first look, not too much in common beyond that

now has gone to the next level prefacing PR extinction...or worse- regulation on a larger scale
race-boats, some thinly disguised, some not so much, but just too many of them

but hey! taking over poker runs is so much cheaper than racing!

but not much safer...100 or 150 is still 100 or 150 if things go wrong!
I wonder if they are selling their families a false sense of security because
"it's just a poker run honey"
I personally think your better off doing 150 on a race course...

taking the speeds to the rediculous (think insurance)
and of course, expecting better accomodations ect.
the "easy money" guys of the past and now the "racers who don't race" crowd has priced and changed the mood to the point where the whole poker run experience is terribly out of touch with the by far largest population of performance boaters
and it's not just about money, I mean would I be boating with these people any other day? Do we or our lifestyles have anything in common?
Do I feel the need to drop $500 just to get close to them for a few minutes at the docks...maybe...if I'm lucky?
f**K NO
do these people even recreationally boat?
alot of the time that answer is also NO

what's interesting tho is how many have come and gone, sometimes pretty quickly over the years, and yet here I am 20 years+ still boating all summer in my 5th performance boat

would the real performance boat enthusiast please stand up?

would the egos, money, and equipment that belong on a race course please sit down?

I mean a couple of manufacturer supported "ringers" and a few race boats for exibition and to draw crowds at the docks, that's cool, but it's out of hand.

kids want to see raceboats, adults want to see performance boats that just might be attainable to them...that's what will stand a chance of saving the sport in perception and economics

NOT million dollar raceboats

Last edited by Rippem; 09-04-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoever is talking about aqua marine is a dumb a**!! greg has more balls than his whole family put together.. dont ever talk about an ill person u dumb a**!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem

by the late 90's the PR circuit was fast becoming a pissing contest of speed and (in reality) money, the money many times not right out of the guys pocket like the average Joe- if you get me...

now has gone to the next level prefacing PR extinction...or worse- regulation on a larger scale

the "easy money" guys of the past and now the "racers who don't race" crowd has priced and changed the mood to the point where the whole poker run experience is terribly out of touch with the by far largest population of performance boaters
and it's not just about money, I mean would I be boating with these people any other day? Do we or our lifestyles have anything in common?
Do I feel the need to drop $500 just to get close to them for a few minutes at the docks...maybe...if I'm lucky?
f**K NO

what's interesting tho is how many have come and gone, sometimes pretty quickly over the years, and yet here I am 20 years+ still boating all summer in my 5th performance boat

would the egos, money, and equipment that belong on a race course please sit down?

I mean a couple of manufacturer supported "ringers" and a few race boats for exibition and to draw crowds at the docks, that's cool, but it's out of hand.

kids want to see raceboats, adults want to see performance boats that just might be attainable to them...that's what will stand a chance of saving the sport in perception and economics

WHAT HE SAID

I agree
Old 09-04-2010, 07:56 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

The SVL Class started out with great balls of fire only to flame out.....

Now it seems someone just had to make a cartoon out of it...

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6991783/

Such a shame really ........

Anyone know what the status for Powerboat P1 USA is for next year ???

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
WHAT HE SAID

I agree
Alec, right?
Thanks for the backup
I was sure I'd get flamed!

I'd love to do poker runs again if things were different...
Old 09-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem

f**K NO

I agree totally,poker runs are not races,they do not have safety crews in the water or in the air and it is only a matter of time until the worst happens,do not say that it wont because there have been many close calls already.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:33 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HYPER1
I agree totally,poker runs are not races,they do not have safety crews in the water or in the air and it is only a matter of time until the worst happens,do not say that it wont because there have been many close calls already.
That all depends on who you run with.

NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run there is always a Chopper with a Diver as well as Medics on the boats.

This year we were fortunate enough to have Spectre Powerboats sponsor the Chopper for the Roar at the Shore once again, having a Diver. If no chopper is present, we still have plenty of great coverage on the water...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.