Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Where ARE all the LSx motors hiding??? >

Where ARE all the LSx motors hiding???

Notices

Where ARE all the LSx motors hiding???

Old 10-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a disadvantage to having an aluminum engine with an open cooling system as opposed to an iron one?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Crossett
Is there a disadvantage to having an aluminum engine with an open cooling system as opposed to an iron one?
http://www.usmotors.com/products/Pro...rnaluminum.htm
Old 10-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossett
Crossett, all EFI marine engines have closed cooling.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
I still don't follow your thinking? GM hasn't been producing gen 1 sbc for passenger vehicles for ~10 years, but you can still get a SBC from Mercruiser, AND from GMPP as a crate motor.

It's really not an argument of whether or not it's good business...there MUST be a market for it, based on the fact that there are like 10 different companies advertising LS marine packages from 350 to 700 hp. I just want to know if they are in any boats, and how they run.

Ok, so for argument's sake, say the Ilmor 7.4 MV8 costs $30k + the cost of the drive. It makes 522 hp. How much does a new Mercury 525 cost, with drive? I'm just curious?

Nobody offers marine brackets and accessories for the LS?
http://www.crusaderengines.com/NewFiles/60parts.pdf

Crusader offers several different types of marine engine mount options, as well as oil coolers, heat exhcangers, exhaust manifolds, and yes, even front accessories such as raw water pumps, and USCG starters and alternators. The parts are out there.
EDIT: ^ and this is just if you want to piece your own together (if you're a hodge-podger like I am). There are several hi-po LS options that are turn key, ready to go....but yet again, WHERE ARE THEY? Would all those companies really spend the money to put together a package like that, and never install it in anything other than a ski-boat???
First off, I didn't say this earlier and I should have: I'm a fan of the engine and would like to see it used more. So where I may have sounded like being hard core against the idea, here I am confirming that's not where I'm coming from.

Plain and simple, there is no market demand for these engines. They're still novelties in the marine world. Sorry to throw Raylar under the bus, but ask them how many of their $25k+ LS engines they've sold. And they were first to market with a drop-in ready package.

Just because a bunch of us "would like" to have something, doesn't mean we're willing to pay any price. There's not enough benefit to justify the cost, and only a select few are willing to lead the market and try something unproven. Why would anyone spend $10-15k (just for a base Crusader 6.0) when you could get the same performance for less than half the money?

And a sidebar about aluminum: I don't think Crusader is terribly impressed with these LS engines. Customers are pulling them out and replacing with old-school SBC and BBC. And that link about aluminum corrosion makes no mention of electrolysis, which will destroy aluminum while you watch.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Another plus for the BBC is the used market.....its HUGE....you can pick up used engines with huge power for a fraction of what they cost new...again big in this economy.....exhaust, bell housings, accessories are all readily available at bargain prices....an LS based engine pretty safe to say almost everything is going to have to be brand$$$$new....

But even if all the things you say are true about parts availability etc the makers of these engines again need to take them out to the Poker Run Circuit and the Shootout and show what they can do.....your going to have to Knock the King off its throne

The Poker Run circuit is going to be a tough go.....its big boat country and I doubt very many customers will be convinced to power their 42ft boats with a couple of small blocks even if they do make 700hp and the Poker Run Circuit sets the tone for the whole industry.....they might be better off in racing where their light weight would pay dividends in the turns and quick acceleration.....also for the Poker Run circuit they better look WILD.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Handfulz28, those are some interesting points you raise, and some great discussion. Definitely food for thought.

Pullmytrigger, also some great points....the big money poker runners want crazy paint, crazy interiors, and crazy powerplants.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Registered

Oh, I forgot the new Seven Marine 557...LSA motor.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28
And that link about aluminum corrosion makes no mention of electrolysis, which will destroy aluminum while you watch.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that electrolysis will only be an issue if the electrical system is not functioning properly (i.e. stray current).
Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HarleyDavidson88
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that electrolysis will only be an issue if the electrical system is not functioning properly (i.e. stray current).
It's not just your boat's system, but anybody around you. Obviously the bigger concern is in salt water which carries current better than fresh. There are probably some marinas where you could light a bulb with all the stray current in the water.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered

You will see the ls motors making a break through real soon in the marine world, and it will not be going away any time soon. We are at the beginning stages of this happening. Today, if you wanted one of these motors in your boat, you would have to be very mechanically inclined and work at a machine shop in order to do the project and it be cost effective. However now that companies like the ones listed in the thread have done the research and development, slowly they will be entered into the marine world and it will become more comfortable for a purchaser to put there hard earned money into a ls motor. Just a side note, I have seen 4 digits on a lsx motor and the disassembly of the motor after a few hours of dyno time. This motor will be the cream of the crop in the marine world!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.