Opinions Please.  Mercury or Ilmor >

Opinions Please. Mercury or Ilmor

Notices

Opinions Please. Mercury or Ilmor

Old 07-30-2011, 03:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stainless
Having been a Merc man all my boating career(30+years), I must say the Ilmors I now own are AWESOME! Better fuel mileage , incredibly smooth and without the hassles of blower belts breaking , etc. I heard the less resale value opinion as well when looking to buy, and I feel that once people see the incredible reliability, fuel mileage and overall build quality of Ilmor, they will get where they will bring a premium over mercury. My number one suggestion is to do a tour of the Ilmor facility.
I never knew they build all the Indy car engines for Honda!
Their facility is unbelievable! Their technical expertise far outweighs mercury! Check it out for yourself before you decide!
Its also nice not to have to clean belt dust from the bilge all the time.

UD
Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tpsbar
they will have their new 800-825hp engine out by the miami show. they are becoming a force in the market
that's exactly what I want to hear..will it still be nat. asperated. Jeff
Old 07-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered

I think there R other considerations like where U boat! 4 example, I boat in northern MI & there R 2 boat sales/merc repair dealers w/ in 3 miles! The best I know the nearest Ilmor service is 3 1/2 - 5 hours away towing! Summer is way 2 short up here 2 B down long or spend'n all your X tow'n round the state! That said, I like the Ilmors but the above kinda takes me outta their program!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ilmor/Indy

I would love to have an Ilmor 725 w/Indy Drive on my boat. If I were building my boat right now, that would be a perfect setup for my boat, and super reliable and fast...

Ilmor,, all the way for me, I don't want anything supercharged/turbo...

I love the fast 725/Indy pkg, and it looks awesome too!

Last edited by PokerRun388; 07-30-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
I think there R other considerations like where U boat! 4 example, I boat in northern MI & there R 2 boat sales/merc repair dealers w/ in 3 miles! The best I know the nearest Ilmor service is 3 1/2 - 5 hours away towing! Summer is way 2 short up here 2 B down long or spend'n all your X tow'n round the state! That said, I like the Ilmors but the above kinda takes me outta their program!
I was concerned about that as well. No matter what town you pull into there is a sign somewhere by a lake that says "Mercury." This was initially a concern for me as well.

The Ilmor water pump uses a Mercury impeller so the #1 maintenance item is covered. The serpentine belt is an automotive part so you can get it anywhere and I have a spare anyway. Nothing else really needs attention at least so far but oil and fluids on a seasonal basis. I run a bravo drive so I can get merc parts for that.

The mill is just stone reliable.

In contrast a quick search on this very site of Mercury 700's will reveal a multitude of these reoccurring problems

computer
boost controller (IAC)
fuel pump always running
fuel pump never running
hard starting from guy that run them hard.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...5sci-pcms.html

Note the days cycle quoted to get a warranty part here. It wont ruin your summer- but it will ruin a trip.

Extremely expensive computer replacements are not likely to be on a shelf regardless of the sign in the window - especially in kiddywampus Missouri.

Im not bashing the Merc 700 it is a great mill and one Id be proud to own - but it has had its share of issues.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 07-30-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 144 Likes on 86 Posts

I know the Ilmor are great engines I just cant stand that sound!! Ill stick with the BBC!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by flat rate
I know the Ilmor are great engines I just cant stand that sound!! Ill stick with the BBC!
The Marine engine sounds nothing like the corked up auto app.

People tell me my rig sounds like a cross between a BBC and a Ferarri/Lamborghini which is to say killer.

UD
Old 07-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

The Ilmors sound different and awesome!! Why sound like eveyone else!!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
The Marine engine sounds nothing like the corked up auto app.

People tell me my rig sounds like a cross between a BBC and a Ferarri/Lamborghini which is to say killer.

UD
agreed, they sound killer
Old 07-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Registered

Really, turn it up to reconsider !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwjHd...layer_embedded

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.