Notices

Poker run capable?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 957 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Dude, I didn't realize your motion was so nice! Sweet boat and the price does seem to be very good for what you get. Great looking ride!
That is the best deal on a Merc Powered 100 MPH turn key boat!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tabajay
Horses for courses, Jupiter Sunsation. I used to do track days and am now thinking to do poker runs. I'd like to do it for GT3 money ($120k) in the most capable, newbie manageable, new boat possible.

Beautiful boat, fountain40icbm. I'm probably a year away from buying, however (currently living/working overseas).
buying a "NEW" boat is the most expensive mistake you can make.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

if its a completely capable under 30ft V your looking for...look here.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o35884-en.html
Old 12-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I started poker running in a 22' Donzi Classic. Yes I got beat up but I was also 25 and could take it. I moved up to a 29' Kryptonite and ran many more poker runs including 1000 Islands, Atlantic City and others. The boat was awesome, never really got beat up and was never last.
Also, nowadays with all the center consoles running, there is usually a group running in the 65-70 range and even bigger boats like to take it easier and not break things on a long run.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

We had a 25AT with a HP500 (carb) and a plain B1 run the entire Key West Poker Run a couple years back. They ran with the slow group, and were often in the middle of the pack.

It really all depends on your equipment and your driving skills; not just the hull/length/deadrise.

Give me a shout if you would like to discuss anything further.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tabajay
Curious what would be considered minimally capable for Florida Powerboat Club poker runs.

The Tuff 28? http://www.tuffmarine.com/Boat_Pages...28_inboard.htm

Cool looking boat. That would be fine on the FPC runs that use the Biscayne Bay to navigate the Keys. The Bay stays smooth, and only produces a lighter "chop" when the wind kicks up. The last 30 miles to South Key West as others mentioned, gets rougher due to being on the outside, but it can even lay down at times.

The Islamorada, Hawks Key, & other runs FPC has down in the keys, would be fine in that boat as well.

Also, I have run down to Key West with some friends that were in a 28 Skater, and they had a total blast the whole run. They weren't even close to being the last boat everywhere, & could cruise easily in the 70's the whole way down. Those are great boats, and TONS of fun to drive.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Dude, I didn't realize your motion was so nice! Sweet boat and the price does seem to be very good for what you get. Great looking ride!
Thanks Tank and if you really want to see custom rigging check out our Sutphen, which is also for sale!! Would like to sell quickly to get a new ride ready to take to Havasu!!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Thanks Tank and if you really want to see custom rigging check out our Sutphen, which is also for sale!! Would like to sell quickly to get a new ride ready to take to Havasu!!
Ive toyed with the idea of picking up a 30 or 36 spectre in the future. If I was ready I'd snatch that motion up in a heart beat. Cleanest one I've seen. Ill look for the sutphen. Look forward to seeing you in havasu and we can argue about boats. I'll even buy you a beer...you are old enough to drink now right?

Last edited by thisistank; 12-12-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:27 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 160 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by boating37
It's on the small size of boats, but you can have alot of fun
doing the runs. I had a 30Y2K Superboat. and the boat ran
94mph and I was one of the first V bottoms to the stop at the
Miami boatshow run last year.Boat ran and I kept up with the
big boys loved 2-3 chop. But I did do the Royal Purple Poker Run, and that lake beat the sh-t out of us. It was rough that day, lots of boats stayed in but we did the run and it was good 5's on the lake. Put that boat up forsale when I got home and bought a bigger boat. Just go have fun and besafe.
some one correct me if i am wrong but some 40' cats getting the s^%T beat out on them on the royal purple and some cigs getting wet also from the lakes.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by caseyh
some one correct me if i am wrong but some 40' cats getting the s^%T beat out on them on the royal purple and some cigs getting wet also from the lakes.
On shootout weekend at LOTO, you'll get beat up unless your on a 50' SeaRay or bigger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.