Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International >

Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International

Notices

Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International

Old 12-13-2011, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard a good word about John Carbonall but I guess M Alweiss is a POS too... So sad in today world there are no "accidents" there is always someone to blame and $$$ to be had...
Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
Again questions need to be answered and change needs to be effected LAW SUITS do not need to decay the sport anymore than it has

I am out for now
I'm sorry that you had a bad legal problem following an accident but is your event a fair comparison to this one?

Don't questions of negligence need to be asked and answered? Doesn't the rescue process need to be reviewed for problems and corrected? Maybe even Coast Guard safety requirements to put on an event needs to be looked at before an event permit is issued? If gross negligence is found, why shouldn't the family receive compensation?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Don't questions of negligence need to be asked and answered? Doesn't the rescue process need to be reviewed for problems and corrected? Maybe even Coast Guard safety requirements to put on an event needs to be looked at before an event permit is issued? If gross negligence is found, why shouldn't the family receive compensation?
Thanks Nort, your post is a perfect bare bones, no bs version of the questions that need to be asked and answered.

Everyone involved needs some resolution, and sometimes a civil suit is the only way to get answers.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Never heard a good word about John Carbonall but I guess M Alweiss is a POS too... So sad in today world there are no "accidents" there is always someone to blame and $$$ to be had...
I suspect that there are quite a few people who will disagree with your "guess" regarding Michael Alweiss. Wihout ever having met Mr. Carbonell, I will decline to comment on him...
Old 12-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
I suspect that there are quite a few people who will disagree with your "guess" regarding Michael Alweiss. Wihout ever having met Mr. Carbonell, I will decline to comment on him...
+1
Old 12-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
I'm sorry that you had a bad legal problem following an accident but is your event a fair comparison to this one?

Yes questions need to be answered and solutions found, but NO the family should not benefit monetarily because of an accident Life is a risk and REAL damages should be paid by insurance companies such as property damage, funeral expense, travel ext... after that NO ONE should get rich because a family member had made their own decisions on what activities to participate in. Joey was not a novice and knew the risks I think it demeans his name by getting wealthy off his demise, and trust me the lawyers are not suing to make a point, they are suing to make money on someone else's demise

In our suit, they figured some of the dollar amount to sue for was based on the how much one of the deceased men would make in his life time. And his wife is owed that. This was a laughable reason, and I argued there was no guarantee that they would have been married the rest of their lives since the divorce rate is 50% . But in his death the wife is getting a guarantee of money the rest of her life based on the supposed income made by her hubby. (who knew if he would hold his job the rest of his life)

Fix the issues ,spend the money making it safer, not to make some lawyer and a family rich

Life is full of pain and suffering and NO ONE should be compensated for pain and suffering life is tough and now lawyers make it easy to sue for big bucks with the "no fee guarantee" I will bet you SBI or the insurance companies are not getting a "no fee guarantee" from their lawyers

There are no guarantees in life and to expect money above and beyond actual damages is just demeaning the life that is lost

My heart goes out to the families of those that lost loved ones but I feel less compassion when they try to make money on their loved ones demise (above and beyond real damages) THERE IS NO GAURENTEES IN LIFE!!! and money never brings them back. Seldom is an award of money funneled into making things better it just makes a few people rick (again my opinion)
Old 12-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered

Wow this thread really seems to be bringing out the worst in people. How in the hell can any one of us sit here and say what is right or wrong?!

Bottomline a family lost a loved one and there are MANY questions that have gone unanswered - and continue to go unaswered. In my humble opinion it seems SBI gave the APPEARANCE of a safe racing evnvironment yet there were many things not done properly which border on gross negligence. This will get decided in court, not in an OSO forum. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty anyways???

And by the way the Gratton family doesnt "owe" this sport anything. They lost a father and husband and its possible it could have been avoided. They have every right in the world to pursue this until they are satisfied. Its easy for us to yell from the sidelines but put yourself in there shoes for a minute.

I'm as against a frivolous lawsuit as the next guy...but this one seems far from it. Again, this will be sorted out in court and I hope the family gets the answers and conclusions they deserve.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing.

Why would a family not have the right to get the complete truth of what happened to their father or husband? Why should they be denied the right to recieve damages IF it is found that negligence is to blame. Why would you say Alwiess is a POS when you really have no clue who he is our how this case came about? Finally why should the family care about "offshore"? They owe nothing to it and have given everything. What have the others with these opinion given to "offshore"?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your guess couldn't be more wrong, both on Allweiss and the "blame and $$$."
Old 12-13-2011, 11:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 346 Likes on 117 Posts

WOW.......just WOW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.