Where ARE all the LSx motors hiding???

Old 10-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What turbos on those LS engines?
Old 10-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They sound pretty rowdy at idle with dry headers and a fairly large cam....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtwwjdHgAr8

They sound pretty good cruising down the lake at 2800-3800 rpms too (Imagine what it sounds like at 6000+!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7gd_PXxn7k
Old 10-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
What are people who are retrofitting these motors to big block boats doing in regards to the weight savings and shifting of the center of gravity?

I can tell you that in my boat, I saved about 500lbs over the stock 310hp 454 that was in there. That obviously has affected the way the boat sits in the water and handles, somewhat. Sitting still in the water, I'd say its 2-3" higher out of the water in the back than it was before. It sits so much higher that the top cap of my outdrive is breaking the surface of the water now. Cruising around with a box stock prop, it handles great. The real difference comes in when you start giving it throttle and trim. With the drive so much closer to the surface, it doesn't take much trim for it to start rooster tailing, but even with the tail, the boat pulls pretty well.

I was initially concerned that I had taken TOO much weight out of the boat, and I was going to create an issue getting the nose of the boat out of the water. I have recently had a couple of conversations with Brett from BBlades and he put that concern to ease. His exact words "Any time you take that much weight out of a boat, no matter where you pull it out of, its always a good thing. I have no doubt that we can work a prop to get the boat handling the way it should.". So next season I will be trying a labbed prop from him, and see how it does. The only thing I am unsure of is how the boat will handle if it becomes airborn. Being that my home lake (Lake Cumberland. KY) rarely gets water big enough to send me airborn, I'm not all that concerned about it.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by corey331
I can tell you that in my boat, I saved about 500lbs over the stock 310hp 454 that was in there. That obviously has affected the way the boat sits in the water and handles, somewhat. Sitting still in the water, I'd say its 2-3" higher out of the water in the back than it was before. It sits so much higher that the top cap of my outdrive is breaking the surface of the water now. Cruising around with a box stock prop, it handles great. The real difference comes in when you start giving it throttle and trim. With the drive so much closer to the surface, it doesn't take much trim for it to start rooster tailing, but even with the tail, the boat pulls pretty well.

I was initially concerned that I had taken TOO much weight out of the boat, and I was going to create an issue getting the nose of the boat out of the water. I have recently had a couple of conversations with Brett from BBlades and he put that concern to ease. His exact words "Any time you take that much weight out of a boat, no matter where you pull it out of, its always a good thing. I have no doubt that we can work a prop to get the boat handling the way it should.". So next season I will be trying a labbed prop from him, and see how it does. The only thing I am unsure of is how the boat will handle if it becomes airborn. Being that my home lake (Lake Cumberland. KY) rarely gets water big enough to send me airborn, I'm not all that concerned about it.
What's the fastest it's been so far?
Old 10-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TBAG
What's the fastest it's been so far?
Not really that fast as of yet. When I was ready to really start hammering on it, I developed a water temp issue. I chased it around for awhile, tried a few different things but ended up getting frustrated and pulled the motor and brought it home since the season is about over anyway. Going to pull it apart and see what I find. I'm also planning on upgrading the heads I have on it to hopefully make some more power.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:02 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

They sound pretty rowdy at idle with dry headers and a fairly large cam....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtwwjdHgAr8

They sound pretty good cruising down the lake at 2800-3800 rpms too (Imagine what it sounds like at 6000+!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7gd_PXxn7k
like this , ls2 406 whit dry exhaust at 6500

https://youtu.be/Dh1AVt_vc28
Old 10-05-2016, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my beast stock 5.3l with twin 62mm turbos running on Holley HP EFI. Best its done so far this yr was 68mph at 5700rpm at 7.6psi. pushing a 25ft pontoon

Motor is a stock Gen III 5.3l with a LS9 cam, Yellow springs, High Volume oil pump, and LS9 Headgastes/ARP studs.

I'm running out of water pressure on long runs with the 2 stage water pump, going to have togo to thru haul pick ups I belive.

I also have exhaust cut-out and I like the quietness for idle around the lake, but the thing sounds oh so nice at 5700rpm..

Here is a few videos of it before the cut-out were added(wife didn't like how noisy it was)

First run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt0zSFNnT0Q
Better one(had blown headgaskets) have since been fixed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_evzDbJoaKU
Old 10-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 603 Likes on 361 Posts

Damn!
Old 10-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reindl Powerboats
I'm actually not sure, we take about every option available,including the CMI Headers. www.ilmor.com has a bunch of information, and I would ask Ian Hawkins or Jessica Gamarra for pricing information when you call. I hear other racers talking about how Ilmor has the best HP for your $$$ value in the market, so I am sure they are very competitive. They also stand behind their product with a warranty and I know they have ski boat motors based on the LS platform with over 1000 hours on them and still running strong.
This guy has some good words of caution when adding stroker kits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsmbbuSq9m0
Old 10-05-2016, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Not really that fast as of yet. When I was ready to really start hammering on it, I developed a water temp issue. I chased it around for awhile, tried a few different things but ended up getting frustrated and pulled the motor and brought it home since the season is about over anyway. Going to pull it apart and see what I find. I'm also planning on upgrading the heads I have on it to hopefully make some more power.
Awesome buddy, hope you get it all worked out over the winter. I'd love to see it in person next year @ Cumberland.

Keep us updated over the winter on the progress!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.