Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
First 32’ Doug Wright “Pleasure Boat” Ready for Testing in Two to Three Weeks >

First 32’ Doug Wright “Pleasure Boat” Ready for Testing in Two to Three Weeks

Notices

First 32’ Doug Wright “Pleasure Boat” Ready for Testing in Two to Three Weeks

Old 01-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Has it ever seen water? Last I somone was sending it to Teague in CA to have the rigging completed.

Anxious to see this new Pleasure model, the DW's have sweet lines!
Old 01-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Hahaha, you're alive.

Not in Australia, behind a house that is for sale in Miami,
Saw it beached on the sandbar in Haulover last year. Neat looking boat
Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328

The difference is those boats were canopy boats modified to become pleasure boats. This model was designed to be an open cockpit wrap around windshield pleasure boat right from the start.

Take a look at the Black and Silver one Grant did and you will see the canopy. The Silver one that went to California Greg Faulkners boat was also a race boat convert.

Whereas the model herein is completely designed to be a pleasure boat albeit with a winning racing heritage.

nice project anxious to see the boat from a different perspective. outboards are a great package and should be bullet proof. i don’t understand the special part as if i am reading this correctly, the thing makes yours the truly first pleasure boat in your eyes is that you have a different windshield than the other? i would hope there is more to it than this. congratulations
Old 01-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Congratulations Kap......I was wondering when your project was going to start to get some airtime...if your speed #'s vs fuel consumption #'s we discussed come to fruition you have a real winner on your hands
Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullhead
Congratulations Kap......I was wondering when your project was going to start to get some airtime...if your speed #'s vs fuel consumption #'s we discussed come to fruition you have a real winner on your hands
Hey Marc:

We still love your beautiful boat it's just the fuel bill we could do without...laughing!

Well at 130 gallons we should have between 286 to 325 miles of cruising range. The price of gas is always a factor when you boat over 100+ hours a year.

It is almost ready for water waiting on a just few things to then go out and water test.

We definitely need to catch up in 2012!

KAP
Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting you bring this up. I spoke to Mr. Fred Keikhaefer CEO of Mercury Marine on this very subject at Desert Storm. When asked when are we going to see a 400HP Outboard he said "I don't think so."

I would be happy with a race version of the 300XS motor. If they hopped it up to 350HP and no warranty it would definitely garner some serious attention. It will probably never happen...unless outboards can somehow increase profitability

KAP

P.S. CashBar is right on point when he says outboard power is the future for midsize cats under 32 feet. Reliable 100MPH performance with fuel economy to match the performance.
You will see some big hp coming from the 300xs block in the not to distant future. Just not from mercury. Should be awesome.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 832 Likes on 227 Posts

Interesting you bring this up. I spoke to Mr. Fred Keikhaefer CEO of Mercury Marine on this very subject at Desert Storm. When asked when are we going to see a 400HP Outboard he said "I don't think so."

I would be happy with a race version of the 300XS motor. If they hopped it up to 350HP and no warranty it would definitely garner some serious attention. It will probably never happen...unless outboards can somehow increase profitability for the company.

The difference is those boats were canopy boats modified to become pleasure boats. This model was designed to be an open cockpit wrap around windshield pleasure boat right from the start.

Take a look at the Black and Silver one Grant did and you will see the canopy. The Silver one that went to California Greg Faulkners boat was also a race boat convert.

Whereas the model herein is completely designed to be a pleasure boat albeit with a winning racing heritage.

KAP

P.S. CashBar is right on point when he says outboard power is the future for midsize cats under 32 feet. Reliable 100MPH performance with fuel economy to match the performance.
Kap, I'm really not sure why you are touting your setup as the "future" of performance boating for midsize cats under 32'. These setups have been around since the late '80s. And as far as the Optimax motors, Rick Bowling had a set on his 28 Skater way back in 2003 when they came out (I bought his 300PMs and put them on my 28). I think you're new boat is going to be a great rig for what you want it for, but it's definitely not revolutionary by any means. The Loan Shark 32 DW already exists, so it's not like nobody has seen a pleasure cockpit DW before. Please explain to me/us what is so revolutionary about your new setup and what makes it the "future" of performance boating. And if you think it's the reliability/fuel mileage equation, guess again! I've owned two 28s with outboards and my 30 with inboards, and I can tell you right now for certain that my inboard 30 is more reliable than either of my outboard 28s were (and I've owned 2.5s, 3.0s and 3.2s). As for fuel economy, cruising at the same speed (100mph) my inboard will not burn any more fuel than your outboard will, because you will be WOT burning 27 gph per motor, and I will be at 1/3 throttle burning the same gph. I think outboard powered boats are great (you know I own three of them), but on the size boat you are putting them on, they lose their advantages over the inboard packages. Again, don't take this the wrong way Kap, I think you are building a really nice piece, I just don't understand your posts about how it is going to revolutionize performance boating.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
You will see some big hp coming from the 300xs block in the not to distant future. Just not from mercury. Should be awesome.
Comment:

I believe your correct.

CJ Hoffman will be attempting the Kilo Run at the Salton Sea with some monster outboard power. Allegedly, putting out 390HP, at least this is what I was told...he has a twin set on his Mach 22 running north of 130 MPH.

That is hauling the mail in such a low freeboard boat.

KAP

P.S. Skater30 you just need to be a little patient trust me you will not be disappointed.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Skater30
Kap, I'm really not sure why you are touting your setup as the "future" of performance boating for midsize cats under 32'. These setups have been around since the late '80s. And as far as the Optimax motors, Rick Bowling had a set on his 28 Skater way back in 2003 when they came out (I bought his 300PMs and put them on my 28). I think you're new boat is going to be a great rig for what you want it for, but it's definitely not revolutionary by any means. The Loan Shark 32 DW already exists, so it's not like nobody has seen a pleasure cockpit DW before. Please explain to me/us what is so revolutionary about your new setup and what makes it the "future" of performance boating. And if you think it's the reliability/fuel mileage equation, guess again! I've owned two 28s with outboards and my 30 with inboards, and I can tell you right now for certain that my inboard 30 is more reliable than either of my outboard 28s were (and I've owned 2.5s, 3.0s and 3.2s). As for fuel economy, cruising at the same speed (100mph) my inboard will not burn any more fuel than your outboard will, because you will be WOT burning 27 gph per motor, and I will be at 1/3 throttle burning the same gph. I think outboard powered boats are great (you know I own three of them), but on the size boat you are putting them on, they lose their advantages over the inboard packages. Again, don't take this the wrong way Kap, I think you are building a really nice piece, I just don't understand your posts about how it is going to revolutionize performance boating.

I wondered about alot of the same things....????
Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a Talon 22 pleasure I owned from 1993-2000. Yep, twin outboard tunnels sure are fun!
Attached Thumbnails -talon1.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.