Notices

Super Hawaii

Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
I told my friend that boat is made for bigger water,Ill bet it would be pretty impressive. When I was reading the post from 08 it was mentioned that the mold was crushed. I think someone made a bad decision on that one, Are the 40's all diesels or could you get gas motors as well. What would the advantage of a diesel be?
I think that I have the only diesel SH. I have not heard that anyone else has the Cummins/ASD package. My apologies if I am mistaken. I am in the process of repowering it with new Cummins QSB-480's. Should be ready to sea-trial this Spring. The water on Lake Erie is a little hard this time of year for a water test
Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 954 Likes on 348 Posts

actually crushing the 34 mold was the best thing they did. it was terrible. every one of them had to have the bottom blue printed to make them run. Bill Sirois and I fixed the first 34 built down at the Super Hawaii race shop in Sarasota. the boat porpoised so bad it would ventilate the props. after we straightened everything the boat ran great in every thing. the one 40 we had won the around Italy race with basically stock Mercury Racing 420's. that boat never missed a beat in all kinds of water for days on end.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the porpoising problem common with the Midnight Express 32 hull also or was this just with the SH hull, What had to be done to fix the problem?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 954 Likes on 348 Posts

I think the issue was with the age of the mold. they straightened and trued the bottom on them and they ran great. I think the original plan when they scrapped the mold was to make new ones but that never materialized due to some other issues with the owner of SH.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Payton (Mark) is the resident expert on these boats What he says is law

Hope all is well with you Mark
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Payton (Mark) is the resident expert on these boats What he says is law

Hope all is well with you Mark

haha,Marc, I think you misspelled law, It's spelled crap.
I've been doing well this winter. But thank you. Just a little busy with getting parents to doctors.

My SH only had a slight porposing issue. Really only in flat water. However, it did had a 1/4" rocker about 4' forward of the transome. I did remove this and actually put a 1/8" step in it's place. That did move any porpusing it had, unless I over trim. It also gave me a couple more mph at top speed.
Habana Joe suggested I make a ledge where the bussel meets the transome. to free up the hull. I think I had achieved the same thing with what I did.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 747 Likes on 338 Posts

Do/did any Intrepids hulls share S.H. design ?
ed
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
ed
No, they were different
Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
...after we straightened everything the boat ran great in every thing. the one 40 we had won the around Italy race with basically stock Mercury Racing 420's. that boat never missed a beat in all kinds of water for days on end.
This one?
http://boatmad.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=20065
Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
ed
Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
No, they were different
Not even this one?

(I copied the pic from http://www.historicraceboats.com/home.htm a while ago but can't find it there again)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.