Ilmor High-Performance unveils MV8 570 Small Block >

Ilmor High-Performance unveils MV8 570 Small Block

Notices

Ilmor High-Performance unveils MV8 570 Small Block

Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
To you and ILMORDude, Believe I may have not made myself clear. I was not making any reference to your fine marine motor program. In fact, direct reference was made to Glasdave's mention of his liking to the LSX platform. Dave and I have talked previously about GM crate motors in marine use. In my case, using the ZZ502 as my marine motor project =
Yeah, I got that, was just keeping the facts going from page to page. Are you doing your ZZ yourself? In any case, good luck with it!!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Registered

A project that started wayyyyyy back and just now coming to the finish line. Myself and two other well respected engineers been involved in this project design and build. The theme is to transform the ZZ502 into a marine performance motor while keeping as much of the stock parts as possible. Build as much reliable power possible and keep it under 6000 rpm.

If I had started this project today, it would be LS based for sure. BTW, the motor had seen some early dyno time at Jim Stites place. Early baseline of "where not to go".
Old 02-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

pay no attention to that rotax man he is a freind of mine and is full of shaving cream just kidding ay rich get those motors over here please and thank you
Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JIMKID Motorsports
They bleed off the lifter at low speed and will be better. Fuel all around and better torque big blocks give up. Your days are marked sorry
Ive seen your awesome setups, and think you ar probably the furthest along of any builder using this platform Ive seen on these boards or on the water.

(the guys you took on the rocking ride that were absolutely silent until the end was just beautiful BTW. )

I want to think that the big block is on its way out, and I'm a fan of the LSX technology,and anything Ilmor does in general - but I thinks its a bit early to call this one in light of some the of late vast cubic inch increases we've seen out of the standard package BBC.

Example an aluminum injected 632 BBC is nearly as light as these engines and belts out serious top and bottom end power in a package you can get tons of parts for (like high perf manifolds that dont leak after 5 seasons)

all this goodness in a simple package no bigger than a standard BBC. Simple, effective, and I can fix it.

Then you have the really killer stuff like Alexis 800Cubic inch monster- super simple BRUTALLY powerful.

The towel isnt thrown in yet on the BBC, but its getting nipped at for sure by offerings like this Ilmor 570 which will be and outstanding mill.

UD
Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A question was raised on another thread regarding Ilmor's engineering capability.

Ilmor history.

The photos below are from Ilmor's web site and show the internals that are used in their 7.4 engine.
Attached Thumbnails Ilmor High-Performance unveils MV8 570 Small Block-7.4crank.jpg   Ilmor High-Performance unveils MV8 570 Small Block-7.4rotate.jpg   Ilmor High-Performance unveils MV8 570 Small Block-7.4heads.jpg  

Last edited by C_Spray; 02-25-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ILMORdude
Our dyno(s) run ALOT. Durability is key in the marine world as most everyone knows on here. We look forward to sending this new piece to MANY different builders!
What is your durability test schedule?

Michael
Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
What is your durability test schedule?

Michael
Thats not something we normally discuss in public. I respectfully plead the 5th.

I did see that you started another thread on this topic. Should be interesting to follow.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Dave the real kicker for these motors is fuel consumption with gas going where it is wait and see these these things kill the big block don't get me wrong I love the big block but love passing the gas Pump more

Last edited by JIMKID Motorsports; 02-26-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave

I want to think that the big block is on its way out...

UD
NOOOOOO!

That is a bummer to even think about.. But your right. Small blocks like Jim kids and Ilmor are headed in the right direction.

I will be a big block guy until I die. There is no substitute for a bad ass set of PSI blowers!!

Tom

Last edited by Tborisch; 02-26-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Very impressive package! It should sell very well.

Kurt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.