Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

The GM guys talk mix and match..

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...e/viewall.html
Old 12-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Ilmor - They are in all Mastercrafts boats for the past 4 years. I would say Ilmor LS engines have about 5000 engines in Mastercrafts total maybe a tad more than that. I work on them all the time and really nothing wrong nor major failures with them -. basically keep them maintained and cooled properly you are good to go.
Not sure how many, but their plant is huge and dedicated to just those motors. It looks like they are only upping their production, and we originally planned on going with that motor, but once we got our hands on a MV8 570, it was hard to go back. I think the sound of it alone might be worth it. We also asked around, and we heard the same things over and over - they run an run and run. Just keep them maintained. We went with the 570 because the internals were built by Ilmor. Per their website... The naturally aspirated 570 horsepower engine is hand-built in Ilmor's race engine shop and is based around GM's Performance Parts modern LS architecture cylinder block. All of the internal components are Ilmor-designed and are manufactured using higher strength materials, such as forged steel and forged aluminum, for long-term durability. The MV8 570 also utilizes sophisticated engine technologies like variable valve timing for overall enhanced performance, providing increased lower end torque and high RPM horsepower. The result is a fuel-efficient, compact and lightweight engine, in a beautifully dressed package.

570 page is http://ilmor.com/en/marine/performance/MV8-570.aspx
Old 12-02-2014, 02:32 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Mastercraft starting using Ilmor LS engines in model year 2011. Mastercraft best sales year was 2006 with a tad over 3000's new boat sales. Of course currently that number is down. I would say 1200 to 1800 new boat sales per year would be a good guess. Like I said 4 years of Mastercraft / Ilmor sales would have least put those numbers at 5000 engines sold at the bare min. The 2015 boats are out now and few have sold already - so going on its 5 th year for Ilmor Marine LS based engines.

Mercruiser has not sold 5000 engines to the wakeboard builders even if you total it up for 15 years combined. I think Indmar sells 3800 min of their new LS based engines per year. PCM / Crusader engines was bought out by Correct Craft recently . FYI - they were all LS based on the PCM side. Indmar is very focused on selling and making huge head way with the new Ford Raptor engine plus really want it someday to out sell the GM product. IMO that's their goal at Indmar Marine.

Last edited by BUP; 12-02-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:44 AM
Registered

Reviving this…what are you guys running for oiling systems? I assume not stock pans?
I'm debating replacing the tired 320 EFI's in my 272 with a pair of LS2's or L92's depending on what can be found.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon01
Reviving this…what are you guys running for oiling systems? I assume not stock pans?
I'm debating replacing the tired 320 EFI's in my 272 with a pair of LS2's or L92's depending on what can be found.
Jon,

We have a marine pan that we worked with Morroso to develop. It is a 10qt. capacity with -10 in and out on the pan rail. They have a windage tray and trap doors to control the oil slosh.

Here you can see the port side of the pan and one of the -10 ports.

-Ryan Retter
Retter Engine Development
Old 10-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 40 Posts

Update

Originally Posted by Precision
My engines are done and on the dyno. I can tell you that as with any turbo set up the turbos quiet the idle quite a bit. One my employees came in yesterday while I was tuning the first engine and said it was unlike anything we have ever run before. By far the loudest under power but the quietest at an idle.

I ran out of 91 octane yesterday and it was 5 PM so I had to shut it down anyway. The numerous above are 12 PSI at the start of the pull and finishing at 15PSI. I'm going to try to get the boost control sorted out this morning and see how the torque graph looks once it is producing a flat boost curve.

On a side note. I have done everything I could to minimize transient response, and on the dyno it seems to have worked. Boost comes on just off idle with about 20% throttle. It comes on nice and smooth also, just like a blower. It doesn't come on like a light switch which would most likely lead to blowing the props out getting on plane.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok ........stupid question will a LS motor fit where a 502 sits and not take up any more real estate, 32 fountain weighing options
Old 09-29-2016, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will take up less space. A couple inches in each direction.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Precision
Update
Engine setup looks great, nice work !

No BOV ?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:15 PM
Registered

What are people who are retrofitting these motors to big block boats doing in regards to the weight savings and shifting of the center of gravity?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.