Notices

Had My Truck Chipped

Old 06-10-2002, 03:01 PM
Intolerant1

Well I just had my truck unchipped. I had one of the original Hypertech chips before they came out with the programmer. 99 F250SD PSD. My truck died on the road the other day like the fuel pump went bad (Fuel filter housing was empty of fuel upon looking. So I had towed to Ford ,$80, and told the mechanic about the chip. The next day I get a bill for $146 more for diagnostic. All they did was pull the chip and the truck runs fine. Kinda ****ty but what can you do....? HYpertech says they were having problems with the chips and thats why they went to the programmer. Again, kinda ****ty. Anyway, I just pulled the boat 300 miles and it felt like the ancor was dragging. Hypertech is going to send me a programmer, I pay the difference in price.

And yes, I would have pulled the chip myself but my wife was driving it when it died and I just told her to have it towed.

Old 06-11-2002, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

formula1 , call me @908-782-0688 ,JOE

Gumbydammit , OK OK , so maybe your alright . Sorry for snapping at ya ! Interesting project you have there . I few years back we did a 1990 chevy dualy with a V-6 Detroit and a 5 speed ! That thing was cool ! And what a noise ! It was a neat toy but one trip across the country was enough ! And a freind did a 1979 ford ( minny tractor ) with a twin turboed 3208 cat and a 9 speed complete with 60" spleeper and dual tandem rear axles . One being an air lift .

If your talking industial engines We've had cats and Cummings in our Kenworths . I prefer the 600 cat with an 18 speed and 3.55 gears !
Now thats a package !As for a pickup , I personaly prefer everything about the Ford . Have had them all .We get several new trucks every year . I had a half dozen guys hauling for me with Dodges . Pulling 5,000 -6,000 lbs . They were getting 9-11 mpg and they were complaning about the noise the motor made and how bad it shakes . They also got new trucks about every year and kept buying Dodges and kept complaning .( I AM NOT KNOCKING DODGE ,I'M JUST TELLING WHAT HAPENED ). ONce in a while we would run together on trips (me in my fords ) . I always took the bigger loads as they couldn't keep up if they did. One guy from Oklahoma was a die hard dodge man . The kind to put you down all the time for not having one ! He went through 4 new dodges in 3 years .His were terible ! All the suddon he quit hauling for me . Found out why later . He bought a new Ford in 2001 and he loved it ! He was so rediculous he didn't want to let me see him with a ford that he quit so he didn't have to admit it to me ! IS THAT DUMB OR WHAT !! He now gets 3-4 mpg better towing then he did with any of his dodges . I know some of you say you get great mileage from your dodges but I have personaly never seen it . I do know that truck for truck and year for year 'our' Fords out pulled 'our' dodges. Not bragging ,just saying . NOt many people have the opertunity to own and drive both trucks at the same time . We do and thats just what we have seen . BELEIVE ME , If someone makes something beter ,I'll own it !! Right now I drive the Ford .
I think the power that all these trucks have now (well maybe chipped ) is plenty for this size truck . THis much power in a small truck can get someone hert real quick ! When you have the power to run over 90 mph grossing 30,000 lbs , LETS SEE YOU GET IT STOPPED !! THats were the problem is ,The brakes ! A lot of these bigger loads (boats) should be pulled with tractor trailers . Or at least a mid size truck.The ONLY reason I don't is you get hasseled with a big truck ! If you pull it with a pickup they let you go even though you may have too much weight to handle . LIke you said , Too many idiots to just hand out all that power to . They will abuse it and sue everyone else when they screw up !

Just my .10
Old 06-11-2002, 12:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boot,
Your right on with the gas mileage. I towed 10500lbs over the weekend and I kept the speed around 75-80 and with the air on I got around 10-11MPG . I did hit 85 a few times though

Just out of curiousity , what kind of mileage are you getting towing a similar load with your Ford ?

I talked to Donnie and with his chipped Dodge pulling 11000lbs he says he got 14mpg. I know Don and he doesn't like towing so I'm sure it was around 55-65 mph.
Old 06-11-2002, 12:33 AM
Gumbydammit

Got any pics of that truck you made?

