Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International >

Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International

Notices

Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International

Old 12-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unreal!!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:47 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

I don't think Allweiss is going to play games with a promoters arrogance or stalling, and this is his early way of laying down the gauntlet.... an extremely unfortunate incident, a suffering family, made worse by event inadequacy's and after-the-fact uncooperation, is what i'm reading. I wish everyone the best positive outcome, all considered.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by On Time
I agree that flaming as an emotional vent is silly. But this "lawyer" sort of reeks attitude. And do any of us think that if there really was a preventable delay in getting to the victim that SBI has not already been discussing improved rescue procedures, before the threat of lawsuit arose?
Sometimes, as in the space program, even the keenest minds cannot foresee all possibilities and we learn by experience. My take from the article is that this yahoo, as all plaintiff attorneys do, will do everything he can to make this accident actually appear deliberate if not pre planned.

Do you have any idea who that "lawyer" is/was? He ran APBA LLC , has raced, and is absolutely the right person for this job. And yes, I do believe there was a preventable delay and/or several other "preventable" things that caused Joey's death. And I also believe as I stated in another thread that this should not be swept under the rug, which is EXACTLY what the race organization wants. There is no time to be investigating and improving safety when you are busy promoting and planning another profitable race season for 2012.
If everything that was supposed to be in place had worked properly there is no valid reason for this fatality, and if there is a valid reason then something has been missed all this time, and we need to know what that is. People may need to be put under oath because the truth may hurt...

Wait for the results and wish the Gratton family well, they deserve the truth.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROADHOG
Sometimes the only way to get to the cause of death is LITIGATION.
Oh come on. That is just wrong. INVESTIGATION solves problems. LITIGATION makes them worse. And divides necessary resources that could be used to solve problems.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone refresh my memory as to what happened to Alweiss and the APBA and how we arrived at what exists now?SBI, OPA and OSS.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned

Sad you take a risk when racing not to take sides but JC did the best he could do for saftey .I think theres a lot of greed &hate out there this is going to be a long tread!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Registered

Actually sounds like a valid claim, or at least a few valid points to pursue. Just cause everyone here loves the sport does not mean that SBI and John Carbonell are the almighty and can do no wrong... Let the lawyer find answers and hold people accountable if there are people that need to b, maybe , just maybe if things are different next time the outcome will be more favorable for the racers.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Registered

Trying not to point fingers and state this toward any of the 3 that passed, but I have to say this quote pisses me off.

"and there was no reason whatsoever for him to drown"

I am the type of guy that trys very hard to cover my own asz and wants to take complete responsibility of my actions. now you look at these million dollar boats, teams, & drivers who knows the high risk every time they strap in and race. with all the money why wouldnt they have an SCBA right next to them? You can get a 10 min SCBA for about $500. I truly applaud any race team that does but for anyone that does not I would let 100% neglagence fall on their shoulders! Rules or no rules.
Again I do not know the circumstances in which the recent losses occured, just feelings on community in general!
Old 12-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bwd
Can someone refresh my memory as to what happened to Alweiss and the APBA and how we arrived at what exists now?SBI, OPA and OSS.
Do a search here you'll find some threads about it.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mreedy
Trying not to point fingers and state this toward any of the 3 that passed, but I have to say this quote pisses me off.

"and there was no reason whatsoever for him to drown"

I am the type of guy that trys very hard to cover my own asz and wants to take complete responsibility of my actions. now you look at these million dollar boats, teams, & drivers who knows the high risk every time they strap in and race. with all the money why wouldnt they have an SCBA right next to them? You can get a 10 min SCBA for about $500. I truly applaud any race team that does but for anyone that does not I would let 100% neglagence fall on their shoulders! Rules or no rules.
Again I do not know the circumstances in which the recent losses occured, just feelings on community in general!

Pretty sure Pages boat had full time oxygen. Not sure why that didn't help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.