Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the dumbest thing you have ever done while boating? >

What is the dumbest thing you have ever done while boating?

Notices

What is the dumbest thing you have ever done while boating?

Old 05-28-2002, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy OUCH!!!

I'll never make this mistake again...took my boat out on Saturday, and while unloading the boat off the trailer I forgot to lock the winch back in place...so...when I reached down to unhook the boat a small wave pushed the boat up and then back, spinning the winch handle right into my head! Gave everyone at the dock a nice gory show while blood gushed down my face...luckily no stitches, and I still made it out on the water that day!

Racing_Fan
Old 05-28-2002, 05:21 PM
Registered

That's gonna leave a mark...
Old 05-28-2002, 05:27 PM
Registered

While anchored at a sand bar on a windy day, I noticed a boat drifting toward my bow. I climbed up on the deck and ran toward the bow. The boat was now rapidly approaching as they'd pulled their anchor trying to reset it. My plan was to sit on the bow and fend them off with my feet. As I sat down rapidly I sat right on the bow cleat (lengthwise). I really had to bite my lip to avoid the pain of embarassment to any onlookers and the others in my boat. Nobody even noticed!!
Old 05-28-2002, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the stupidest thing I ever did was to look at a faster/bigger boat. Those who fail to remember the past are doomed to repeat it! That may be the good side!
Tim T.

Oh, one other time (someone who looked exactly like me with same boat truck etc.) was camping from the boat at a reservoir. Wife and I decided to go to town for a hot meal and supplies so we put the boat back on the trailer with the intention of leaving the boat at the ramp lot and just taking the truck to town. Ever been to one of those mystery spots where everything uphill looks down hill and so? This ramp had trees that were bowed from the wind. The lot was long flat (or so I thought) and smooth. So there I am unhooking the boat from the truck and the coupler gets stuck on the hitch so I jump up and down on the step bumper. Eventually it comes unhooked and I go to step back onto the trailer and it is gone! Parking lot had an ever so slight grade to it, hardly perceptible (after three days of partying). I figure no problem just jump in the boat and grab a wheel chock. Climb up into the boat and toss out a fender or two. Jump out of the boat and place behind the wheel. Well 5600 lbs. Just flattened the fender. No biggy just get the anchor, rolled over that.

By this time the boat is going slightly faster and heading for the end of the lot about a ¼ mile away. Lots of time, consider fetching the truck decided against it. Tried skiing behind the trailer, slowed it a little but 101/2 D’s have little effect. Finally forced the tongue of the trailer at a right angle to the incline. Ah, success she is slowing down. Hey isn’t that at dually with a bass boat we are heading for? Push the tongue around the other way, now I am heading for the side of the lot with no curb and a swamp on the other side, **** back the other way! Finally got it stopped, took all of a minute. Thing that really pissed me off was the dozen or bass boaters that just stood by and watched. Never moved their Skool chomping asses to give a hand. Oh well never unhook the safety chains until you are chocked.

Tim T,
Old 05-28-2002, 05:44 PM
loosecannon22

I drank too much and actually thought that I could drive home at night with dead recogning. I passed a chanel marker at 45 mph or so about 1" off of my starbord. never again, that was by far the stupidest thing I ever did.
LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES!!!

Old 05-28-2002, 06:19 PM
Registered

Pulled our former boat (21' Scarab) up the boat ramp, dragging the outdrive all the way. Had waaayyy toooo much to drink. Didn't realize what the scraping noise was at first. Thank God the skeg is sacrificial.

First day out in our new 32' Fountain. Thought that 1/4 tank on the fuel gauge meant 1/4 tank (about 35 gallons remaining). Thought wrong. Got pulled back to the docks by a pontoon boat.

==== Things I've Seen ====
Once saw sombody who locked his keys in his truck, at the boat ramp, with his boat on the trailer, and the trailer in the water. The truck was still running.

Once saw sombody in a large cruiser (approx 40') trying to put it onto a shop trailer. Missed the trailer, and lodged it onto the ramp a good 15'.

A tri-hull approached a slip way too fast. Front corner of the boat hit the entry to the slip. Launched the passenger into the air, where he splash landed in the slip. Captain and passenger were obviously tanked.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:28 PM
Registered

I think the dumbest thing I want to admit is going without a boat for 10 or so yrs..... of course I 've certainly made my share of the same ole same ole mistakes....I hope to never be boatless again..

just thought o f a good one. .. night fishing off Canveral in 5 footers...also was my first night outing in eons....we were to bottom fish at the shelf all night cop a few zzzss, and start trolling fisrt thing...for those of you not from here the ledge is approx 28-32 miles offshore.. as we headed outside the inlet my friend looked at me and said . "should we be going out " SURE ...I said, anyhow we stayed in at about 4 miles trying to see where the seas were going to end up...after about 6 sharks and a few nausous moments we tuked our tails and headed in....ended up being about 5-7 that next day..... all i can say is boy that ship basin felt good..... nice and flat....

of course there is the time my buddy made a hammock in the cockpit and was practically sleeping if no tsleeping while running up the coast about 10 miles off at 35 mph , i was nodding up front when i got up for something to drink and there he lay.....needless to say i was awake after that.....scary sh#%

Last edited by NASTY HABIT; 05-28-2002 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-28-2002, 09:31 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

put me under the same story as baja daze . . .cept we spent an hour and a half wrenching on the motors before we remembered the kill switch tabs . . . .they were on the lifeline vests . . . . . . on the back of the boat . . . .D'OH . . . .
Old 05-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

Had a few drinks-- about 5 boats rafted to me when a friend pulls up to my stern-- tied the boats stern to stern with x ropes. He didn't have an anchor so I got out my spare. gave him the end of the rope and was going to set the anchor myself ( by hand). Grabbed a toss cusion and the anchor. Held the toss cushion with one hand to my chest. NOW IT GETS GOOD. Anchor is heavy - right. So I figure it will sink faster than I will when I dive in -RIGHT. I hold the anchor out in front of me and jump. What I failed to realize ( due to the drinks ) was that the anchor is a flat surface and when it hit the water it stopped for a second before it sank. Nice gash and BIG bump on the forehead. GOOD thing for the alcohol!!!
Old 05-28-2002, 10:47 PM
Registered

well one of mine has to be on the 4th of July, getting out on the bow, with anchor in hand, I throw the anchor out and forgot to let go with the other hand, well I ended up in the water, when I surfaced everyone was clapping, one moment i wish i could forget.
Mark

Quick Reply: What is the dumbest thing you have ever done while boating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.