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/

If you want to see a Cummins that will make your heart thump, talk to Chip at this place. Tell him one of Don's Amsoil dealers sent you.

That magic box will blow your mind!

You select how much nut at the push of a button. You can set it to limit the power too.

Joe, I should stop in NJ next time through and have you take Dons truck for a ride.

I personally can testify that one of those boxes at even 35% on a Cummins would have you thinking otherwise when it comes to power. (I think I would rather ride in the Ford though if I drove for a living.) The Ford with the Cummins!

By the way...you do use Amsoil oil and filters with the bypass kits, right?

Old 06-11-2002, 12:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I met a guy at the drag strip years ago that was a die hard Chevy fan , he pulled a 48 ft fifth wheeler and used to go thru a big block every racing season.
Well he couldn't part with his Chevy (87 body style) so he put a Cummins with a stick in it. He loved it and said it was a simple install.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:17 AM
Gumbydammit

Default Nothing like building your own

Chris, that sucks! At least it was not a pump or injector issue.

Scarab, I don't know about "easy"... but when you build your own rig, there is nothing quite like the feeling.
When you build your own truck to the level of making your own engine mounts and you work out all the details with drivetrain and throttle controls....get the cruise working too .... it is a challenge. When you finish, there is not an inch of the truck you dont know and therefore, you are usually not afraid of anything on it either.

I remember sitting there in front of the diesel pump and having a trucker or pickup enthusiast come up and ask what the hell I had under the hood.. "Thats a half ton, right? Thought they only put the 7.3 in a one ton..that don't sound like a 7.3.."
When I first built my van, there were not turbos on any of the trucks out there but the Cummins Dodge. Hearing the whistle from the pipe would bring out the gearhead in any crowd.
The looks and comments I got when they saw all the bolt ons with custom brackets and the turbo siting there allways made me feel good (of course, some said I was a sick puppy too).

hehe kind of like a street rod, except when you make a diesel truck, you drive it everyday and don't have to polish it so much

<sniff> I miss it. Maybe I will have to knock out the bees and go for a little ride today. (If the kingpins will hold together )

Old 06-11-2002, 10:48 AM
32Dominator01

Question 2002 Duramax Diesel

I new to the board and I have a few questions about my Duramax Diesel engine. I also am loking to gain some performace! I was looking to get a chip. Do they they make them? Were do I find them? What is the best deal for the dollar/performance? I have looked on the internet but all I can find are exhaust. Need some help!!!

Old 06-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Registered

32Dominator01 ,Welcome to the board !! YOu must be OK ,Your first post is about looking for more power !

I am a western diesel performance dealer and installer . I offer great deals for OSO members and friends . I just did a Dmax a couple days ago . I have a chip that makes 70hp and about 180ft lbs torque . With a good air filter and and at least a muffler change or a complete exhaust upgrade you could gain a couple mpg too . THis chip is adjustable .You can shut it off , add about 35hp ,or the full 70hp While you are driving .NO need to shut it off and reprogram it like some . THis chip realy wakes that big chevy motor up ! YOu will be very happy with it . If I can help ,e-mail me at : [email protected] Yuo can see the WD site at www.westerndiesel.com . Not sure if they upgraded the site to include the chevy stuff yet . They have been real buisy .

JOE
Old 06-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boot

How much would a superchip programmer for a 2002 ford cost me? I drove a friends last weekend and wow what a differance. I must have one!

Thanks

Gig
Old 06-11-2002, 11:23 PM
Registered

I don't sell the super chip stuff .Just the Western diesel stuff . I have my reasons .........

WD chip makes 75 hp /150 ft lbs . The tri power chip has low ,medium and high switch on the fly ! makes about 75/ 110/165 hp and up to 350 ft lbs . With ram air and exhaust can gain 2-5 mpg ! If you are interested e-mail me @

[email protected] JOE

Quick Reply: Had My Truck Chipped

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.