Notices

MY Ford PSD died today

Old 06-04-2002, 10:16 PM
Intolerant1

Unhappy MY Ford PSD died today

99 Ford F250 PSD with one of the early Hypertech chips. Just quit running two blocks from my house. Drained and changed the fuel filter and noticed the filter housing will not refill. This thing only has 58,000 miles on it. Im hoping its covered under the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. I got an oppurtunity to take the mechanic aside at the dealership and told him about the "chip". He was fine with it and stated he wouldnt tell Ford about it. He said they would yank my warranty quick if they knew it was in there. After talking to him, he hopped in my truck and it fired right up. Ran for about 5 minutes and shut off again. Any guesses on what the problem is.

Old 06-04-2002, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris-
Run it by the guys at www.ford-diesel.com
They'll have some pretty quick answers for you!
Jim
Old 06-04-2002, 10:29 PM
Intolerant1

To make my day even better. The oral surgeon had to reopen my gums and grind down some bone spurs that formed after having my wisdom teeth yanked a month ago. My face looks like a balloon. I just popped another Percocet and these problems should be fading soon

Old 06-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Intolerant1

Thats what a friend who works on em said. As long as its covered and I can get to Michigan with the boat by Friday night!

Old 06-04-2002, 10:37 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By law Ford CANNOT yank your warranty for having the chip.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:01 AM
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Just curious....

Originally posted by Baja Boss
By law Ford CANNOT yank your warranty for having the chip.

What is the reasoning behind this...???
Old 06-05-2002, 06:49 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to change mine a couple months ago. I'm out of warranty,cost about 70.00 from a big truck supply shop. I got all my info from the ford diesel link above,great sight for info on the PSD. Scott

I have heard that there is nothing Ford service can do about the chip changing the warranty status on the vehicle. My dealer Brondes in Toledo NEVER had a issue with it,they even sold them.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 99 would do that every now and then. It turned out that the chip was not making real good conection through the diagnostic port on the ECM. I took the ECM out and scotch brited more of the proctective coating off the port contacts and never had the problem again.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:48 AM
Wild Horses

Chris

My "unchipped" unit is still waiting to run you. Maybe you could flatbed it up here to Ontario and we could "race" with the engines off down the local hill.
Good Luck.

Old 06-05-2002, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds a lot like the cam position sensor gone bad. It's an all too common occurrance. You need to keep spares in your glove box like fuses and light bulbs...

Quick Reply: MY Ford PSD died today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.