GPS for Christmas. Which One? >

GPS for Christmas. Which One?

Notices

GPS for Christmas. Which One?

Old 12-14-2010, 03:58 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am settling on the Garmin 546S. Not cast in stone but it looks like it has what I want. My considerations are panel space and cost of the 7" and bigger units. Also a large factor is that the learning curve is much shorter since I have other garmin's. I like the way my handheld chartplotter, & my black & white non chartplottter GPs have the same basic conventions as the new chartplotters.

Thanks for the input
Old 12-14-2010, 04:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by rjr
I am settling on the Garmin 546S. Not cast in stone but it looks like it has what I want. My considerations are panel space and cost of the 7" and bigger units. Also a large factor is that the learning curve is much shorter since I have other garmin's. I like the way my handheld chartplotter, & my black & white non chartplottter GPs have the same basic conventions as the new chartplotters.

Thanks for the input
I put a garmin 2006C in my boat. They are much less expensive if you go with "last years model"
Attached Thumbnails GPS for Christmas. Which One?-ciggpsnov08.jpeg  
Old 12-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joew.
I shopped for my electronics for a while and went with Lowrance. The 7" screen is the same price as the garmin 5" screen and has all the same options. It is very easy to use and the new models have internal gps antennas. This makes the installation very easy. I use the chart plotter and depth finder as a side by side and the chart plotter is always with in 1' of the depth. This is nice on my lake because parts are very shallow. Good luck!
I have the 525 and 9ish something. Both units are great in my opinion. The bigger one I purchased for the radar. (I am sure a buddies will bust my balls on this. Our lake is very small and I have a 4.5 array. )

All in all, I am very happy. They can also monitor your engines but I have never hooked that up.

There are great deals on ebay this time of year on new items. I paid 1400 for the new big screen, 4.5 open array, and a endless summers of g_aydar jokes..

Side note: Everyone else in the bs thread takes it in the can.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys think about the Garmin 3206c? Seems to be some good deals on eBay right now...