Notices

Super Hawaii

Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 926 Likes on 335 Posts

we got the bright idea one day to test without the wing on it. it chine walked so bad I swear all I saw was water spray-blue sky-water spray-blue sky. I remember years later when I was with Alcone I was in Key West talking with Fabio and he was telling me all the things "you Americans" do wrong with our boats and how his are so smooth and stable. I asked him if he had ever actually watched one of his boats as I got seasick watching his boats chine. you could almost see the steam coming out of his ears.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I raced the old 38 in Key West with the wing off, before the race that morning we went out to run a little and the seas were beam, pretty big in spots. The boat rolled over so far the wing tips got wet, we crapped our pants and said take it off - that was the one and only time the wing was off. It rolled around pretty well and with the old rack and pinion sterring it was man's work to keep her straight up!

Someone send me an email I need to post a pic here of young Steve!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Habana Joe, do you know if SH did actually ever build exact copies (not the variations with different decks or bustles etc) of the FB Design 38' (Ebel) or 46' (Cesa)?
Do you know how many were made of this model? :
http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...=big&limit=all
Old 02-11-2011, 06:07 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Joe, I'll post them for you. [email protected]
Old 02-11-2011, 06:10 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Why did the 34s have a rocker in them? or was it only minefrom sitting on the trailer so much? It was right where Myco put a gap in the bunkers for lifting a boat.
Or was that as someone said because of poor molds?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by olli
Habana Joe, do you know if SH did actually ever build exact copies (not the variations with different decks or bustles etc) of the FB Design 38' (Ebel) or 46' (Cesa)?
Do you know how many were made of this model? :
http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...=big&limit=all
not during the early years, all the stepped hulls came from Italy. Don't forget and you'll know better than me where, Buzzi was not a production boat builder, the people who built the Monte Carlos (maybe one of the Abbatte's) built the production boats. There was much confusion back then what did exactly Buzzi build or did he modify someone else's boat? Even the Cesa, there are almost exact copies of her running around as pleasure boats and they were built in the 80's also and known as Nitro's.

So, who really did build or design what?

You know, if I say I want to build a better mouse trap and it should use a laser to vaporize the mice but I know nothing about lasers but lots about mice. I go to NASA and tell them to build a laser and they do, I then attach it to a store bought 99 cent mouse trap and become world famous for having a better mouse trap - did I design it, build it, assemble it, just have a good idea or am I a great facilitator that I saw what people wanted and was able to put all the best minds together and make it real???

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 02-11-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Payton
Why did the 34s have a rocker in them? or was it only minefrom sitting on the trailer so much? It was right where Myco put a gap in the bunkers for lifting a boat.
Or was that as someone said because of poor molds?
If I had to guess it is easy to say "old mold" but usally I think they develope hook and not rocker from the weight of the transom holding the back down and forward of it rises from the heat of curing?

The old Midnight Express and a few others were useing Arneson's back in the day (early-mid 80's) for more speed and ability to hold more power. Surface drives run better with rocker than hook or straight bottoms (step bottoms are enhenced rocker). There were several sets of ME molds God only knows which ones we brought if even actual ME's. The 34' might have been a surface drive hull mold hence lots of rocker in it and they were happy to sell it to us at a premium!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

here's Joe's pic
Attached Thumbnails Super Hawaii-scan0001-1-.jpg  
Old 02-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
If I had to guess it is easy to say "old mold" but usally I think they develope hook and not rocker from the weight of the transom holding the back down and forward of it rises from the heat of curing?

The old Midnight Express and a few others were useing Arneson's back in the day (early-mid 80's) for more speed and ability to hold more power. Surface drives run better with rocker than hook or straight bottoms (step bottoms are enhenced rocker). There were several sets of ME molds God only knows which ones we brought if even actual ME's. The 34' might have been a surface drive hull mold hence lots of rocker in it and they were happy to sell it to us at a premium!
Hm, interesting. I sanded out the back half of the rocker, making a slight step. Then sanded the back 4" straight intsead of a slight hook at the back. It really made my hull ride higher in the water and still no chine walking whatsoever.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Payton
here's Joe's pic
Thank you - Steve if that is you were the rather cool guy with shades in the middle -

The question is do you remember which of those is me?

To the left is your pace boat and right is my 34' with the diesels in it.

I tried to give a positive spin on the rocker in the 34's as to why so bad and this picture reminded me the 34' had the Arensons on it and that boat ran pretty flat till about 72-74 mph then it would porpoise or run out of bottom? That boat had the stainless box/plate on the transom to cover the notch and let us mount the Arenson drives on there flat and that box had a slight hook in it.

I only ever ran the first 34' red boat in the ocean, out of goverment cut, etc so I don't recall a bad porpise I only remember I could never run the boat flat out because everytime I had it, it was rough as hell!

How fast did any of you remember the boat start to porpise at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.