Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International >

Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International

Notices

Gratton Family to File Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Super Boat International

Old 12-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 427 Likes on 181 Posts

If the lawsuit is truely about safety in the sport, how about the lawyer and family come out right now and say that 50% of any damages will be donated to doing the proper research and development of better safety equipment and canopy construction. If the biggest hurdle for this development is money, this situation could very well take down that hurdle, and make it safer for all future races. I did not know Joey, but I bet that he would be honored if this was to come out of the tragedy.

If they don't come out with such a statement, it sure seems like, on the surface anyway, that it is more about the money.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JROMY
...When you look at a wreck like Dan Wheldon in IndyCar, everything that lead to the tragic death was a complete 1 in a million fluke. There never should have been multiple cars, flying through the air, upside down, bursting into flames. Every state of the art safety feature was in place, but it happened.
Hardly. The IRL/IndyCar had ignored warnings for years that the rules that created "formation racing" would lead to this exact outcome. They got lucky for years, dodging (drivers) deaths in gigantic accidents that lead to spectator deaths, driver paralysis and other career-ending injuries.

Originally Posted by JROMY
...The accidents this year in Key West, while not preventable, certainly never should have lead to death, or even near death... These weren't fluke accidents. They were typical accidents that could be expected of any raceboat traveling at the speed they were. The raceboats had structurally non-reinforced canopies, no requirement for full time oxygen, escape hatches that allegedly didn't open, etc. etc. On top of that, from posts on this site, you had rescue boats with no plan for where to take injured, Coast Guard with no clue either, and apparently no ambulance or Medivac helicopter flight (which everyone in KW knows is necessary even if you have a Moped crash). While the crashes would have happened, these deaths were completely preventable...If we are going to race, we can do far better than this.
Right on the money.

Here are some questions that I will be keen to learn the answers to once the dust settles:
  1. Is there a set of consistent safety regulations for each of the various classes?
  2. Are these regulation consistently enforced?
  3. Did both of the boats involved in fatalities pass these safety inspections in Key West?
  4. Do ALL boats have to pass these regulations AT EVERY EVENT?
  5. Were ALL the safety crews properly briefed EACH DAY?
  6. Is there an INDEPENDENT investigation underway by a group with no affiliations or relation to SBI or any of its members? (IndyCar has appointed an independent group, how about SBI?)
  7. Willl there be constructive recommendations as a result of these deaths, and will those recommendations be acted on? (This is the only point that really matters.)

Last edited by C_Spray; 12-09-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crossett
lawyers are ruining this country
No. Emotionally hurt or Greedy people might, but a lawyer cannot file a case without a plaintiff.

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Lawyers like to pretend there is no assumption of risk.
Lawyers invented the phrase "assumption of the risk".

Originally Posted by SpeedGirl
I agree with Craig.

What make you all think Alweiss is the one who contacted the Gratton Family....
In most states, in person solicitation of a plaintiff is an ethical violation. If he contacted the family in an improper manner, there could be a problem.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those that say nothing good can become of this, I disagree. If it takes litigation to make SBI examine and change or amend some of its policy's about safety and prevent the lose of life its a small price to pay. Mistakes may have been made, or perhaps SBI's measures will be found to have been reasonable.
It wont bring Joey, or the others back, but possibly prevent a repeat of this in the future.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
I agree Mark. The only thing that I can think of is if Joey was knocked unconscious he couldn't use the SCBA air. Truly a sad accident and situation all around.
I tryed not to single out the Gratton event but my statement was based off the quote from the article
"“One of the most of upsetting things about this entire scenario is that Joey Gratton would absolutely, positively be alive today but for the gross negligence of SBI,” said Allweiss. “Joey Gratton didn’t die ‘of injuries sustained in the crash,’ as (SBI head) John Carbonell has said. He had no injuries.".

From the 4th and 7th paragraphs of article the lawyer is painting a very disturbing picture!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:47 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

When Cleveland Construction rolled in the prior year, the entire escape inside the cockpit was all caught on video.

If indeed Page's boat had onboard camera's inside the cockpit, I wonder who has the footage ?

That would certainly explain exactly what went on during the time of the rescue. Even the cameras outside the boat would tell a lot of the story.

I would find it hard to believe they had no cameras at all on the boat....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 12-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
I would find it hard to believe they had no cameras at all on the boat....
If this is the same Big Thunder Marine at 1.47 on this old vid. ?
It seems they would have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTHxM...eature=related

Last edited by DONZI; 12-10-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Registered

Can we at least agree on one thing...it's breathing air...medical grade breathing air...Not oxygen that should have been in the cockpit and either turned on and ready for use or on full time to an aviators mask of some kind with an ambient air bypass until needed. Oxygen is only needed when the oxygen concentration falls from the 20% found in breathing air. It's an oxidizer and would support combustion far beyond that of breathing air and has no place in a cockpit like these.

Everybody loves to hate a lawyer till they need one....
Old 12-10-2011, 07:30 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DONZI
If this is the same Big Thunder Marine at 1.47 on this old vid. ?
It seems they would have.
The recovery in question is for Page Motorsports boat.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 12-10-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Registered

C-Spray. You're absolutely correct and I edited my post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.