Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Where ARE all the LSx motors hiding??? >

Where ARE all the LSx motors hiding???

Notices

Where ARE all the LSx motors hiding???

Old 10-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

The clamp on market is way diferent then the big power I O market...I'm with you and would like to see merc and other venders use the new tech motors in the marine environment.

The R and D is already done the motor works and works well,like I said I want a pair but I aready own a bunch of BBC's

Build it and they will come lol

The clamp ons are less then 100.00 a HP with a 3 to 6 year warranty,the 300hp susuki's on the pontoon were only 24.000 a peice and came with a 6 year warranty thats only 80 bucks a HP with 6 years,controls to prop shaft.

So lets see a 750 I/O with a solid drive do that .

Thats 60.000 with six years warranty stixs to shafts.........man would that help the boating industry or what?

this post should be in th PUI section (I gettin hammered) lol
Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once these LSX set ups become popular, more affordable, it is over for sbc set ups. These LSX platforms dwarf small blocks in the same cubic inches and hp ratio, not to mention that a stock ls crank can handle 1000 hp.. I hope to see them more so in the marine world..

John jr
Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
I wouldn't want to deal with the additional under-hatch heat, and/or trying to find a water jacketed turbine housing for a turbo big enough to feed a healthy 408 cube LS.

The twin screw has my vote for instant off-idle boost, as well as ease of packaging a water-air charge cooler.

Though.....I am kinda partial to big single turbo setups as well
There are a few options for water jacketed turbo housings.

A Whipple would be a much easier bolt on ordeal, but the advantages of a turbo in a boat application would be hard to resist. I think the fab work would be worth it.

Off idle is the only place a Whipple will have an advantage over a turbo. A properly sized turbo will take over by 2500rpm and never look back. Nothing you don't know.

As long as you can get the right turbo, and have time to do the fab work........ turbo>whipple
Old 10-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Precision
Hey Jeff,

Tial sport is now getting into making water jacketed v-band turbo housing. Add some ceramic coating on your other hot parts and your in the house.

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/anyt...-housings.html

Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this LS talk has had me doing research, some pretty cool LS motors.
http://www.waterthunder.com/

Ernie
Old 10-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TopSpin80
All this LS talk has had me doing research, some pretty cool LS motors.
http://www.waterthunder.com/

Ernie
This company you linked offers a 440ci LS7 based motor making 900hp naturally aspirated that comes COMPLETE from plug wires to headers and everything in between for $23,999. They even break it in for you and then replace the break-in oil and oil filter.

It's for an air boat, but what would have to be changed to make it ready for an i/o application? This half the cost of an Ilmor 725 while probably weighing a little less and making 175 more horsepower. Interesting.

http://www.waterthunder.com/fuelinjected.aspx?c=440cid

Last edited by chris@uga; 10-23-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris@uga
This company you linked offers a 440ci LS7 based motor making 900hp naturally aspirated that comes COMPLETE from plug wires to headers and everything in between for $23,999. They even break it in for you and then replace the break-in oil and oil filter.

It's for an air boat, but what would have to be changed to make it ready for an i/o application? This half the cost of an Ilmor 725 while probably weighing a little less and making 175 more horsepower. Interesting.

http://www.waterthunder.com/fuelinjected.aspx?c=440cid

"Complete" is a relative term.

Complete for an airboat doesnt mean complete for a stern drive boat or even that it would work at all or has even been tried- ever.

Sooo when you put a set of water jacket headers (complete eh?) on this mill how long before it reverts water into itself because the cam isn't correct for a sterndrive wet exhaust application.

Whats it idle at? - and what happens when you shift into gear at that idle? On an airboat there probably isnt even a neutral- and certainly no reverse to worry about- dock manners arent an issue.

Where is the sea pump?

Those HP numbers quoted certainly arent with wet headers and marine accessories on them.

My Ilmor was warranted for 24 months and tested by Ilmor engineering exhaustively in a marine environment for hundreds if not thousands of hours before Ilmor let it out of house.

To me it becomes interesting comparison only if one compares HP number to price and ignores absolutely every other variable.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 10-23-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The technology for all that has been discussed here exists...and the tooling to produce these things for the I/O consumer market is at hand. There is presently not a volume market for it.

After the elections next year, hopefully our economy will rebound, credit will become more readily available and we will begin to see the release of this technology to the consumer market. When people don't have jobs and banks are not willing to lend money, recreational sport boating is not very high on the consumer priority list.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sprink58
The technology for all that has been discussed here exists...and the tooling to produce these things for the I/O consumer market is at hand. There is presently not a volume market for it.

After the elections next year, hopefully our economy will rebound, credit will become more readily available and we will begin to see the release of this technology to the consumer market. When people don't have jobs and banks are not willing to lend money, recreational sport boating is not very high on the consumer priority list.
There are customers spending money today to re-power, or if you are still rolling heavy and in the market - buy new.

I love the LSX tech, and have a pretty stout 406 myself & I'm not anti small block, but if I were a parts manufacturer today I wouldn't spend a whole bunch on developing new LSX parts in the marine market.

It has more potential to replace prior gen small blocks than prior gen big blocks.

Uncle Dave
Old 10-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

here is what they sound like gota love it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05UxJ...etailpage#t=1s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.