Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating? >

Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?

Notices

Are Center Consoles the Future of Go-Fast Boating?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salesmanship
Interesting article.
While not for everyone they are the next best thing when the performance boater wants to do something different.
Lots of room and practical features but still capable of poker running.
We've sold a fair amount in the last year and a half and most never fish. However you can if you want.
During my last year of poker runs I've ended up with no less than 12 people on board. Typically I end picking up extras from a broken go fast. We don't get there first but we always do and everybody had a great day.
Same here. Tons of fun.

If everyone could see Terry's last "CREW" they would rethink their position.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

ya...maybe they are not as cool..or macho...or possibly a mental position of down sizing for some of us..it was at one time very hard for me to go from a 43 NT to a CC..and if one can afford more than one boat for different reasons so be it...I applaud you. Ive had the opportunity to own a few smaller cc's since my boat has sold..and I love it. Whats nice about cc's is ease of maintance, more reliable, the ability to do and see more with many people involved, relaxing, possibly having a beer and not worry that hey dont spill that on my carpet... knowing that I dont have a 35k paint job to worry about, cleaning the boat when I arrive back..stuff like that...I see all positives...except one...................speed...and I can deal with that..throw on another motor if thats a concern..ok I'm done with my .02 Jeff
Old 03-26-2011, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
ya...maybe they are not as cool..or macho...or possibly a mental position of down sizing for some of us..it was at one time very hard for me to go from a 43 NT to a CC..and if one can afford more than one boat for different reasons so be it...I applaud you. Ive had the opportunity to own a few smaller cc's since my boat has sold..and I love it. Whats nice about cc's is ease of maintance, more reliable, the ability to do and see more with many people involved, relaxing, possibly having a beer and not worry that hey dont spill that on my carpet... knowing that I dont have a 35k paint job to worry about, cleaning the boat when I arrive back..stuff like that...I see all positives...except one...................speed...and I can deal with that..throw on another motor if thats a concern..ok I'm done with my .02 Jeff
ALL THE ABOVE. Ease of maintainance. I want easy! I'm in my 50's and just don't have the time to fix up on sht all the time!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the switch myself this week. In no way do I think that I will like the boat better but it just makes more sense for me right now. I have a five and a three year old and my cat just wasn't practical to go out and hang out on with my kids. For those who know me they know that kids eating and drinking in there wasn't going to happen either (lol). I figure I can still do poker runs, and use the boat every weekend vs. pokerrun weekends. The money is definately a factor also. The car business isn't the best these days, and my last two repairs are close to what this boat will cost me per year. Years ago I would have had the same reply as Dan and both Bills did but needs change and they build them everyday if it turns out Im wrong.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Alright then, that supports the theory of this thread. I only have a small boat but I do take it off-shore regularly and I love the sports car feel of it (and looks). I've always thought of the CCs as fishing boats and figured that if I had that many friends or family I would get a deck boat. Many of my friends are not into boating and some only go out there with me once..hehe...so I rarely have 4 people on board.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The push for the CC style was mainly warmer climates on the ocean. Typically, they had robust hulls and deeper vees, more freeboard, and outboards. Outboards are far more friendly in ocean running than stern drives. CC's typically were very spartan, with great accommodations for the fish, not so much for people.

Things change. CC builders are definitely concentrating on more comfy accommodations for people, with almost bowrider like seating up front, enclosed heads, even cabins in the larger ones. But they are open boats primarily, and as such, don't lend themselves nicely to northern climates. Our local dealer took on Proline this year. A very nice boat for the money, spartan, but a great hull.

I looked at many CC's the last couple of years, and just didn't find them very comfortable for what I want in a boat. I think the primary attractions are the hulls and outboard power. There are finally some outboard models coming to market now in the smaller boats, 18' and up now. Outboards no longer have the price gap on them, and many builders figured out how to incorporate nice swim platforms and landings.

Another fine choice, is the dual-console. Much more practical for cruising, it's always been amazing that they never caught on as much as the CC in southern climates. The advantage of the CC is walking around while taking a fish. If you find one with the right seating, they can be fun in open water blasts. But I don't see the CC replacing closed deck boats here or on the Great Lakes either. It gets cold darn it .
Old 03-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a hot rodder of cars, boats, bikes etc, my whole life and I am sure my 66 Mustang with 450hp was not as comfortable as a Caddy and my Harley Springer is not as comfortable as a Goldwing and I know my 36 cat is not as comfortable as the cruise ship that took me to Cancun and I have to jump in the water to go the bathroom. But I don't do any of this things to be "comfortable". I love the whole performance, wind in my face, greasy butt factor that hot rods give me and I am like Bill. I do not want to have a boat load of people with me at 130mph. 2 or 3 pleases me fine. I can't see the CC boat drawing the crowds at gas stations, docks etc. that the 36 cat does. Sometimes we get a trail of people following us down the interstate, gawking at the boat and F650 pulling it. The high fives that come from people young and old are also a kick. Its kinda fun to have people come up to you with the questions everywhere you go. Dan
Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
My thoughts exactly! I sold the Cig and bought a Scarab CC. Not as fast - but I can flush / wash in 10 min.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 03-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Yeah, what they said. I can't see it happening. Maybe they are selling better now but probably for fishing use.
well ya know BP is advertising that fishing has never been better in the gulf and she's all cleaned up
Old 03-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
I love the whole greasy butt factor
You had me til I got to that part....

just kidding you know...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.