Old 11-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Glassdave
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ted G
That was BT. More important is the response and retrieval times during the Page accident. Something or a bunch of somethings failed miserably and that is what any investigation should be aimed at.
Steve said he tried to get Joey out but couldn't.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
the water at speed wants to follow a curved surface. Think hook and rocker on the bottom of a boat. It can be a very destructive force on a boat that has flipped or stuffed, it can pull hatches open, blow panels out etc . . .
Dave

is the stripes doing the same thing in a way that the Window strips do on a Nascar Cup car rear window and rear trunk lid. on the Cup car it help to slow down the car from spinning by breaking up the air across the roof , rear window and trunk ?

Thank you
Jim
Old 11-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
UIM increased weights for 2010, but nothing was mandated and weights were not increased in the USA. Fury races in the US
Is this being discussed with the US organisations?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Registered

@Gripenland, I took my boat out of competition in 2010 to improve its safety amongst other things, and do not know if any US org discussed mandating safety improvements like UIM. My feeling was that the majority of US racers must feel they are indestructible and are perhaps satisfied that these type of accidents simply will not happen to them...now the tragedies have struck close to home...will we now see a concerted effort to improve safety?...and/or slow the boats until the safety is up to a higher level... I doubt, Cat Lite rules upto this year created one of the most competitive and even racing out there, now ecu's can be modified at will, run any gear ratio, do what you want almost except don't touch engine internals... and I don't even know who is regulating that, so maybe next year a 525 boat will run a kilo at 150mph?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Registered

SpecialFX, you seem like a man who takes your safety seriously . My hat of to you!

I'm personally not a fan of reducing speeds. I would rather see an increase in safety.
Yes, a cockpit that is safe in high speeds will weigh a bit it is possible to build. With some good engineering the weight might even be acceptable.

However, the politics behind safety in the sport is a different matter. Not my area to be honest.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

Has there been any attempt to put together anything since the Lavin guidelines? George sent me a copy several years ago and it has a lot of well thought out info, it is twenty plus years old but still well worth having. Much of it still applies but could use updating given todays speeds.

FX i saw some pics of what went into your canopy. Probably one of the most well thought out mods i have ever seen. DW is the man.

I hate to bring up past accidents but what is the thought on prop rotation on cats? I didnt give it much consideration until we put the SS 30DW cat on its lid in St Clair while spinning in. I had made a mental note once when i saw a post where T2X mentioned they considered outlawing spinning in on race cats. Since then i have kept quiet track of rotation vs cat accidents and an overwhelming amount of them were spinning in. I can actually only think of one that was not but showed major skeg damage leading me to suspect underwater strike in that case.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
Has there been any attempt to put together anything since the Lavin guidelines?
Last year UIM made safety cockpits mandatory in offshore class 3C. Led by Bob Wartinger they created guidelines on how to build cockpits, complementing the rule book.
The guidelines are a pretty good starting point IMHO.
There is still room fore some improvement in the guidelines but nothing major.

They give examples on how to estimate the forces on the cockpit and also examples on how to dimension the support structure etc, etc.

Last edited by Gripenland; 11-18-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts

On that note i thought i had heard Boeing had some say in the mask that went on the Talkin Trash Skater.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Registered

The talking trash mask should disperse or redirect the energy of the water on immediate impact away from the canopy. Read the T2X and other comments on prop rotation too, guess what...now I will not even consider inboard rotation dailing in the boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.