Ilmor High-Performance unveils MV8 570 Small Block >

Ilmor High-Performance unveils MV8 570 Small Block

Notices

Ilmor High-Performance unveils MV8 570 Small Block

Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ILMORdude
Yeah, I got that, was just keeping the facts going from page to page. Are you doing your ZZ yourself? In any case, good luck with it!!
When I posted that "if I were to start a motor project today, it would be LS based for sure", I really would still wait for one more step in marine performance.

Direct Injection. When JimKid speaks of fuel consumption (or lack of) with the LS motor, just add to that a DI fuel system.

I will go on the record and state that "ILMOR will introduce the first DI marine performance motor".
Disclaimer: First non-outboard marine motor.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Registered

28 Pantera or Active Thunder, I think a single would work well, a twin would just Rock. Doug

Last edited by outriggers; 02-26-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
...I will go on the record and state that "ILMOR will introduce the first DI marine performance motor". Disclaimer: First non-outboard marine motor.
+1. Safe bet. I heard somewhere that the next generation of GM auto engines will be direct injection. Between Ilmor's existing LS-based engine program and the fact that they are building and supporting the new DI Chevrolet Indy Car engine, it's just a matter of time. I'd say that Ilmor has a pretty good line into GM Powertrain's resources.

I'd also hazard a guess that the 24 hour WOT test is only a small part of Ilmor's endurance testing.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
+1. Safe bet. I heard somewhere that the next generation of GM auto engines will be direct injection. Between Ilmor's existing LS-based engine program and the fact that they are building and supporting the new DI Chevrolet Indy Car engine, it's just a matter of time. I'd say that Ilmor has a pretty good line into GM Powertrain's resources.

I'd also hazard a guess that the 24 hour WOT test is only a small part of Ilmor's endurance testing.
The benefit of direct injection comes with light engine load conditions, where the thermal efficiency is improved with a startified charge condition. At high loads, often encountered in marine engine operating condtions, the engine would run in a homogeneous charge condition, and no efficiency benefit would be realized. I guess we will see what manifold pressure that cross-over point occurs when the new GM engines are released next year, and where that tracks on the "propeller curve".

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 02-26-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
The benefit of direct injection comes with light engine load conditions, where the thermal efficiency is improved with a startified charge condition. At high loads, often encountered in marine engine operating condtions, the engine would run in a homogeneous charge condition, and no efficiency benefit would be realized. I guess we will see what manifold pressure that cross-over point occurs when the new GM engines are released next year, and where that tracks on the "propeller curve".

Michael
Respectfully disagree with you on the "light engine load conditions". See the below link. Rotax (aka Bombardier) has direct injection on both their 600 and 800 2-stroke snowmobile motors. Given the variable clutch system used on those sleds, the motors are under a constant load.
http://www.ski-doo.com/technologies/...2-strokes.aspx
Old 03-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
yes, it would be interesting to see those curves laying on top of one another. Even so though, before declaring a winner we still should keep in mind the 570 is small and lighter, so for those boats that may have twin small blocks, going to twin big blocks is not a possibility. This can be a great alternative for us folks stuck with small blocks.
+1!
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Anarchy Powerboats
And if Ian keeps his word we will get the first one into our single 26'. It won't make it into our display boat for desert storm but into the next one that is being submitted to the magazines for testing.

fyi boat above was produced by previous owner of the molds, our version will vary.
When do you expect to receive one of these MV8 570's? That should be a great running package for a single 26. How does that hull run today with standard power? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:42 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Diesels seem to never ever had a problem with loading and DI, The crappy fuel forced upon us by Idiots and the turbo charging I think the DI is the way to go even 20 years ago when it should have been common, we have NASCAR still using 30 year old technology while Formula 1 has been playing with Cam less engines for a while.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
[IMG]
Sharkey. Would you mind if I borrow this image for my desktop? That's wicked looking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.