Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Opinions Please.  Mercury or Ilmor >

Opinions Please. Mercury or Ilmor

Notices

Opinions Please. Mercury or Ilmor

Old 08-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding to what Uncle Dave posted about the merc's.

Besides the various issues with the 700sci's, there has also been plenty of threads and posts about warranty and bad service issues regarding merc. I have not read such a post or thread about Ilmor - ever.

Emailed with Ian Hawkins about 3 yrs ago, just to get some questions answered and general info, among other things, info about service. I live in Denmark, and the nearest Ilmor shop was in Holland at the time, but my local merc pusher is a hi-po guy. Ian Hawkins just said, if you decide to go Ilmor, we'll just have to learn them how to work on your engines and get them certified. How's that for service. Class act.

Oh, almost forgot. I think you should go Ilmor.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 08-06-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Registered

Was told by Ian earlier that Dry Harbor Marine up in Charlevoix is look'n like a service place! He said he sent them info & was talk'n bout classes! They sold the 400ss Formula w/ the 725's!!
Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
...They sold the 400ss Formula w/ the 725's!!
That is one bad-a$$ ride.

I just wailed the cr@p out of my 725/Indy package at the NJPPC Barnegat Bay run, and it never missed a beat.

My (Mercury) trim tab pump motor, however, fell right off of the pump body itself...

Last edited by C_Spray; 08-08-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by C_Spray
That is one bad-a$$ ride.

I just wailed the cr@p out of my 725/Indy package at the NJPPC Barnegat Bay run, and it never missed a beat. My (Mercury) trim tab pump motor, however fell right off of the pump body itself...
I heard it's run'n round 75!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are all of the Merc cheerleaders? This thread has become kinda one sided. Interesting!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drpete3
Where are all of the Merc cheerleaders? This thread has become kinda one sided. Interesting!
They are too busy pressure checking CMI headers
Old 08-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by drpete3
It could be that people are just wanting a change..tired of the Merc monopoly...Ilmor makes a great product with even better support, something that Merc needs to improve upon to keep their marketshare. Secondly comparing a 700 nxt package to a 725 Ilmor package is a savings of 400 pounds..per side...that = speed = better fuel economy = more sales. They are a force to reckon with...
Old 08-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I assure you that you will not be disappointed w/ any of the ILMOR Packages. I don't believe in bashing ones product in order to make it's competitors look better + I've never personally owned a Mercury powered boat.

I see you are located in Michigan, I encourage you to visit the ILMOR facility, learn some more about their history, their accomplishments beyond the marine industry. Meet the very people you'll speak to on the other end of the phone, the ones that engineered & designed the engine / drive packages.

ILMOR probably can't hold a candle to the number of engines & drives Mercury has manufactured & sold over the years but look at what ILMOR has done in a short 7 yrs in the marine industry.

Personally I think they are far more technically advanced than Mercury & tend to stay on the front side of technology as a whole constantly improving upon what they've already developed while also introducing new components..

IMO their service, support & constant strides towards a better product are unmatched.

Last edited by NASCAT; 08-09-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered

Man, when ILMORdude reads this thread, he's ego and head is goin' to explode
Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Registered

If I told you that Ilmor powered me to three world titles, finishing 20 of 21 races , 15 of which were on the top step of the podium, and against mercury products.... will it help you make your decision??

Craig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.